EF 28-135 IS compatibility with 1.4 or 2X TC

bv photography

According to Canon, tele extender EF 1.4X and 2X can be used with fixed focal length lenses 135mm and longer (except the 135mm f/2.8 Softfocus lens), and the EF 70-200 f/2.8L, 70-200 f/2.8L IS, 70-200 f/4.0L, and 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS zoom lenses.

I think you should look for 3rd party TC from Tamron or Kenko. But I don't know how good they are since I don't have any 3rd party TC's.

I use a Kenko 1.5x on my 28-135IS...it's really a last-ditch thing if I'm carrying just the one lens and need a little more reach. Optically not that bad really. On my D60 and 1D I can't tell any difference, only on film.

Actually, it is possible to mount at least the Canon 1.4X TC mk1. As long as you keep the zoom between 135mm and around 50-70mm. Less than that, you WILL break the front glass on the TC and/or the rear glass of the lens.

I read about someone who traveled only with 28-135 IS and the 1.4X TC. He was reporting very good results with this as well, but he knew the �written in stone� limitation of this combo.

Still, even if they physically connect, I don�t use this setup. But I tried it once.

Good luck

I'm with Jay on this one. I also have the Kenko 1.5x TC and it works surprisingly well on a D-Rebel. No, it's not as good as an L lens or a good prime, but it's not bad optically. What's really a surprise is how well the autofocus works with the combo on the D-Reble. But that's not the case when mounted on some other bodies I own.