el/m conversion

bill_chepel1

<p>I had two CMs and two ELMs back in the day (1980s), I never found weight to be an issue. <br />As with the weight of the ELMs I got instant return mirror and electronic cable release options. <br /><br />I shot mainly wedding and portraits, the weddings I had a Metz 402 flash on a sanders over the len flash mount.<br>

Shooting portraits were alway shot from a tripod, with an electronic release.<br>

<br />The main time I used the CMs, were during the wedding ceremony shots as it was quieter.<br />I still have one CM and one ELM and a super wide.......love them all.<br /><br /></p>

<p>Thanks for the great responses. I also need to research what should be checked on a camera that has sat for 30 years. I think it still has film in it! Any advice is greatly appreciated.<br>

I found a guy in MA that specializes in Hasselblads, but he has an 8-10 week turn around. I don't think I can wait that long to play with my new camera. I think it still has film in it! Any advice is greatly appreciated.</p>

<p>I think the weight and size ARE an issue with EL Hasselblads, but there are enough advantages to make them useful. I have an ELD555, which I use mainly on a tripod. For that matter, I use other Hasselblads on a tripod too, for maximum image quality. The ELD couples electronically with a CFV digital back, without use of a synchronizing cable. There are no restrictions on exposure time (just don't shoot before the "busy" light goes out). The self-timer is useful, and the mirror lockup is easy to use and doesn't need to be reset each time. There's virtually no limit to the length of a remote shutter cable, since it's strictly electric.</p>

<p>I don't know if other EL cameras can be used with a digital back in this way, but a sync cable is always an option. The ELD uses 5 AA batteries, which last a very long time. Earlier models used expensive rechargeable batteries, but there may be ways to convert.</p>

<p>While not a problem between the car and an overlook (200 yards or less), I wouldn't want to take an extended hike with it. With a 45 degree prism in place, the camera stands over 6" tall, which requires a substantial bag or backpack.</p>

<p>Keep the EL/M or sell it. In any case, you can get a 500cm body for about $500, which is both light and relatively quiet.</p>