Ekatchrome can't be far off

Discussion in 'Film and Processing' started by chuck909, Jun 9, 2018.

1. Wow. That's lame!

2. Vincent Peri

Vincent Peri Metairie, LA

Where were they caught? Link(s)?

wogears likes this.
  3. Here's a good sign. [LINK]

4. Wow! Their control room still have a lot of CRT monitors in use. I've been to many industrial control room (being in the industrial automation business) over the years the CRT monitors have gone. Even some factory have old DOS based machines the monitors are LCD now.

5. How cool to see what the facility looks like!

I guess no need to change what works!

6. Old pix. Don't you think it a bit odd that Kodak isn't handling these supposedly "current" images? Funny but film coating and handling happened in utter darkness at the old Toronto plant.

7. Actually they changed them because they died. Most LCD monitors you can buy today still support VGA. It's the PC that are harder to replace when they die but possible. The software are not often replaced because they don't wear out and there is no need to change what works just like you said.

Karim Ghantous likes this.
  8. They are recreating the exact conditions.....;)

9. And I thought they would introduce a new improved Ektachrome. So this new Ektachrome would have the same blue cast as the one back in the 70's?

10. I dunno, I was just being cute.
    Let’s hope they make a great film we can all enjoy.

11. Putting the "Ektachrome Blues" aside, E100G was still a darn good film. I always found it crisp, clean, and easy to shoot plus it's VERY fine grained. Even though I did and still do shoot a lot of Velvia, I often grabbed either E100G(X) or Elite Chrome when I needed just a good general purpose slide film. I never was a big Provia guy when these films were still on the market, as I found that I preferred the skin tones and general color pallete(aside, again, from the "blues") from various Ektachrome emulsions. I've switched to Provia for a general purpose slide film, but will likely work it out of my rotation if E100 is any good.

As I've mentioned, back in the day I preferred the "warm" E100GX. Assuming E100 duplicates the color palette of E100G, I will likely routinely use it with an 81B or C(I generally use Velvia and Provia filterless or with an 81A at the most, or a Moose polarizer if I need a polarizer).

After looking at some slides this past weekend, I was thinking too about how nice it would be to have Elite Chrome back. It was a solid all-around slide film with a bit more "punch" than E100G(X)(probably comparable to Provia), but a nice color balance, great skin tones, and was amazingly easy to shoot with probably as much dynamic range as any slide film I've ever used. Its biggest failing in the mid to late 2000s is that it was fairly grainy for a 100 speed slide film. It's certainly not bad but then we were use to newer films like E100G(X) RAP, and RDPIII having insanely fine grain.

12. Nice images on Instagram with the new Ektachrome.

13. I wouldn't trust Instagram for assessing the image quality though.

14. One photographer I follow on Instagram showed an exposure that was 10 stops over. I got a huge shock, as I didn't think that the film could handle that. It wasn't really usable in its raw state, but there was almost nothing blown out. That sort of performance, I thought, was reserved for negative emulsions.

15. Well, I still have my Nikon FM3a and an FM2n so it would be nice to try some Kodak again.

My last roll of Velvia 50 was processed in March this year and I've been debating getting rid of the analogue cameras (my digital camera is still my D40 which I love to bits and I am saving up for my next digital camera likely to be an end of the line D7200 so that I can still use my Ai lenses). However, it will all depend on the price of the Ektachorme for me because I'm looking at prices of £12.99 for a roll of Velvia 100 right now as the cheapest I can get my hands on unless I buy it in bulk and even then the price per roll will not come down that much

At the moment therefore I have been getting into B & W but have found 24 exposure Tri-X (my favourite fast B&W film) very hard to get hold of in the UK now (I like 24 exp because it cost effective for me). So, I have been sticking with Ilford FP4 and rediscovering Delta 400 and some Delta 100 as well as what 24 Tri-X I can get my hands on. The biggest problem here though is that the Royal Mail has increased its postage prices for sending film in the post so it is not just the raw material and development price going up. 35mm photography at a time of austerity is not easy.

This post reminded me of what a great time we used to have experiencing different films. My favourite Fuji 35mm film was Velvia 100F to be honest - it was rather warm even in bright light. I have used Velvia 50 and had superb results and love Velvia 100 too especially when used with warm filtration. Provia? Yuk.

But I miss those Kodak emulsions I really do. I grew to love 100 VS and as soon as the labs got used to it I have some superb pictures made on that. And then there was 100EBX - the cheaper version of VS - I mean I just loved it to bits - say what you like about grain but the Kodak EBX and VS whites were indeed white and they held shadow detail a smidgen better than the Velvia 50 & 100.

But if there was one Kodak film that I thought was a good all rounder and very much underrated it was Kodak 100EPP. Now that was a superb film in my view. Ektachrome 100 to me was a little too muted. But if they were bringing back EPP or an Ektachrome based on EPP I would buy it without hesitation!

Oh well...…………...good memories!

jason_withers likes this.
  16. Silent Street

Silent Street Silent Street Photography AUS

Ektachrome will not give 10 stops of exposure. Keep in mind what is taken through post that appears on Instagram...