Editorial Review for POW #48 (Beta ver. 1.0)

saintelmo21

<p>The photos critiqued shall be chosen from the first W/NW Street: Photo of the Week thread of each month, and will post three days after the POW (i.e. this week’s POW #48 is first one of December 2010). Here are the guidelines:<br>

<strong>1</strong>) A Reviewer must have a photo posted on POW #48.<br>

<strong>2</strong>) A Reviewer must choose 2 photos from 2 different photographers (not his/her own).<br>

<strong>3</strong>) Provide a URL link to the photo at the beginning of the review. Do not post the photograph itself.<br>

<strong>4</strong>) Subsequent reviewers may not choose a photo submitted by the reviewer of her/his own photo (no petty revenge critiques).<br>

<strong>5</strong>) Review should follow this format:</p>

<ul>

<li>Overall impression of the photograph </li>

<li>Strong points of the photograph </li>

<li>Weak points of the photograph </li>

<li>Recommendations for improvement</li>

<li>Eliminate qualifiers such as, “I think”, “In my opinion”, etc. Your review is understood to be entirely subjective. </li>

</ul>

<p><strong>6</strong>) Each photo review should be no more than 10 lines of text. Don’t warble on for paragraphs.<br>

<strong>7</strong>) “Your pic sucks, why did you post that garbage here.” Is NOT a useful critique…follow the guidelines for constructive criticism or do not participate.</p>

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>To start this thing off, I will review Marc Todd’s and Mike Dixon’s photos posted on <strong>POW #48.</strong><br>

<strong><br /></strong><br>

Marc’s <a href="http://static.photo.net/attachments/bboard/00X/00Xoj8-309327884.jpg">http://static.photo.net/attachments/bboard/00X/00Xoj8-309327884.jpg</a></p>

<p>Marc, I find this a very <em>intriguing</em> photo. It generates a lot of questions for me. Why is she so unkempt? Is she homeless? What is that cord wrapped around her neck? You are close enough for details, yet far enough to maintain ambiguity. The real strength of the photo is that the woman is in a completely unguarded moment. The austere, cinder block structure (Is that a bus stop in San Quentin?) with its bizarre concrete ‘seats’ and the two bags nearby are a perfect frame to the scene. Lack of good post processing detracts from the image; it needs more contrast, or the highlights should be toned down. I like the negative sprocket framing, but incorrect sizing is a total bummer. So, all of my recommendations for improvement are technical/processing which are easily corrected.</p>

<p>Mike Dixon’s <a href="http://mikedixonphotography.net/korconnor01.jpg">http://mikedixonphotography.net/korconnor01.jpg</a></p>

<p>Mike, absolutely gorgeous photo...I’ve been here many times: feeling buzzed, liquor bottles shining like diamonds in seductive light reflected off the mirror behind the bar. With other customers feeling good as well, you have an enjoyable atmosphere that keeps you coming back to the ‘night life’. Well done with a clearly defined and interesting subject, great choice on the shallow depth of field (although maybe you had no option). It looks like a well planned and executed shot. Your subject is intent and unaware just like Marc’s. And, I wonder what he is squinting at…most likely the drink list. If there is any weakness in this photo, I don’t see it. It would have been nice not to have the other guy’s elbow sticking into the frame, but we all know things like that are often unavoidable in street work.</p>

<p><strong>John</strong> , with all respect, calm down!<br>

<strong>E'</strong>s initiative can only be beneficial to the quality of this forum and the rules of the exercise seems at least to me to make good sense. If someone can suggest to improve them I'm sure E. is all ears.<br>

If you don't want to participate, John, you are surely free to step aside. <br>

I have only one question on the rules E. has outlined; I don't know what "warbling" means in the context of paragraphs, but I'll try to find out...</p>

<p>Javier's photo of three girls <br>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/jgredline/5080381258/">http://www.flickr.com/photos/jgredline/5080381258/</a></p>

<p>A photo that attracts attention immediately. A happy photo of three girls of the giggling age eating ice-cream - hairstyles and skirts alike. Close childhood friends - friends for life.</p>

<p>The strongest point of the scene is it's story telling and the angle chosen. By shooting the scene close up to the girls and from waist level, the three come firmly into focus of our attention. This is the story of three young girls - and a photo of a "street". Their present, past and future. Presently, enjoying a life of no responsibilities and even having a car at their disposal (the keys), the couple behind illustrates their future family life with kids and the Crate&Barel, to the right indicates the buying of furniture and equipment for their future accommodation independent of close family control. All very traditional and somewhat predictable prospects, but all in one one picture. <br>

The almost blown out white which is present throughout the scene becomes a sign of lightness and joy.<br>

Weak points are few. The guy approaching to the right that seem to be an intruder in the "story" - but yet everything is already almost too controlled.</p>

