Ektachrome Returns(?)

Discussion in 'Film and Processing' started by c_watson|1, Nov 15, 2017.

1. I think the most interesting part of the Kodak podcast is that they are making smaller emulsion kettles for making smaller batches of film. The old kettles made enough emulsion for at least 6 master rolls (52 inches by 6000 feet each). That meant one batch of Ektachrome was way too much film to sell through before it expired.

Kodak's factory was built to make huge amounts of film cheaply. But it's now an albatross without the volume of Eastman Color Print film for movie release prints. (That was 90% of their production volume!) All gone due to digital projection in movie theaters. So it's important for their survival to be able to make smaller runs of film economically.

So I suspect Kodak is using the Ektachrome project as a "pilot" of smaller batch technology. Right now it's the only way to make Ektachrome at a profit. But in a few years, it may be the only way for Kodak to profitably make any color films. After all right now the movie industry is subsidizing them to keep Eastman Color Negative film available for cinematographers who want it. That subsidy won't go on forever.

So it's only a matter of time before they have to switch other color films from the big kettles to the small kettles. So it is important to Kodak's entire film business that they put the capital dollars into the new kettles, and then jigger the film recipes to use the new kettles.

2. John, good point. I recall a few years ago that they wanted to bring back old emulsions (e.g. 5247), and they were working on a way to make film in very small batches. Perhaps this is actually starting.

3. Maybe my much-beloved Plus-X will make a come-back also...

4. Add Panatomic-X, unlikely but would be nice.

5. Panatomic-X, Plus-X, and Verichrome Pan

6. Was supposed to
    any sightings yet?

7. I am waiting too!

8. Vincent Peri

Vincent Peri St. Joseph, LA

I'm waiting eagerly for Ektachrome to appear.

I checked B&H Photo in New York, but nothing is listed on their web page ( bhphoto.com ) :(

9. Ouch. I thought they were doing well.

10. What's really needed, IMO, is an economical B&W and colour printing process that's not based on overpriced ink-wasting jet printers. One that equals the quality of silver-gelatine paper.

Or a halfway honest inkjet manufacturer that doesn't charge Chanel perfume prices for its cheaply made ink. I mean, if Ektachrome can produce excellent colour reproduction together with a neutral greyscale, using only C M Y dyes (no black), then why the **** can't those same, or similar, dyes be supplied in a form suitable for a printer, and at less than $5 per millilitre?

Kodak has a real chance to clean up by addressing that market. I doubt they'll create any sort of economic ripple by trying to promote a revival of bootlace sized cine film.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
    marksmith likes this.
  11. Kodak was selling inkjet printers with the claim that they didn't overprice the ink as much as others.

That the printers were more expensive, but ink was wasn't.

But otherwise, silver bromide paper based digital printers are still common enough for production printing.

I get my Christmas cards from Shutterfly, which prints them on Fuji Crystal Archive.

If you read the data sheet for Crystal Archive, you find that it is designed for either seconds exposure
    or microseconds. That latter is what you get from a scanning laser.

So, you can print your digital pictures on AgBr based paper, or your scanned film with inkjets.

12. I'm well aware of lightjet printing, but it seems quite wasteful to produce a silver-bearing paper, only to remove the silver after doing the job of producing a dye.

I'm sure Kodak's former chemists had the expertise to produce those dyes directly, economically and in quantity. Then surely it's no great quantum leap to squirt said dyes directly onto a suitable paper?

Crystal archive and other lightjet processes don't address the need for home and small scale in-house commercial printing. For which the likes of Epson and HP are ripping off their users to the tune of millions, and for pretty mediocre results. Mediocre print quality that doesn't even have the permanence claimed for it.

Kodak printer division's claims for ink economy were greatly exaggerated!

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
  13. All I can say is it's a shame that Kodak is no longer the wonderfully vertically integrated company they use to be.

Having a full blown chemical company at your disposal I'm sure made all of this kind of stuff easier.

IMG_4992.jpg

The Eastman name is newer than Kodak for bulk chemicals and is still in business, but I'm not actually sure where I'd go to buy their chemicals at least in the US unless it's directly from them. None of the big three in the US(Sigma, Fisher, VWR) carry Eastman chemicals that I can tell, although Sigma does carry some other Eastman products.

14. Imax movies are still shot on film. The Walking Dead is shot on film. And QuentinTarantino still makes his movies on film So they are still making it for that.

15. I have an article and will post the link:: Basically it says that Eastman Kodak is primarily making the tech stuff and the motion picture film. They are making the new super 8 film and they are also the Kodak losing money these days. However Kodak Alaris is probably not losing money and they are selling us the films that we would normally purchase such as Tri-X, Ectar etc.

Ekatchrome is apparently super 8 movie film but it's repackaged and formatted to fit our 35mm camera's. It is going to be sold by Kodak Alaris but the Super 8 film is made by Eastman Kodak. Anyway Eastman Kodak's finacial problems could or probably is affecting the Ektachrome revival.

I do not really know anything so take if as a grain of salt. Just my take on it from the article in the link. Anyway I hope it all works out for everyone. Like I said before I would be happy to go to the movies and watch something shot on the new Super 8 film. I just recently went to see "The Post" and it was shot on Kodak 35mm film. I also watched Dunkirk recently at an IMAX (70mm film) and it was stunning.
    Eastman Kodak to Layoff Over 400; But Film Probably Isn't Affected

16. My photo lab still prints photos, digital and film, using a wet lab machine.