Ektar 100 - TMX 100 - Velvia 50

This to compare the new Ektar 100 against two of the best films available. (Velvia 50 is on its way from the lab)

The crops below represent only 3% of the area of the 35mm frame! They were scanned on a Collscan 9000 without ICE.

Straight from the scanner:

http://shutterclick.smugmug.com/gallery/6616619_YJEwK#421782893_3FL6u-O-LB

Filtered and sharpened:

http://shutterclick.smugmug.com/gallery/6616619_YJEwK#421783213_s6ekF-O-LB

Preliminary observations:

- Resolution: When comparing the films on the microscope the scanner captured all the information available on

Ektar whereas the resolution of TMX extends about 20-30% pass the limitations of the scanner. TMX comfortably

outresolves Ektar.

- Grain: Both are ridiculously fine.

- Other: I noticed light bleeding on Ektar around the blocky areas of the resolution chart. These are on the

negative itself (on both the main Ektar roll and the secondary Ektar control). I do not know whether this is a

characteristic of the film or the result of the Costco processing machine.

I will add the Velvia scans as soon as I receive them.

The bicubic wont add resolution that is not there but is does help with what we have. The text SPICED CLASSICS is much nicer looking with bicubic. Now if this were a portrait it could mean the difference between smooth eyelashes and jaggy ones. Antother good example would be of clouds with nearest neighbour they would show pixelation but with bicubic the image would interpolate very well.

Tom, I can email you the PDF of the chart, you need to print at max dpi - on at least 13x19 on an HP B8350 (must be max dpi - not best). Send me your email address directly and I'll send it to you.

If you don't have a printer large enough, you can can still be ok but you may not be able to use on the finest lpph.