Efke 100 - increasing grain

I've just shot and developed 2 test rolls of 120 Efke 100 exposed at

100 ASA and developed in Rodinal 1:50 for 10 minutes at 22C. I was

surprised that the grain was not more prominent. Has anyone here a

recommendation on increasing the grain, using Rodinal or HC110?

Thanks in advance,

Richard

It has been my experience that a stronger dilution (1:25) of Rodinal tends to cause grain clumping, which is larger but less sharp. Weaker dilution (1:100) causes a much smaller "salt & pepper" grain pattern.

If you require HUGE grain as some kind of special effect, you can achieve it by developing your film in dilute paper developer.

Try a *very* dilute solution of Rodinal, somewhere between 1:200 and 1:500 with stand development - no agitation after the initial inversions to distribute the chemistry.

Of course you're on your own with this technique. I've done it only with Tri-X so my times and dilutions won't be of direct use to you. FWIW, my most recent experiment involved Tri-X at EI 200 in Rodinal 1:350 with a 10ml Ilfosol-S chaser. Two hours of stand development. Extreme acutance with heavy salt and pepper grain - very nice effect for the right kind of image.

BTW, you don't really need the Ilfosol-S - I just happened to have some around and knew from previous experience using it alone with faster films that it produces grainy negs. Rodinal alone will probably do the trick.

I'm not trying to be flip, but, shooting film like Efke 100 in medium format and complaining there is not enough grain is like buying a Porsche and complaining that it goes too fast....

Maybe you could clarify more. Is it the texture that's a problem? Do you need more edge detail? Are you looking for a special effect?

Rodinal, is NOT as some believe, a "grainy developer". At 1:50 it's one of the best compensating developers around and will give you execellent negs from almost any film. I'd suggest AGFAPAN 400 in 120, and Rodinal at a dilution of 1:25 if visible grain is what you're after. Efke R100 simply is one of the finest grained 100 speed flims around, and will not give you pronounced grain without reticulating it severely. If you want to give that a go, after development, dump in some 95-100 degree water as a stop bath, and then after a minute or too, dump in some water chilled down to about 55 degrees (farenheit).