EF 35-135 f/4-5.6 lense

rob_berman

I have an old Canon EF 35-135 f/4-5.6 lense that I would like to use

with a Digital Rebel. Is this lense suitable for the camera. I know

that it will fit, but don't want to match a good body with a bad

lense. I am a point and shoot kind of guy looking for nice pictures.

Please advise.

Hey, that's my review!

Yes, the EF 35-135 USM is a fine optic with ring-type USM and FTM. It was released in 1990 as the kit lens for the EOS 10S and was among the first 3 consumer ring-type USM lenses Canon made. Although the max aperture is a bit small, it makes up for it with its tiny size, light weight and nimble AF. Optically, it's in the same ball park as the EF 28-105 3.5-4.5 USM (the kit lens for the 1992 EOS 5/A2). It behaves like a 50-200 zoom on a Dreb, so it makes for a nice walkaround if you're not into wide angle.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

I owned the 35-135mm lens at one time and found it to be a very fine performer on film camera bodies. I do not have any experience with it on digital bodies. The only reason I sold the lens was to move to the 28-135mm IS lens.

If you already have it, I would try it out before investing any money in something new.

I have the 35-135 f/4-5.6 USM. Plus points are:<p>

<p>

1) Full-time manual<br>

2) Fast, USM focusing<br>

3) Reasonable image quality, especially at the shorter end and when stopped down.<br>

<p>

Minuses for me are:<p>

<p>

1) My lens seems to get rather soft when wide open at the 135mm end.<br>

2) Although focus is very rapid, it seems to struggle to get a focus lock a bit more than my 28-70 f/3.5-4.5. Maybe the cause is the smaller maximum apertures are letting in less light for the autofocus sensors to play with?<br>

3) Manual focus ring, although having a reasonable feel, has a very short range of travel. My aforementioned 28-70, although feeling like it's got bearings made of sand, allows much easier fine control of manual focusing.<p>

• 2 years later...
Found this posst in browsing and I have one of these lenses which I have used since 1990 when I bought a Canon eos 10. It is still in use with the 400d. It gives sharp images with good contrast - can anybody ask for more. It is many many times supierior to the kit lens in every way.