Ektar 100 Color Film Exposed With Medium Yellow Filter

I accidentally shot a roll of Ektar 100 color film through a medium yellow filter thinking it was T-Max 100 B&W film. I'm hoping that the extra yellow can be filtered out when the negatives are processed by a color lab.

Any chance of that working?

Hmm... what a bonehead...

http://bayouline.com/o2.gif

I've never done exactly that, but I expect that the results will be a fair bit less than satisfactory.

The Y series filters(Y2, Y3, etc) are cut-off filters, meaning that they DO NOT pass light shorter than a certain wavelength. Of course, no filter is perfect, but these are old and well established filter types. Even the cheap brand ones I've tested have basically no transmission in the blue region of the spectrum.

That means that you won't have any spectral information recorded in that region and you really can't get it back. So, I'm afraid that you might find that your prints have a yellow cast that you can't satisfactorily correct for. Scanning might be able to adjust it somewhat, but it can't add back what's not there.

Or have the lab add some cheezy light flares and lower the contrast and just say you were playing with a new instagram effect :)

The B&W option gets a high five from me. You cant balance notch filters with print film like you can color temp differences. Then again anything is possible with photoshop and plenty of coffee.

The B&W option gets a high five from me.

That is true. If you click "desaturate" on the color scan it should give more or less the same effect as if you'd shot B&W film with the filter in place. That saves having to go into the channel mixer to add in filter effects.

No more or less likely with a rangefinder than an SLR - all my film Nikons and Leica M 3 have external film type / speed indicators.

I was using a Nikon F3HP with a data back, which doesn't have a film memo holder like the regular backs have. That's why I thought I was using T-Max 100 ISO film.

By the way, I have never used a rangefinder camera EVER to take photos.

Looking around my cameras on display in the room where I'm sitting, I see quite a few SLRs that lack both a "peephole"(35mm) or memo holder. At the moment, I'm looking at a couple of Nikon Fs and a Canonflex RM. At least on the Fs, there's a small manually-set reminder dial on the bottom.

I also use a "12" back on my Hasselblad, and all it has is a manually set dial.

I think my F4 data back omits the "peephole" also.

When I shoot LF, I cut small self-adhesive labels where I write the film type, date loaded, and expiration date for each film holder. Any "new" film holders I have are new old stock, and I have quite a few that have a previous owner's notes. If one were so inclined, one could do similar with any other camera. It's necessary with LF, though, unless you want to open up the film holder and try to "read" the notch code with your fingers.

Edited by ben_hutcherson