<p>Recommendations for improvements or change?? One could question why this is in black and white. Because "serious" street photography in this forum mostly are? Why then not some less straight photography adding blur and noise as mostly done? I would not suggest it, but few examples of "straight photography, like this, is presented in the Street forum, which I find a shame.</p>

<p>I'll have a go with Leslie Cheung and Javier Gutierrez photos posted on <strong>POW #48</strong><br>

<strong><br /></strong><br>

I've chosen one colour and one b&w. I'll nail my colours to the mast up front and say that the technical side of image presentation is of less concern to me than composition and emotional content.</p>

<p>Leslie's image http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4132/5080381258_6dc6e33dbe_z.jpg is very arresting. The diagonal formed by the sign and two flags is very strong. The underlying (political) comment that could be read into this with the 'No Entry' sign juxtaposed with the flags is very topical. The inclusion of the uniformed figure in the V of flags gives a slightly offbeat touch because he's not apparently interested in whatever is capturing the gaze of the two men, rather is absorbed in his iPhone. The 'folded over' edge of the larger flag revealing the no entry sign is a key component of this image's compositional success for me, creating a real tension, as it allows the inclusion of the pole and trunk behind, which underpin the symmetery of the various (slightly angled) verticals that populate the shot. In terms of meeting the (informal) brief set for this thread 'In Sync' I think this image succeeds very well. To be honest this image works so well for me on so many levels, visually, compositionally, politically, that I can't really find anything to criticize.</p>

<p>Javier's image http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4132/5080381258_6dc6e33dbe_z.jpg is very different, and captures a lovely moment of American teenage life, in a casual and surprisingly intimate way. I say 'surprisingly' because there's a very engaging quality to this image that really draws me in, almost as if I were a part of the scene (as opposed to simply looking at an image of the scene), a result I think of the low angle. I feel as if I could be sat on a low wall and watching this little moment pass me by. The slightly high key treatment works well giving a sense of heat and white buildings reflecting light all around. The central composition of the girls works well, with the smaller figures either side giving both a framing device and a sense of depth to the shot. My only criticism is the loss of the top of the building behind - the corner of the roof coming to a natural 'point' above the girls heads would throw a lot more 'weight' into that central vertical line, and the ribbed end of the corrugated roof tiles would be a strong dark frame. Summed up in one word? Timeless.</p>

<p>Javier's three girls photo:</p>

<p><strong>Over all impression:</strong> Very good</p>

<p><strong>Strong point: </strong> content (gesture/expression), very proximal, composition is good too though I don't like square for this shot.</p>

<p><strong>Weak point</strong>: light, it's too harsh, a little too bright even though it could fit the content well, it's just too harsh.</p>

<p><strong>Improvement: </strong> get out at the right time/weather when the light isn't too bright. Harsh/bad light is just too damning even if everything else is perfect. </p>

<p>Anatoly's 2 men on a bench:</p>

<p><strong>Overall impression of the photograph:</strong> Mundane shot of everyday life. Picture of two strangers sitting probably bored, done decently though nothing too exciting.<br>

<br /> <strong>Strong points of the photograph: </strong> Composition is nothing fancy but nice as well as contrast and the hand/leg gesture is shown well. The middle guy's lip and facial expression are rather interesting and I would like to see a little more.<br>

<br /> <strong>Weak points of the photograph: </strong> Though pretty well done, in the end, there is nothing really going. The picture as a whole don't say or do much for me except showing two guys sitting on a bench bored.<br>

<br /> <strong>Recommendations for improvement:</strong> I would seek out situations/places where there are more going on. In your situation, I would talk to them and maybe ask to do portraits of them for more emotional/graphic/human connection. A close up face portrait of middle dude would be cool.</p>

<p>Lesley, you are fully right that the weakest point concerning the white of Javiers three girls is indeed the sweater of the girl to the left. But still it is not fully blown out. It all sums up to whether one accepts the strong white as a technical problem or a statement. I opt for the latter.</p>

<p>Stupid question. Is every shot uploaded for POW #48 fair game to critique or only the ones that mentioned it? I didn't say that mine is available for critique because I thought by posting in the thread is was understood that it could be discussed. In any case, mine is open for critique.</p>

<p>John MacPherson In Sync http://multimedia.streamlinenettrial.co.uk/ricoh/Resources/hbov-40.jpeg<br>

At first look this seems a simple play on the theme title, but I rather like it. The repeating pattern is indeed in sync and wins points on that account. It is technically well done and I'm happy to see an image that is from the documentary side as opposed to a street shot. The gray tones are smooth and modulated nicely. However, on second look, I notice the graphic quality is very strong and takes on the appearance of a face with two eyes and reminds me of some carved African ceremonial masks I've seen. </p>

