EM1-mk2?

Gary Naka

@Greg M and @Mary Doo and others

I got the OK to get a new camera :D

So I am at a decision point, do a get a mk2 during the Olympus trade up program, or

. . . wait for the mk3? Whenever it gets released and at whatever price it gets released at.

I kinda think a mk3 is around the corner, but when, what price and what new functions/features.

The talk this year is an EM5-mk3, but will it be an EM1-mk3 instead?

Then again, the EM1-mk3 may not come for a couple years.

I was thinking about the EM1X that Greg has, but it is 2x the cost of the mk2.

And in my head, I can't justify the cost difference.

There are comments from Olympus confirming that they will be releasing an EM-5 mkIII, but I have not seen any rumors about an EM-1 Mk3. I believe Olympus desperately needs the EM-5 mkIII ASAP to remain competitive in the $1K midrange ILC market. I guess you can either pull the trigger on the current EM-1 Mk ii or wait to see what features / performance the long awaited new EM-5 has to offer (and at what price). I do not believe that EMIX image quality is materially better than the current EM-1 Mkii, and for me, a 1kg camera is not something my spine would allow me to carry.

. . . , and for me, a 1kg camera is not something my spine would allow me to carry.

Yes, the weight EM1X would be pushing be back up to DX/FX territory. A place that I came from, and don't want to go back to for a standard carry camera. I'm getting to old for that + an injured back.

IMHO, not putting PDAFs in the new EM5 would be a catastrophic error. All of the midrange mirrorless competition (at or under $1K) including Fuji, Canon, Sony, and Panasonic have PDAFs or other tech to provide good continuous AF and tracking performance. I never use anything but S-AF with my EM-5 mk1 because it's C-AF performance is essentially non existent. Without PDAF in the upcoming EM-5, I would likely look to exit the Olympus system.

I can't see a new E1 MkIII until 2020, unless the E1MX absolutely tanks, which I don't think it will. If you need a camera, wait for a deal on the E1 MkII, it's a great body, although as you know the menus will either enlarge or destroy your brain.
Robin Smith

• 3 weeks later...

Firmware 3.0 for the E-M1 Mark II almost certainly pushed a Mark 3 body into at least next year and I agree, the Mark 3 version of the E-M5 HAS to include some form of phase detect autofocus. It's already one generation late being introduced in that series.There are plenty of other feature differences between the E-M5 series and E-M1/X series.

Even owning the E-M1X, I use the E-M1 Mark II plenty. Taking it out today with the 12-200mm M. Zuiko, 7-14mm f2.8 and 17mm f1.2 for a 4-5 hour sunrise/morning photo hike around the lake.

As a DXO Photo Lab 2 preferred processor for my Olympus images, I am glad to see the 12-200mm f3.5-6.3 M. Zuiko will finally be supported at some point during July.