EF lenses on FD mount

keith_lubow

Hello,

Is there an adapter for using EF lenses on an FD mount body like an F-1 or FTb?

If so, it would be great. I don't need any of the electronic functions of the

lenses, although being able to use the D of F preview would be nice. It would

nice to be able to use brand new lenses on my film cameras.

Keith

Yeah...I thought someone may have been real slick and designed a mini computer into the adapter that read the movement of the pin and converted it into the right electronic signal for the lens...Wish I were an engineer...

I should just get a modern day Canon film camera, although I love the simplicity and ease of use of the oldies. The top of the line Canon 1V seems like a steal for $1,700.

They should really make something pro level yet simple like the F-1 again, but EOS compatible. Even my A-1s have too many gizmos for me. I only have them for using the long shutter speeds and the short shutter speeds over my FTb, which only has 1 to 1/1000.

Keith

Don't worry about the gizmos you don't need. I primarily use Nikon lenses on a Canon DSLR. Manual aperture, manual focus, manual mode, I set the shutter speed. I pay attention to the EV scale and use it as a frame of reference for exposure. Basically a match needle metering system. I use my auto thyristor flash in manual mode and I set the zoom head manually. I use a good tripod and I set each direction of the head manually, one by one. I press the shutter button with my finger.

Yes, I wish for fewer gizmos so that there is much less to go wrong with the bits of the camera that I don't use, which will stop the camera from working, but that is not going to happen. However I do my best to avoid buying lenses with gizmos for this same reason. Hence the Nikon lenses with manual aperture control.

Why would you want to use brand new lenses on your film cameras? I would imagine that FD lenses are as good as or better in some instances than EF lenses. If you want the ability to switch from old to new and vice versa you could consider the Nikon system.

There are only a handful of current EF lenses that do not have an effective FD counterpart (EF 200/2.8 L, EF 35/1.4 L, 70-200/2.8 L, EF TS lenses, 16-35/2.8 L are a few that come to mind) and they are all quite expensive. I did not mention the 24-70/2.8 L since I personally have no use for one. These are, almost all, so expensive that you could justify buying an old used EOS film body to mount them on.

Canon EOS (EF mount) film cameras are plenty cheap these days. I'm hanging onto my Elan 7s even though they're rarely used because they're worth so little on the used market. Lesser models go for much less. You should be able to pick up an EF film camera online for $50-$100.

If you want an all-manual system, pick up an Olympus OM-1 or Nikon FM series. Plenty of excellent and cheap manual focus lenses available for those cameras. I recently picked up a couple of FM2n's and a set of lenses for peanuts compared with my Canon digital gear.

John:

I'm about to invest in a digital EOS system and I just thought it would be nice to be able to use the same lenses, and use them in brand new condition. I have several FD lenses, and I have never had any quality problems with them, but I think the new line of EFs has the advantage of the latest technology, and they are very reasonably priced, even with luxury optics and image stabilization. Also, there's the 24/1.4 the 24PC, the excellent 2.8L zooms, etc. I love old cameras, but I have to admit that today's lenses are probably as good as lenses have ever been.

I think I will see if the shop will cut me a deal if I get a 1V at the same time I get everything else...

Keith

As John says, you can use Nikon lenses on Canon digital. I myself use Olympus OM lenses on Canon digital. There are other brands of manual focus lenses that can be used as well. Canon has effectively 'obsoleted' the FD cameras and lenses entirely; you'd be better off selling up and either going 100% EOS for both film and digital or buying an old system for film which has lenses which can be used on the EOS digital as well (such as Nikon or Olympus as Lee suggests).

Ah, too bad Canon doesn't make something like Nikon's FM3 that could use EOS lenses focused manually. Bless Nikon for still making a camera like that...too bad their lenses are unusable because the aperture ring is backwards....hahah. Seriously, I can't use them because of that.

Keith

I have no regrets getting EOS-3 and BP-E2 8AA battery pack with vertical shutter release. In like new condition the two items ran me $501 with tax. As New & still current, the two still sell for $1,275 plus tax. Then I ebay'd up a 14mm 2.8 tamron for $455 to complete the experiment. I got them to see what this eos system is about and planned to resell the film body and drive as I eventually step into a 5D, but I'm keeping the EOS3 and putting off the 5D for another year or two, maybe three. You might consider a film camera deal like I got as the $1,200 savings will buy you a nice lens or two for your screaming eos film machine.

Having the EOS3 inhand has not made me want to sell all my FD equiptment. With all but two of the canon's white paint FD lenses usually trading below $800 I am still looking to buy FD prime glass to use on my five F-1 bodies.

Lindy

Keith,

Canon did. There is the Canon EF-M camera. It is manual focus but with an EF mount. It was based on the EOS 1000.

There will be no optics free adaptors to mount EF lenses on the FD mount since the EF mount is much wider and AFAIK the difference in the registers is not large enough to make a glassless adaptor possible without losing infinity focus.

As others have noticed you would be much better buying an EOS body. They are dirt cheap at the moment.

Keith:

I thought you were joking when you said a 1V at $1700 was a steal. It is highway robbery! Check out ALL the Canon EOS film possibilities. As good as the 1V may be it is extinct, I think you could find a comparable body at way less than half the price. Heck if you want to spend that much keep what you have for film and buy a DSLR instead and start getting ready for the future now.

I also can't believe that you can't focus and set apertures in reverse as in the Nikon system. Go into this with an open mind and you will do much better.

John:

I think $1,700 for a brand new high-quality 35mm camera like that is way cheap. In fact, I think Nikon and Canon cameras in general are very cheap for what you get these days; film and digital. While I enjoy my older film cameras, the thought of a brand new high-tech machine that operates similarly to and is is fully compatible with a new digital is very appealing.

As far as not being able to use Nikon manuals...It's not because I'm closed-minded. It's because I'm used to what I'm used to, so the Nikon feels extremely foreign to me. It's like driving in England. Believe me; I've tried it...just don't think I could ever quite hack it to the same level I drive over here. I already have the Canon, I like it, I'm comfortable with it...it would just be extremely convenient to be able to carry only one set of lenses for film and digital.

I am actually geting a DSLR, this week to be exact. I am not doing it do join the modern age or because I think it is all-around better. it's simply necessary for what I want to do. It's a Mark II N. It won't change my outlook on film cameras, but it will open up professional options for me. I simply would like to be able to use brand new high-tech glass on a film camera with which I am comfortable, and I don't think $1,700 is too much for that, especially with a 35% discount.

Keith

You obviously have given thought to what you are doing, know what you want, and know what will work for you.

With the money you are investing I think it is time to let go of the FD system and move into EF without looking back. Keep the FD system for sentimental reasons, if you can afford to, or if you would like to get value for it, sell it and re-invest in items for your EF system or your computer system. Have fun!