Editor does its thing again

q.g._de_bakker

<blockquote>

<p>[p]Agreed.[/p]<br />[p] [/p]<br />[p]But after my unparalleled scathing sarcasm has brought me a swift and certain victory, i still want something i can put in my profile.[/p]<br />[p] [/p]<br />[p]Have we veered [span id=_mce_start" s_t_y_l_e="line-height: 0; display: none][/span]a bit off-topic [span id=_mce_start" s_t_y_l_e="line-height: 0; display: none][/span]b[span id=_mce_start" s_t_y_l_e="line-height: 0; display: none][/span]y[span id=_mce_start" s_t_y_l_e="line-height: 0; display: none][/span] now?[span id=_mce_start" s_t_y_l_e="line-height: 0; display: none][/span][span id=_mce_start" s_t_y_l_e="line-height: 0; display: none][/span][span id=_mce_start" s_t_y_l_e="line-height: 0; display: none][/span][span id=_mce_start" s_t_y_l_e="line-height: 0; display: none][/span][span id=_mce_start" s_t_y_l_e="line-height: 0; display: none][/span][span id=_mce_start" s_t_y_l_e="line-height: 0; display: none][/span][span id=_mce_start" s_t_y_l_e="line-height: 0; display: none][/span][span id=_mce_start" s_t_y_l_e="line-height: 0; display: none][/span][span id=_mce_start" s_t_y_l_e="line-height: 0; display: none][/span][/p]<br />[p][span s_t_y_l_e=line-height: 0; display: none]Still, Bryan: make sure the fun of discovering what's on that film is all yours.[/span][/p]</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I have changed the brackets, and inserted underscores in the style-keyword.</p>

<p>Now tell me again that your tinyMCE behaves the way it should.</p>

<p>I'm wondering if this doesn't explain something or other.<br>

Looks to me like the problem is the editor<em> the text is being composed in</em> rather than on this end.</p>

<p>Has that messy Microsoft look to it, but it's not the only sinner in this regard.</p>

<p>JDM,</p>

<p>The text is composed using the site's tinyMCE.</p>

<p>Here's another sample of how good it is:</p>

<blockquote>

<p>[blockquote]<br />[p]In low light, yes, that difference does matter. [...][/p]<br />[/blockquote]<br />[p] [/p]<br />[p]I don't agree.[/p]<br />[p]Firstly, because the difference is small, and there is no hard limit between getting a good shot and one that is o.k. in such a small range, such a small difference in lens speed.[/p]<br />[p]Secondly, because if the success of your photography would depend on being able to squeeze a shot off using f/2.8, you are [span i_d=_mce_start" s_t_y_l_e="line-height: 0; display: none][span i_d=_mce_start" s_t_y_l_e="line-height: 0; display: none][span i_d=_mce_start" s_t_y_l_e="line-height: 0; display: none][/span][/span][/span]way, way[span i_d=_mce_start" s_t_y_l_e="line-height: 0; display: none][/span] past the point [span i_d=_mce_start" s_t_y_l_e="line-height: 0; display: none]at which you should have broken out the tripod[span i_d=_mce_start" s_t_y_l_e="line-height: 0; display: none][/span][span i_d=_mce_start" s_t_y_l_e="line-height: 0; display: none][/span][/span] and pure luck, more than anything else determines whether you got the shot or not.[/p]<br />[p] [/p]</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Again, brackets changed by me, and underscores inserted in key-words that would otherwise disappear due to tinyMCE.</p>

<p>Hmm. I presume you're looking at <em>source</em> material resulting from working in the entry box?</p>

<p>Here, let me see.</p>

<p>This is what I see in source that seems related to what I wrote above<br>

[p]Hmm. I presume you're looking at [em]source[/em] material resulting from working in the entry box?[/p]<br />[p]Here, let me see.[/p]<br /><br />If I look at html from the line above the box I get this.</p>

<p>[p]Hmm. I presume you're looking at [em]source[/em] material resulting from working in the entry box?[/p]<br />[p] [/p]<br />[p]Here, let me see.[/p]<br />[p] [/p]<br />[p]This is what I see in source that seems related to what I wrote above[/p]<br />[p][p]Hmm. I presume you're looking at [em]source[/em] material resulting from working in the entry box?[/p][br /][p]Here, let me see.[/p][br /][br /]If I look at html from the line above the box[br /][br /][/p]<br />[p] [/p]<br />[p] [/p]</p>

