Elan 7N review in the lastest Popular Photography, best low light focusing in EOS line

FWIW<p>

Just finished rifling through the latest Pop Photo at my local B&N and

saw a short snippet about the new Elan 7N. The Pop Photo review states

that the Elan7N has better low light focusing than *any* other Canon

EOS body. Under a test, the Elan 7N was able to focus, yet the other

cameras did not. The article did not state which cameras were used for

the test, though it was mentioned that both film and digital cameras

were tested.<p>

Don?t take my word for it. Check out the article yourself!<p>

Michael

Hmm, the prior model had the worst low light AF in the EOS line. However, I find it difficult to believe low light AF is better than the just released EOS 1DMKII or any of the recent 1 series. Was the AF test with or without AF assist?

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

On the Canon EOS site, it says it's has the best autofocus in its' class. Further on it clarifies by saying it has the best autofocus from all the Elan series. This doesn't of course mean from all EOS series! Although I just got one today, and the AF is noticeably better than my previous 7E.

"The ELAN 7N/7NE have the fastest AF ever in an ELAN-series camera."

According to EOS Magazine:

The speed at which the camera focuses has been boosted and is now similar to the focusing speed of the EOS 1V. The predictive focusing capability also matches that of the EOS 1V and EOS 3. A new 'random-type' focusing screen provides a good balance between focusing accuracy and brightness.

Unquote

The specifications only claim an AF working range of EV 1 to 18 at ISO 100 (presumably using the 50mm f/1.4 that I believe is Canon's standard lens for this specification).

Pop Photo never prints anything bad about any piece of photo equipment. If it's garbage, it never makes it to the magazine. Their testing methods seem to produce accurate results. The question I have concerns just how the "best" performance in one category really makes much practical difference in the real world use of the equipment.

The review claims to have tested E-TTL II on a Canon EOS A2E in 1993! Wow -- earliest pre-production testing ever!

Hey flip two pages to page 58 and read about the Canon EF 28-105 f4-5.6 USM lens (notice they did not get the name of the lens right). It is described as an 'incredibly good buy.' Maybe it is pretty good for a kit lens, but this is certainly the kindest description of it that I have seen anywhere.

• 4 years later...

Check the reviews from 'AndrewS', 'weye' and 'Shutterfreak':

http://www.photographyreview.com/mfr/canon/35mm/PRD_299079_3105crx.aspx?index=5&sort=1

They independently confirm what was posted to Pop Photo.

BTW, I think Pop often takes press releases, rewords them a bit and publishes them as announcements. Though this one was under 'Reviews' . . .

I do find their in depth reviews helpful in understanding the functions a camera offers.

FWIW/Scott