Ebay Bidders are Now Anonymous !

It's only on items over $200.

Most often, the items I sell start at $.99 with no reserve. Only on the rare occasion that one of my goes over $200 does it revert to bidder 1, bidder 2, etc.

Of course, as the seller, I can still see all the bidder's names.

I actually find the bidding summaries helpful, as they summarize a bunch of information about the bidder that would take a fair amount of time to dig up. This makes it really easy to spot shills.

Hi,

Malcolm...Yes, this reached the UK weeks ago. The seller has the choice whether or not to make his auctions with anonymous bidders. You can have totally anon auctions, or auctions where the high bidder becomes anon when the bidding goes above 100 GBP I belive.

Ebay says it is to stop the scammers who email fraudulent '2nd chance' offers to bidders. Trouble is it now opens up new possibilities to fraud. It is easier for dodgy sellers to up the price of their goods by getting friends to bid on them via schill bidding. It also stops helpful ebayers from emailing bidders to warn them if they are about to win dodgy or fake goods..

cheers Steve.

Steve, if dodgy, it's better to email ebay, who I've found take goods off very rapidly if you inform them. There was a chap a while back, kept listing a Minolta 600mm lens (and about 100k gbp of other goods he didn't possess) and they took his different identities off several times, til he got bored or found a more subtle game.