<p>Dave Oakill In Sync http://dgoakill.com/img/s5/v4/p1015112473-4.jpg<br>

Well, those legs certainly are in sync. This is a very appealing picture. The worm's eye view adds interest but it is the triangular shape of the legs that gives the composition great strength. Mid day lighting is not ideal but the angle and graphic elements are so strong, one doesn't notice that too much. The B&W rendering is high quality. I think a shallower depth of field would have helped keep the focus on the legs more and perhaps a hint of movement might have added something to the image.</p>

<p>Well, I guess I totally missed there was a theme to the POW... Oh well...</p>

<p>Ok, now I will give it a go<br>

<a href="http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3228/3062413489_212ddea0da_o.jpg">Barry Fisher</a>:<br>

Intriguing shot, well "synced." The girl is just about to turn the corner, but we do not know here is she going. An everyday scene that a second earlier would have been nothing special, but her movement was just caught at the right moment. She chose the right door, the one with the light. Where do the doors lead? The strong point is the symmetry of the doors, juxtaposed with the asymmetry of the girl and the light on the right. It looks to be a sot taken at low light level and there seems a bit of camera shake, but not too distracting. Improvement? A bit more centered an straight would underscore the symmetry. If the ceiling was not included but the shot was taken from a bit further back, catching the reflection of the girl on the shiny floor which would have accentuated the asymmetry.</p>

<p><a href="http://d6d2h4gfvy8t8.cloudfront.net/12056931-md.jpg">Ian:</a><br>

Great illustration of synchrony, as these hands have to work together to complete the task. The sharpening of knives. The blur on the right conveys motion, the left hands are perfectly still, conveying calm and concentration. The fact that no faces and most of the body of the right person are not shown works, it focuses the attention on the task performed. Great tones. How could this have been better? I don't know.</p>

<ul>

</ul>

<p>This is the S&D forum at its best! Thanks for the excellent input from everyone. Anders, to warble means to sing like a bird. And, this is a 'beta test', so if anyone has any comments or suggestions to improve the review, please drop me an email. Dave, my intention was that any photo on POW #48 is fair game.<br>

Regarding Leslie's photo, the timing of the post made a huge impact on my perception. If it had not followed Louis' pic, it wouldn't have as much impact, it is "In sync" with the previous photograph, and that is brilliant. This ties in with what was discussed a few days ago about threads developing a certain rhythm on their own.</p>

<p><strong>Mark Todd</strong> <a href="http://static.photo.net/attachments/bboard/00X/00Xoj8-309327884.jpg">http://static.photo.net/attachments/bboard/00X/00Xoj8-309327884.jpg</a><br>

Great street shot that captures a moment perfectly. We don't know what happened before this or after, if she is yelling or yawning. A good street shot invites the viewer into the scene and makes them part of the subject's reality, in that moment, which this does. The image is a touch flat and I wish there was more contrast, but it looks like she was in complete shadow and this probably wasn't possible. Well seen.<br>

<br /><strong>Fi Rondo</strong> <a href="http://static.photo.net/attachments/bboard/00X/00XpP6-309927684.jpg">http://static.photo.net/attachments/bboard/00X/00XpP6-309927684.jpg</a><br>

The concept here is excellent (although I'm a sucker for legs) the contrast, the movement all work well. The anonymity of the woman, their backs facing us and that they are walking away from the viewer adds a hint of mystery to the shot. What I can't figure out is the stylized look of the shot. Slightly blurred and painted? I'm not sure if this was intentional or done in post, or part of compression, but I think it would be a stronger image if was purely black and white to play up the given contrast and noir feel this has going for it.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Regarding Leslie's photo, the timing of the post made a huge impact on my perception. If it had not followed Louis' pic, it wouldn't have as much impact, it is "In sync" with the previous photograph, and that is brilliant. This ties in with what was discussed a few days ago about threads developing a certain rhythm on their own.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I agree entirely with this observation.</p>

<p>One comment on this initiative of E.<br>

I find that it is clearly a success and should be repeated as proposed by E.<br>

Concerning the format the "rule-book" of E. are functioning well, but I would believe that comments on specific photos would be easier to appreciate if the photo referred to always could be embedded in the thread directly in relation to the comments. How that can be done, I leave to others to figure out.<br>

A great thanks to E. for having taken the initiative. </p>

<p>With all due respect, the "criticism" here leaves a lot to be desired. Mutual backslapping doesn't really help anyone. In fact, it has the reverse effect to what is intended. By being overly cautious, all you're doing is perpetuating the falsehood that much of what is posted here is very good, when quite the opposite is true. I believe that to develop it is important to be truly aware of one's own failures. Perhaps a thread where only negative criticism is required would be more effective.</p>