I'd like a decent prime for my 300D that won't break the bank. The

prime is for general photography, and portrature. Given the 1.6x

cropping factor, the EF 85 becomes 136 and the 50 becomes 80. I'm

what would be termed a serious amature (ie not a pro) and I can't

afford an "L". I've heard about the legendary sharpness of the 85,

but my wallet would like the 50.

How about other that Canon?

My other lenses are the EF-S 18-55mm and a Samyang 500mm f8 Mirror

(I know I know,..., but I like the donuts)

Suggestions?

John S

From what I've heard of the 50mm it's pretty sharp, they both are an f/1.8 so you're getting a fast lens, the solution: close your eyes and pick one.

Well actually, let many people post on this topic and get everyone's consensus on it, my IMO I think you should get the 50mm f/1.8 II because you'll have more money left over to buy filters or cleaners or an extended warranty or something... or groceries :P

I had the 50/1.8 for 12 years. Excellent lens. Sold it cause I prefer 35mm and 85mm focal lengths over it (I shoot film). Surprising as I was, the 35/2 and 85/1.8 are even better. The USM of the 85/1.8 (my most used lens) is a great bonus.

I think you should first decide by focal length's consideration. 135mm (85/1.8 on the 10D) will be too long many times. However, the 50/1.8 is so cheap that if you can afford the 85/1.8, you can afford the 50/1.8 as well. So, the solution is simple. Buy both.

Happy shooting ,

Yakim.

The 50mm f/1.8 is one of the best bargains there is in EOS glass.<br>

All the portraits at this link were shot with it (on a 10D... so the same 1.6x crop factor you'll get with the 300D):

<a href="http://www.grantheffernan.com/journal/2003/10.html#25">http://www.grantheffernan.com/journal/2003/10.html#25</a><br>

<br>

Check here too... <br>

<a href="http://www.grantheffernan.com/journal/2003/10.html#26">http://www.grantheffernan.com/journal/2003/10.html#26</a><br><br>

I personally find a fixed 135mm a little long for my taste, so I'd go with the 50mm on the 300D.

I have both the 50mm 1.8 and the 85mm 1.8. They are both excellent. I use a 10d. I am a little dissapointed that the 50mm 1.8 has no depth of field scale, but on the other hand, the lens is ridiculously lightweight. I use both lenses a lot for portraits and for low-light stuff (theatre productions, etc.) I am on a somewhat limited budget too and I chose the 24mm 2.8 along with those other two lenses. I have NEVER regretted going for the 24-85 zoom instead. My three lenses kick butt!<br><br>Good luck with your 300D!!

I have only fixed Canon lenses (28/1.8, 35/2, 50/1.4, 85/1.8 and 135/2) the quality goes the other way (the best being the 135 and the worst the 28) - Canon is not known for top quality wide angle lenses.

If you have the money to buy an 85/1.8 go for the 50/1.4!!! Since i think the 135mm equivalent is a little too long for your needs (i actually bought my 135 mostly for portraits but i ended using it only for concert photography - the 85 did the portrait stuff (and yeah it is a hell of a lens).

I think the 85 is the most versatile portrait lens out there (the 50 if you consider the 1,6x crop) - oh the 50/1.8 is sharp but when it comes to color rendition is way back of the 50/1.4.

Enjoy!

I currently have the 85 f/1.8 and 50 f/1.4. I recently sold the 50 f/1.8II. With the 10D (same sensor as the 300D), the 85 feels a bit too long sometimes. However, I absolutely love the quality of the shots I get with it. I agree with a prior post that color rendition is the biggest difference between the 50 f/1.8II and f/1.4.

So, for general purposes I think you are better off with the 50mm (or 35mm f/2). But if you have portraits in mind, the 85mm is really special (as long as you have enough room between you and the subject).

Great advice, thanks everyone.

I think I'll start with the 50 f1.8. (80 on the 300D). I'm now leaning towards purchasing both the 50 and the 85 (when $$$ permits)(thanks to Yakim). Interesting comment on the colour rendition of the 50 f1.4,.., Are we talking about intensity? Certain ranges? Is this adjsutable in the "digital darkroom" (or film choice)?

I've also done some rudimentary (highly subjective and unscientific) testing on the EF-S 18-55 mm using the USAF 1955 chart. I'm trying to acertain the most optimal settings for that lens. I'll post my findings (such as they are). So far the lens has been (surprisingly)pretty good, but the ability to shoot wide open at 1.8 should produce a better bokeh. Alas the EF-S goes only to f5.6 @ 50mm (I have to use photoshop for the rest.)