eBay triggers with Vivitar 283 & 285 - High Voltage = Danger?

Hi.<br />

I own a set of 5 radio triggers (gadgetinfinity & virtualvillage). <br />

I managed to put them working with my digital camera with 2 small flash units

from Promaster with low voltage. But now I want to try with Vivitar 283/285.

<br />

Some of the units have slow voltage (10 to 20v) but one of them has more than

300v and other, sometimes, shows a multimeter reading of 700v. <br />

My questions: <br />

1 - It's safe to connect the radio slaves directly to the high voltage Vivitars

I own? <br />

2 - Does the radio slaves suffer the same problem of the hotshoe of digital

cameras? (making them to "break" with the high voltage when the flash

fires?) <br />

3 - What is the procedure to know if I can connect the radio slaves directly to

the hotshoe of any flash (value of safe voltage of the flash?)? <br />

Thanks

Hi the 283 and the 285 are fantastic guns don?t get rid they are as powerful as almost any shoe mount gun, I will sagest you buy some optical slaves for your hi voltage guns, I mix 3 eBay slaves with 3 optical slaves with I find trigger much more reliable when used with hi voltage guns as the slave use the sync voltage as a power sappily

The vivitar slave I use the model number is SL2 (or SL 2) for a eBay search and is the best I have used hope this helps Dave

Thanks for all answers. <br>

I forgot to tell that I want a system that can work with digital, or in other words, a system that could handle with the preflash from the digital cameras. <br>

A few months ago I didn't knew how flash works with digital.

<br>I used with digital the same optical slaves I used with film but the digital pictures came worst than without the optical slaves.

<br> The radio triggers only fires the flash when the transmitter says "do it"

i use a canon 20D with no probs with any trigers i have the raido transmitter on the hot shoe and a mix of optical and raido trigers on the flash guns you will only have proberlems with the optical triggers if you use the pop up flash or a camera mounted gun as the camera may fire a pre flash for metering and will set the optical trigers off befor the shutter opens hope this helps Dave

• 1 year later...

Well, even though this is over a year down the track, I thought I'd post my experiences here just incase anyone comes'a searching!

I bought a set of cheapo ebay triggers about six months ago, with two receivers. I use them with a Vivitar 283, and an old Starblitz of a similar power (perhaps a stop less). My 283 has high voltage at the contacts, so I was cautious about cooking the receiver, but after installing the battery and seeing that there was nothing irreplaceable inside (being a bit of an electronics geek, there are drawers full of all sorts in my work room) I just went for it. They have survived well, and still continue to be very reliable, best budget purchase I've made in a while.