el/m conversion

Discussion in 'Medium Format' started by bill_chepel|1, Oct 30, 2016.

1. I have the opportunity of getting a 70s el/m with lenses. I'm blown away by how heavy the camera is with a 150mm lense. How much does the motordrive contribute to the overall mass and is it possible to remove it and use the camera manually?
    Thank you!

2. The motor drive is an integral part of the camera. It is not possible to remove it and operate the camera manually.
    www.david-odess.com

3. Acording to http://www.3106.net/photo/cam-mod.htm ...
    500 C = 1500 grams
    500 EL/M = 2130 grams
    (both with 80mm lens, A12 back, WLF and batteries)

4. I had two CMs and two ELMs back in the day (1980s), I never found weight to be an issue.
    As with the weight of the ELMs I got instant return mirror and electronic cable release options.

I shot mainly wedding and portraits, the weddings I had a Metz 402 flash on a sanders over the len flash mount.
    Shooting portraits were alway shot from a tripod, with an electronic release.

The main time I used the CMs, were during the wedding ceremony shots as it was quieter.
    I still have one CM and one ELM and a super wide.......love them all.

5. Thanks for the great responses. I also need to research what should be checked on a camera that has sat for 30 years. I think it still has film in it! Any advice is greatly appreciated.
    I found a guy in MA that specializes in Hasselblads, but he has an 8-10 week turn around. I don't think I can wait that long to play with my new camera. I think it still has film in it! Any advice is greatly appreciated.

6. Bill, any camera that has been sitting for 30 years will need to be serviced. If you are considering a Hasselblad "V" system (film camera), please visit my website at this link. It will tell you how to check out a Hasselblad to determine if it is working correctly:
    http://www.david-odess.com/faq.html#q14

7. I think the weight and size ARE an issue with EL Hasselblads, but there are enough advantages to make them useful. I have an ELD555, which I use mainly on a tripod. For that matter, I use other Hasselblads on a tripod too, for maximum image quality. The ELD couples electronically with a CFV digital back, without use of a synchronizing cable. There are no restrictions on exposure time (just don't shoot before the "busy" light goes out). The self-timer is useful, and the mirror lockup is easy to use and doesn't need to be reset each time. There's virtually no limit to the length of a remote shutter cable, since it's strictly electric.
    I don't know if other EL cameras can be used with a digital back in this way, but a sync cable is always an option. The ELD uses 5 AA batteries, which last a very long time. Earlier models used expensive rechargeable batteries, but there may be ways to convert.
    While not a problem between the car and an overlook (200 yards or less), I wouldn't want to take an extended hike with it. With a 45 degree prism in place, the camera stands over 6" tall, which requires a substantial bag or backpack.
    Keep the EL/M or sell it. In any case, you can get a 500cm body for about $500, which is both light and relatively quiet.