<p>I'm not sure where what you are showing comes from, although (as I already said) it has a suspicious Microsofty sort of look. Are you working in Windows with IE8 - is the editor in the system or the browser intruding itself? I'm not doubting your problem but can't seem to find where it is coming from on my Firrefox 3.6 on a Macintosh OS 10.5 system.</p>

<p>Here is what happens when I compose in Microsoft Word<br>

[p]Version:1.0 StartHTML:0000000105 EndHTML:0000003166 StartFragment:0000002290 EndFragment:0000003130 @font-face { font-family: "Times New Roman"; }p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal { margin: 0in 0in 0.0001pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: "Times New Roman"; }table.MsoNormalTable { font-size: 10pt; font-family: "Times New Roman"; }div.Section1 { page: Section1; }[/p] [p]Now if I should happen to write my text in Microsoft Word, and paste it in, all sorts of strange code pops up.[/p] [p] [/p] [p]Grub first, then ethics.[/p] [p]“Erst kommt das Fressen, dann kommt die Moral.”[/p] [p]Bert Brecht[/p] [p][em]Dreigroschen-Oper [/em][/p] [p]Akt II, Ballade über die Frage: “Wovon Lebt der Mensch”[/p] [p] [/p]</p>

<p>Version:1.0 StartHTML:0000000163 EndHTML:0000003407 StartFragment:0000002685 EndFragment:0000003371 SourceURL:file://localhost/HD%20Temporary/MS%20examp.txt @font-face { font-family: "Times New Roman"; }@font-face { font-family: "MS 明朝"; }p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal { margin: 0in 0in 0.0001pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: "Times New Roman"; }p.MsoPlainText, li.MsoPlainText, div.MsoPlainText { margin: 0in 0in 0.0001pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: Courier; }table.MsoNormalTable { font-size: 10pt; font-family: "Times New Roman"; }div.Section1 { page: Section1; }</p>

<p>If I save it as text, and then cut and paste I get</p>

<p><br />[p]Version:1.0 StartHTML:0000000105 EndHTML:0000003166 StartFragment:0000002290 EndFragment:0000003130 @font-face { font-family: "Times New Roman"; }p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal { margin: 0in 0in 0.0001pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: "Times New Roman"; }table.MsoNormalTable { font-size: 10pt; font-family: "Times New Roman"; }div.Section1 { page: Section1; }[/p]<br />[p]Now if I should happen to write my text in Microsoft Word, and paste it in, all sorts of strange code pops up.[/p]<br />[p] [/p]<br />[p]Grub first, then ethics.[/p]<br />[p]“Erst kommt das Fressen, dann kommt die Moral.”[/p]<br />[p]Bert Brecht[/p]<br />[p][em]Dreigroschen-Oper [/em][/p]<br />[p]Akt II, Ballade über die Frage: “Wovon Lebt der Mensch”[/p]<br />[p] [/p]</p>

<p>Which is a little less messy, but not clean like a TextEdit text on a Mac.</p>

<p>JDM,</p>

<p>You have with success shown why noone in his right mind would consider using MS Word to edit anything for the web. Saying that Word sucks at it may be the understatement of the century.</p>

<p>Don't know why you have gone through the trouble though, since the problem is with Photonet's tinyMCE, and no other editor is involved.</p>

<p>Yes, I saw that, but like the others, I don't see anything like what is happening to you.</p>

<p>I was just trying out for myself to see if I could not duplicate the problem, so much as <em>compare</em> it -- wondering if it were some editor internal to your own particular setup that was 'getting in its licks, so to speak before the tinyMCE was kicking in.</p>

<p>Like the built-in editor in the Mac OS itself, I was wondering if Microsoft had something comparable that was doing this in <em>their</em> OS (thinking that any 'system' Microsoft editor might share peculiarities with Word.)</p>

<p>No matter. Just puzzling over it. Certainly Word is not the most elegantly done software in the world ! ;)</p>

The last & only time I tried to use "style" in the text entry box (without involving tinyMCE at all), "style" was turned into "s_t_y_l_e". Based solely on that, could it be that something, somehow is making the text entry (in tinyMCE) to go from WYSIWYG-ish to raw text which could not make then be converted back to WYSIWYG-ish view?