Edge burn technique

Can anyone suggest a good technique for edge burning using Photoshop

(like you do in a wet darkroom)?

I'm yet to see a technique described that actually looks convincing,

yet I know it's possible because I've seen photo's online where it's

been done.

Thanks

1.) If you want to do the edges, use the Elliptical Marquee selection to choose, roughly,

the central area you DON'T want darkened. Then, FEATHER that selection. You'll have to

choose a pixel number that corresponds to the resolution of the file. Next, INVERT the

selection, so that you have the Outside areas selected. COMMAND-H to Hide the selection

'ants.' Then, use LEVELS to darken the outside area. First, use the center (graypoint)

marker, then/or use the left (blackpoint) marker. Since the selection is feathered, you will

effect the furthermost outside edges more than the innermost area. You can also do this

on a layer and then merge the two layers using one of the merge options with or without

opacity changes.

2.) Alternatively, you can simply duplicate the layer, darken the bottom later using Levels,

and then use a large, soft eraser BRUSH to 'erase' down to the darker layer.

the best method (and simplest) that I use is to use the "inner shadow" "layer style".<br><br>

select your layer in the layers pallet<br>

select the layer style icon from the bottom of the layers pallet.<br>

select inner shadow.<br>

set blending mode normal<br>

select black in the colour box<br>

set global light off<br>

set angle to 90.<br>

set distance to 0<br>

set choke to zero<br>

set size to what ever you need for your image.<br><br>

then play with opacity and size until you get what you want.<br>

<br>

I prefer a slightly concave contour shape but your mileage may vary.

<br><br>

if you want to vary the width of the edge burning from top to bottom or side to side then change the angle (if necessary) and alter the distance. i.e. angle and distance work together.

<br><br>

its much simpler to do than it sounds and the benifit is that the change is not permanent since you can just switch the style on and off or alter it as you like later.

<br><br>

you can copy and paste the layer style onto any subsequent images you want to apply it to or you could create an action of the process to add it to use it on other images.

Bob, one way I do it is to use the lasso tool, select the area you don't want to burn, invert the selection, feather according to your needs, copy to layer (optional) and then use Levels, curves or whatever else tool you prefer to darken the selection.<br>

<br>

I like to copy to layer as I can maintain control and tweak the layer further later if needed (or just delete and start again).<br>

<br>

This is a recommendation from a photography magazine - the best result would be to repeat the process a few times (each time obtaining a slightly different selection) and to only burn a little at a time. In this way it should result in an overall edge burn that is not too uniform and more 'natural'.<br>

<br>

Or course, you can use this technique not just for edge burning.<br>

<br>

You can also add other creative techniques to tweak this to your own style.<br>

<br>

To me, the key is how much you feather and how much (or little) you burn. Obviously, this also boils down to your own personal creative style.<br>

<br>

Hope this helps. M

This can be done very simply by using linear gradients(black to transparent)

on all four sides, starting at the edge and ending part way into the frame.

Fade opacity as required. This method also gives more darkening in the

corners which is generally considered beneficial.

It takes a bit of trial and error to get the length of the gradient right, but is

effective.