Ekatchrome can't be far off

Discussion in 'Film and Processing' started by chuck909, Jun 9, 2018.

1. I have many rolls of expired cold stored slide film. I like natural occurances and the lab does not color correct my film by request. I will have them crop and take out scratches and dust when I have enlargements made for art shows.

2. 1960s Ektachrome (E-4) was horrible in the long-term preservation aspects. The last years of E-6 films (Kodak and Fuji) had superior longevity to Kodachrome. I have many Ektachromes and Provias from the 1990s that are unchanged.

Twelve Pins, Clifden, Ireland 1998 (Very recent scan)

FB_062418-1.jpg

eddy_d and Dave Luttmann like this.
  3. Silent Street

Silent Street Silent Street Photography AUS

Kodak might want to answer the big UNanswered question: why they didn't just bring back E100/E100VS Ektachromes rather than squander money on the costly development of another.

Ektachrome slides that I have from the 1960s and 70s have not stood the test of time in dark storage (fading and casting) as well as many hundreds of adjunct Kodachrome 64 and 200 slides, which remain minty.

4. Although it hasn't been explicitly stated, my understanding is that the "end goal" is a film that mimics E100G. The box mock-ups I've seen(although I don't know whether they're from Kodak or speculation) label the new film as E100, which is probably a reasonable name since I doubt they'll need to differentiate between two different color balances(G and GX).

I'm REALLY going out on a limb with this, but if E100VS returns it will probably happen after if the pilot with E100(G) is successful. Personally, I never particularly cared for E100VS and much prefer Velvia, so I'd rather see them branch out from the initial 35mm release into 120 E100 and then-if I'm dreaming-maybe 4x5 and even 220. Given that Ektar 100 initially was 35mm only before going to 120 and sheet film, I think that's likely to happen if it's initially successful-or at least more likely to happen than introducing a totally different emulsion that(from Kodak's perspective) might eat into sales of E100.

Aside from that, Kodak's overall trend has been toward consolidating their film lines. 10 years ago, there were 6 different Portra emulsions(160NC, 160VC, 400NC, 400VC, 400UC, 800) and they cut that down to three.

In any case, the story is that even though E100(G) is a known emulsion, they've basically had to re-create it from scratch. Among other things, I understand that they've scaled down production to make coating in smaller batches viable-something that will probably raise the price relative to old Ektachrome prices, but will make the film a lot more viable. In addition, I believe it was stated that some of the raw materials were no longer available and the film has been redesigned around it. So, even though the goal is something LIKE the old stuff, I think it will most likely be a new emulsion and probably have its own quirks. Fuji managed a reformulation of Velvia 50 without appreciably changing the character, so maybe Kodak can manage the same.

5. Silent Street

We'll have to sit out and wait until the little yellow and blue box hits the stands. I rarely shoot 35mm transparency now (99% MF, LF), so will be mulling over the investment in a single box for comparison purposes.

I ran through both E100 and 100VS in 2004 as part of formal tests for publication at the time (Australian Photography), and wasn't particularly inspired by the palette, or the difficulty in printing to Ilfochrome Classic, compared to Velvia and Provia, which again are different to Kodachrome et al. It must have been the only two rolls of that type of Ektachrome ever run through the camera at the time — the rest, as always, has been committed to Velvia and Provia!

6. I agree, its a bit tedious and should be sorted

7. I think there's an old saying about rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.

8. I just found out about labs in NY that process slides so i Just may go there. I hear the wait time is 3 hours on the one lab. The reason I heard of kodaks problems was because they hired someione who worked at HP and he wanted to focus on printers instead of film. True or not. I don't know.

9. I hope Kodak doesn't keep us waiting too much longer! Was exciting news when I first heard about this early last year. But it should be worth the wait. I always felt Kodak had superior film offerings to Fuji, especially with reversal films.

10. I believe Kodak was inferior to Fuji E-6 in terms of resolution. Don't know about the quality though. If they make anything right now, it should be at least on par with the Japanese.

As for the delay, it is frustrating. Since I thought that Summer/Autumn is the most convenient time for shooting slides personally for me. And if it's not out until the end of August, then it might as well be delayed until Spring of 2019.

11. E100G held a slight edge over Provia in terms of resolving power and a big edge terms of grain. The grain thing was a good reason to shoot the film, although I know I preferred the color rendition of Provia(and more so Velvia) and so used them in preference.

Still, though I stand by E100G being the "most digital like film ever made."

12. Silent Street

Why should film have to look like digital??
    If you want digital, use digital. Film has its own specific look that cannot and should not be compared to digital.

13. Did you ever shoot it beyond your one test?

The thing I liked about this film was how "clean" it was-that's the source of my "digital" comment. It still looks like film and has an Ektachrome-like color palette(for better or worse-that's why I preferred E100GX) but it was a film like nothing else I've ever used.

14. I understand the point but the comparison is an obvious and useful one.
    Years ago the same was made in reverse.

jason_withers likes this.
  15. The colors of Velvia seemed a bit exaggerated/punchy to me. Elite chrome and the previous Elite II films for instance appeared more true to life to my eyes.

16. Well, maybe for the 'faster' Kodachromes, but even the last years in my experience were less long-lived than the slower speed Kodachromes. The end of Ektachrome did get the color issue better.

I'm still not holding my breath, but will be happy when and if it comes.

17. Earlier B&W films were Orthochromatic (not sensitive to certain wavelengths of light,) Panchromatic B&W film on the other hand is sensitive to most wavelengths of light...I suspect the blue flash bulbs provided the type of light that worked better with Panchromatic B&W film.

18. Unless you live in the desert areas like in Arizona; then fall through spring is ideal!

19. There are people beta testing Ektachrome as we speak.

20. Silent Street

...And a few caught out backpedalling when they assumed Ektachrome was a C-41 film (!)
    So much for the "expert" Beta testers...