Ektachrome E100 confirmed for 120 & 4x5

Interesting - in all the years that I sold film, I can't remember anyone ever buying Ektachrome or Kodachrome in 110

I've been using a fair bit of E6 110 film as of late in an old Kodak Ektra 110, Baby Diana and a Pentax Auto 110 for low fi work. Quite fun. I highly doubt Kodak will ever do 110 again...but I can dream

Interesting - in all the years that I sold film, I can't remember anyone ever buying Ektachrome or Kodachrome in 110

It probably wasn't common, but I think that Kodak did make a baby carousel projector for 110 slides.

It probably wasn't common, but I think that Kodak did make a baby carousel projector for 110 slides.

You could also also have them mounted in standard 2x2 sized paper mounts.

I have some that my great grandmother shot. Predictably, there's nothing really discernible on them-as opposed to the thousands of 6x9 box camera negatives(mostly B&W, some color) along with lots of color 126(Kodacolor) and even some 35mm Ektachrome-the latter are badly faded, but not beyond what software can generally recover.

I think the lack of exposure control on most 110 cameras(auto or manual) and the minimal amount on others is largely to blame. The only 110 camera I have these days that I'd bother to use is my Pentax Auto 110, and it's also one of the few that can even "read" the high and low speed notches. IIRC, "low speed" is 80 and high speed is 320. The one roll of Lomo ASA 200 I shot(which I think is Chinese Lucky brand film) actually looked decent, and E100 would probably be alright shot at 80.

I think the Minolta SLRs have an EC dial, which of course would allow one to dial in film speeds a bit better within reason. Since I've never owned one, I haven't looked at how it codes "high" and "low" speed film, but of course if it does 80/320 like the Pentax you could get reasonable exposure out of E100 by setting -1/3 stop.

I haven't shot any slides yet, but for a sub-miniature camera I've been enjoying my Pen FT. It's certainly compact, but has real exposure controls, a film handling system that actually keeps the film flat, I don't think I've ever heard anyone complain about the quality of Zuiko lenses. The only "problem" with it is that a 36-ex roll seems like it takes forever to finish.

Do you like the look of it, or do you like the speed? If the latter, TMax 400 pushes to 3200 better than P3200. IIRC.

Truth be told, if I need to shoot in low speed available light, I'd rather use digital.

With that said, I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with P3200. I've shot a decent amount of both "old" and "new" at 3200, and found that I tended to get somewhat less grain than Tri-X at 3200. Neither looks great, though.

- Why not?

They've tried to push a revival of Super 8 cine.

That makes the use of 110 look like the height of sensibility.

As well as I know, the revival of Super-8 is related to its use in teaching

cinematography. There are things to learn that can't be learned with

digital cameras. Of course, as movie making moves more digital, that

need will diminish, but maybe still enough for some years.

About 1986, I had a roll of KR126 to use on a canoe trip, where I didn't

want to bring a more expensive camera, and also it was mostly daylight.

I don't think I ever tried 110 slides, but might have if the occasion arose.

Finding 110 E6 labs now might be hard, though. Nearby lab only

does 35mm and 120.

-- glen

In the later years of 126 and 110, I might have bought some from the half-price outdated bin. I don't remember seeing 110 slide film in there, to buy, though.

-- glen

Do you like the look of it, or do you like the speed? If the latter, TMax 400 pushes to 3200 better than P3200. IIRC.

Yes, but P3200 pushes to 6400, 12800, or 25600 better than TMY.

(There are times for the latter in the data sheet.)

• Like 1

-- glen

As well as I know, the revival of Super-8 is related to its use in teaching

cinematography.

Hmmm. Back in the late 1960s the cine module at my college was taught using decent quality 16mm Paillard-Bolex cameras.

There are things to learn that can't be learned with

digital cameras.

Such as what?

How to flip a reversible film cartridge over mid-roll?

How to pull focus on a format size that makes it impossible to see what's in focus and what isn't?

How to look like a complete idiot in an interview for a job in the cine industry?

'Experience? Oh yes, I've shot a 4 minute short on a film size that any serious amateur would be ashamed to use.'

Yes, but P3200 pushes to 6400, 12800, or 25600 better than TMY.

Seems that they are 6400, 12500, 25000.

http://imaging.kodakalaris.com/sites/prod/files/files/products/F4001.pdf

and unlike most black and white films, times up to 85F/29C.

(Otherwise, the times get pretty long.)

I don't know how high temperature you can go with modern black and white films.

Color films go to 100F/38C, so they should be able to design black and white films

that could do that.

-- glen

As I understand it, the film and paper division is actually profitable, but Kodak Alaris as a whole is not(it seems that they're burdened with pension debt).

Kodak Alaris doesn't actually MAKE anything-they just market and sell the stuff engineered and manufactured by Eastman Kodak in Rochester, NY. One almost wonders if it would be better for all if Eastman Kodak bought it back and sold it themselves-cutting out the middle man on a product they make, and probably either increasing profits or maybe decreasing prices for us(or perhaps a combination of the two).

As I understand it, the film and paper division is actually profitable, but Kodak Alaris as a whole is not(it seems that they're burdened with pension debt).

Kodak Alaris doesn't actually MAKE anything-they just market and sell the stuff engineered and manufactured by Eastman Kodak in Rochester, NY. One almost wonders if it would be better for all if Eastman Kodak bought it back and sold it themselves-cutting out the middle man on a product they make, and probably either increasing profits or maybe decreasing prices for us(or perhaps a combination of the two).

I am happy with the E100 for 35mm and wish they continue to make it. As for larger format I don't think I would use it. If I use a view camera I would use color negative film.

Yes, he boys in Rochester buying it back would be great, but, not being in on all the financial details, I wonder what road blocks would be in the way.

Is that 34M figure correct?

I am happy with the E100 for 35mm and wish they continue to make it. As for larger format I don't think I would use it. If I use a view camera I would use color negative film.

To each their own...I shot a whole lot of medium format(on a per-roll basis more than 35mm, although less on a per-frame basis). Due to processing difficulties(specifically needing to do it myself) I don't shoot a lot of color sheet film, but I get an immense amount of pleasure out of doing it.

After 3 rolls of E100, I'm finding it to be everything I loved about the old E100G-it has tight and smooth grain with nice, bright and faithful colors. It doesn't replace Velvia for me, but it is a nice supplement to it, and I prefer its color rendition-especially behind a light warming filter-to that of Provia 100F.

If sheet film becomes available, I'll certainly buy a box although I have no idea when I'll get around to shooting it. Roll film would go into immediate use for me.

Now, if it ever stops raining here I'm going to go out and shoot the roll of EPP that I have loaded in a Hasselblad back :)

• Like 1