Electronic viewfinders and age-related vision issues

dan_south

<p>I am at an age where I can no longer focus on close objects without the use of reading glasses. I wear contact lenses that set my eyes to focus at infinity; I wear the "readers" over my contacts.</p>

<p>The power of my reading correction has changed over time. Currently, I'm using a +2.0 adjustment in order to read text at a normal reading distance of 14-20 inches. I use the same glasses to read the LCD on the back of my digital cameras.</p>

<p>Will this condition hamper my ability to use a camera with an electronic viewfinder? </p>

<p>I already adjust the viewfinder diopters on my SLRs. Will a similar amount of diopter correction enable me to see an EVF clearly, or do EVFs require a different level of correction?</p>

<p>Do EVFs place different demands (different than OVFs) on the eye's ability to focus, i.e. as though you are looking at a television screen that's less than an inch from your eye?</p>

<p>Thank you very much in advance!</p>

"Do EVFs place different demands (different than OVFs) on the eye's ability to focus, i.e. as though you are looking at a television screen

that's less than an inch from your eye?"

Nah, they're pretty much the same situation as looking at a 35mm SLR's screen through the eyepiece. If diopter adjustments work for one, they should work for the other (assuming that your eyes are within the adjustable range).

<p>Don't worry, but do try out the camera you are pondering, or at least name it here for feedback. Or check or inquire it's diopter adjustment range online and compare it to your current DSLRs'.<br>

I'm right now nearsighted without my -4.25 / -1.5 contact lenses, checked my Fuji X-E1's EVF and noticed the diopter adjustment range being wide enough to allow usage with each of my uncorrected eyes. - The wide diopter adjustment range of that Fuji is impressive, I only encountered similar in FED 2 or a dedicated wide range prism for Pentax LX.<br>

From my understanding camera engineers do the same tricks, no matter what you 'll be staring at (ground glass or tiny screen of an EVF). - This could mean them granting some eye relief placing that finder image virtually about 1m in front of you, which might require minor adjustments via diopter in your case. - I have no clue if all EVFs are adjustable.<br>

I have reading glasses somewhere, but most days I get along without them.</p>

<p>The only EVF-equipped camera I have is a Canon EOS-M3. The VF has a generous range of diopter adjustment, and with the right setting I am able to view comfortably through the distance-vision (upper) part of my stepless multifocal eyeglass lenses (I have astigmatism and wear my eyeglasses all the time).</p>

<p>I've been using an Olympus VF-2 on my OLY M4/3 body for a couple of years now (I wear progressive lens eyeglasses) and have found using the diopter eyepiece adjustment about the same as on my SLR bodies. Due to my prescription & astigmatism, however, I need to have my glasses on to focus anything.</p>

<p>Sony A7 cameras also have a generous range of diopter settings. I can use my distance prescription (+1.5) or reading strength (+2.5) equally well within the range of adjustment, or no glasses at all. The eye relief on the Sony is not as good as that of most SLRs, but sufficient to allow you to see the entire frame while wearing glasses.</p>

<p>I find that the adjustment on my Sony A7 is enough to take care of my needs, as is that on my Olympus E-3. However, not much adjustment is needed as, after cataract surgery, lenses were implanted which leave me needing only very slightly negative correction for far vision. I need glasses to read and a slightly different strength for the computer. A friend has a +2 lens fitted to his digital SLR's finder because the adjustment in the camera is not enough to cope. He does not like to work with glasses on.</p>

<p>Surely the point is that if the adjustment is not enough then an additional lens can be added ... in a similar manner to stacking CU lens ... though I agree that is not really desirable but if it gives you a sharp image to see by it would be justified.</p>

<p>Also some cameras I have read can have the eyepiece changed. I am lucky since my cateract ops I do not need much adjustment, though in 'glasses' days I removed my glasses as it was raining and adjusted the viewfinder to suit my native eye.</p>

<p>PS I have been using EVFs for over a decade now without any problems as I reach my current 85th year :) The EVF covers either side of 'normal' so I would expect you would not need 'reading glasses' as the camera suits the contacts which give you distant viewing. The EVF with its info also makes setting the dioptre very easy if it gets knocked out of your setting :)</p>

<p>This maybe a common sense or knowledge but I recently found that, since I've used AF for the past 20+ years, that I need to calibrate the diopter by using AF lens.</p>

<p>Few months ago, I switched to Sony a7Rii and to use my Nikkors (since no reliable AF adapter is readily available yet - waiting for Commlite to workout its bugs), I have to manual focus, when not using FE lenses.</p>

<p>After several wide angle images resulting in out of focus (though it looked focused when I shot it), I had to re -adjust diopter using AF lens. For long lenses, focus peaking was sufficient to get it right, but on wide angles, the focus peaking aide did not do a sufficient job (I suspect AF focus ring is nowhere as good as MF lens ring, lacking precision movement). After using AF and adjusting the diopter, its all good now with manual lenses.</p>

<p>1. I feel the back LCD is designed only for near-sighted people. Of course, glasses help but they should have a new type of glasses (besides driving glasses, tv watching glasses, and reading glasses) which can be called camera-lcd glasses. Since this type of glasses is not popular yet, most people have to shoot arm-stretched. I have a cousin who may like using the lcd because his eyes can only focus well with distances under 5cm.</p>

<p>2. EVF and SLR viewfinder also required good eyes, so I am expecting we will have a good (and simple to make) manual focusing system which is more manually then pentaprism with ground glass. That is focusing by the scales. The scales can also be digital which can be more accurate, flexible, and cooperating with AF.</p>