Elon Musk's Cherry Red Tesla Roadster In Space Images

I think the images of Elon Musk's Cherry Red Tesla Roadster In Space are so cool. The man is a living Tony Stark. But I am looking at some of those stunning images and wondering if they are a composite or CGI. Some of the images, both the car and the Earth are so sharp, that must be a very high F-Stop, of course, I would imagine Elon Musk can afford the greatest cameras and optics. I wonder what the cameras were and how they were set up to take those photos. I am not saying the car isn't out there in space, just the presentation we saw may have been tweaked a bit. Maybe not. I would like to know more how they pulled off those stunning shots. I mean I can't get an image of a car here on Earth and the moon in one image razor sharp without doing a composite. The Earth has to be thousands of miles away in the background. What lens is doing that? What do you think?

Hope these links will stay good, if not do a Google search.

LINK

LINK

LINK

Edited by Mark Keefer
Cheers, Mark

Just saw the clip of Elon Musk watching the video live and saying it looked fake, that proves it is real because if it was CGI it would have been so much better. Probably true, the CGI would be better. Still I think we need to send up a pro photographer to verify. Maybe he would be cool enough to send one of us up to get some good shots. Who is up for a space photo mission. If you were asked, how could you say no. Would you go?

How cool would it be, to be Elon Musk's Space X photographer. The man has so much passion for this, he needs a photographer equally driven.

I could see it now, LINK

Edited by Mark Keefer
Cheers, Mark

"Iron Man" Tony Stark is a superficial character played by an equally superficial actor, Robert Downy Jr. On the whole, this describes Elon Musk perfectly. Tesla fans across the world anticipate the roadster's fall to earth, hoping to be the first to actually receive delivery on something Musk has promised. The failure rate of his rockets is comparable to the deplorable performance of NASA's predecessor in the late 1950's. That was a national disgrace, leading to advanced STEM courses in middle schools and beyond in the US, and eventually the surface of the moon. Where does Musk lead us, beyond idol worship?

Billions in taxpayer dollars to build a car only the wealthy can afford.

Musk spent $100 Million of his own money for this launch from what I have been reading. The man has a net worth of over $29 Billion. I don't think he needs tax dollars. He can leave the planet whenever he wants. Also, they have a $35,000 Tesla now. And used Tesla's will eventually trickle down.;) Though I really want the $250,000 Roadster, I don't think it is going to happen for me.

Cheers, Mark

Just now, I happened upon one of those many Internet slideshows of famous photographs, this series titled "Rare Photos from History." Apropos of this thread, the series included this one . . .

LINK

The caption below it reads:

"Famed and often under-appreciated inventor Nikola Tesla sits amidst his lab as his magnifying transmitter high voltage generator emits bolts of electricity in December 1899."

We didn't need dialogue. We had faces!

The photography aspect of it is neat.

I can't see much redemption for any of the rest of it.

Launching a car into space?

I started the "People are Awesome" thread only to have it get locked but I see this kind of thing as an example of people being awesome. On the one hand, sending a car into orbit around the sun is rather pointless. So is doing a 1080 on a snowboard. But they are examples of some of the fantastic things people can do. The car in space is great PR and hopefully inspires future generations of adventurers. The rocket that launched that car is now the most powerful rocket in the world and is reusable (if it don't crash on re-entry) bringing the cost of putting things into space down.

So along with the PR stunt, there was genuine practical value in what was accomplished. But even if there wasn't, I see another kind of value in it. Just like there's value in art, in spectacle, and in achievement. What a boring life we would lead if there wasn't.

Spacecar?

I don't see it as very imaginative at all.

The rocket deployment has more legitimacy than dumping the car.

Hubble was imaginative with incredible return.

Cassini was another.

I expect Webb to be similar.

Deployment of functional technology.

The Shuttle visits to correct the mirror were imaginative and produced great results.

Problem solving.

Plenty of room in the Frontier of the Universe for exercising productive imagination.

Dumping a junk non-functioning car in space to generate a staged photo op and internet buzz falls far short IMHO.....

• Like 1

"in the country of the blind, the one eyed man is king." You appreciate / get it or you don't. I am not a great fan of Mr. Musk, but his considerable achievements outweigh those of his critics.

Agreed. I find some of his ideas downright kooky, but starting a new car company AND a major aeronautics company are accomplishments that are hard to argue with.

Spacecar?

I don't see it as very imaginative at all.

The rocket deployment has more legitimacy than dumping the car.

Hubble was imaginative with incredible return.

Cassini was another.

I expect Webb to be similar.

Deployment of functional technology.

The Shuttle visits to correct the mirror were imaginative and produced great results.

Problem solving.

Plenty of room in the Frontier of the Universe for exercising productive imagination.

Dumping a junk non-functioning car in space to generate a staged photo op and internet buzz falls far short IMHO.....

It falls short of those other accomplishments, - yes, no doubt. So do lots of things, but that doesn't mean they aren't worth doing. It's hard to measure the return of doing something like that but I'm certain that iconic images taken in space have fueled continued interest in going further and doing more.

Edited by Spearhead

PN Guidelines: Post only photos you, yourself, have taken. That’s the reason Mark LINKED to the photos instead of posting them.

I think there are pluses and minuses to this one.

People with all kinds of imaginations can disagree on this topic.

Critics ought to be able to critique achievements without being reminded that their own achievements aren’t as considerable. I’ve critiqued Ansel Adams’s work knowing full well he achieved a level of expertise far beyond my own. That doesn’t invalidate or call into question my critique.

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

Theodore Roosevelt

Sandy, I don’t know what makes you think backing up such a narrow approach to criticism with a quote from Teddy Roosevelt will be convincing. You happen to like Musk’s achievement, so you think the quote works in your favor. I doubt you’d find the quote terribly persuasive if it were thrown at you when you were critiquing something Obama did. If we can’t criticize even accomplished men and women, we’ve lost all sense of discernment. I’d hate to go around condoning or accepting everything everyone does just because they did it and I didn’t.

Read Teddy’s words with care. “ . . . who spend himself in a worthy cause . . .” I’m sure even TR felt some causes unworthy.

Again, I think there are pluses and minuses to what Musk has done. I think there are good and bad aspects to it. I don’t mind hearing some criticism.

As a matter of fact, here’s Teddy Roosevelt again, also on criticism.

To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.

Presumably, he thought those same presidents that should be criticized when a critic felt it was deserved were nevertheless men of accomplishment.