Ekatchrome can't be far off

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the posted photos are truly representative of the film, I don't have high hopes.

They have a bit of a Kodachrome look to them, and not the nice clean rendition I associate with E100G(X). The one portrait shown doesn't really even have good skin tones to my eye. Even though E100G(X) weren't as good in this department as films like EPP, Astia,or Kodachrome they still rendered Caucasian skin tones better than Velvia or even Provia.

I'll be buying some too.

With that said, E100G(X) is probably the easiest to scan slide film I've used, so looking bad due to scanning isn't much of an excuse. There are folks out there with lots of experience scanning slide film, and I'd guess Kodak has access to the best.

I wonder why they look so bad. Maybe due to Instagram compression? Notice that the Kodak logo at the beginning is also messed up.

That could be it-even the photo of the flattened box looks bad.

I've never used Instagram, but have seen enough with the instagram "touch" that I wonder if we're seeing some instagram "filters" accidentally applied.

I have to say, I think these photos look just awful. Why would anyone choose this over Fujifilm Provia?

I also often have to sign back in to post on Photo.net. I guess the login cookie has a much shorter timeout now or something.

I have to say, I think these photos look just awful. Why would anyone choose this over Fujifilm Provia?

The old E100G had a very different look from Provia. As much as I like Fuji products, I was more likely to grab it over Provia when I wanted just a good, general use slide film(although nothing will replace Velvia for me).

The sample photos look nothing like E100G, though.

It says "film has a finite shelf life—even if you store it in the fridge.".

About how long do you think for lower speed Ektachrome?

I suspect long enough for me.

"finite shelf life" is used along with production and sales discussion, so it seems to me they are referring to unexposed film and its expiration. But who knows.

Two years ago, I had my parents' Kodachrome from a 1956(?) trip to Europe, and Ektachrome from a 1972 trip to Kenya scanned.

Europe was still punchy. Africa was long since faded and washed out.

Will Kodak make the new Ektachrome last?

Not all E-4 or E-6 processing was created equal--some processors cut corners and the slides look fine when you get them back but they don't last as well as they should. Kodachrome is the long term dark storage champ, but E-6 Ektachrome is also fairly stable when stored well and processed properly in the first place.

The last gen Ektachrome-which is Kodak's target if the name is any indication-had storage lifetimes comparable with Fujichromes and as good as dark-stored Kodachrome.

Some of mine are 15 years old and still look great-along with my Velvia and Provia.

I do not worry about the storage properties of modern E6 emulsions, at least provided that they are processed properly.