Easy at home development methods

With the quarantine I am unable to access my schools lab to develop rolls of film. Are there any relatively simple to setup methods I could use to develop my rolls at home? I've seen some all in one handheld setups but don't know if it would be better to just setup a normal darkroom with equipment.

Thanks!

All you need to develop film is a changing bag or a completely dark closet and tank, reels and chemicals that you were using at your school. Printing requires more, but a good friend of mine used to put his enlarger on a mechanic's cart along with trays, etc. and wheel it into his bathroom to make prints. Probably not as posh as you might have been used to at your school, but it can work. If you have the space, a dedicated room is obviously better.

relatively simple to setup methods ... to develop my rolls at home?

I don't get the question entirely.

35mm with leader sticking out of the cartridge can be processed anywhere in a daylight loading tank like Agfa Rondinax.

I own such but haven't used it. I rewind too carelessly; i.e. into the cartridge. I don't like tank & developer combos where I have to permanently twist a knob to agitate or keep the film wet. I also ended with way too many rolls to process just one at a time. / What to do about 120?

• Getting a changing back and a tank that takes 2 rolls of 35mm seems the best idea (short of buying some Jobo).

• Seek advice which developer might work well at your room's temperature.

If you dream of a full darkroom: Go for it.

But I'd want to have a handheld changing bag loaded tank for daylight processing anyhow. I don't feel that a film processor like the before mentioned Jobo is really needed (for simple B&W). It is just more convenient when your processing times get a bit longer. An enlarger for printing at home is very nice though. At school I always felt kicked out way too early. - YMMV.

Although some scoff at it, if you don't really want to put the normal time and effort into it, there is always stand or semi-stand processing. The results can be quite acceptable, both for normal printing or digitizing.

I don't like tank & developer combos where I have to permanently twist a knob to agitate or keep the film wet.

What?

Keeping the film wet is not the purpose of agitation. And with 'twizzle stick' type tanks, you don't have to do that continuously.

Maybe the Rondinax is different, but loading a normal tank in a changing bag is really no big deal.

Inversion agitation is by far the best and most efficient method of exchanging fresh developer with the used developer that's been in contact with the film - and that's the sole purpose of agitation.

if you don't really want to put the normal time and effort into it.....

....then why bother?

• Like 1

If you buy a changing bag, try to get one with a frame inside to hold it off your hands and equipment while you load your film onto the reels. We use several PhotoFlex Changing Rooms at the community college where I teach (when there isn't a pandemic going on...) and they work well. Regular changing bags tend to get hot and sticky inside if you aren't quick at loading.
  • Like 1

Maybe the Rondinax is different

It is. Agfa recommend 200ml of developer and twisting the wheel on the side abruptly clockwards every other second. That looks pretty close to rotary developing machines like Jobo to me. I had conventional twizzle stick tanks that took more chemicals, where the film was completely immersed and guess there, in the Rondinax, it can't be.

I didn't want to add confusion to this thread, by mentioning that daylight loading tank. But asked about

relatively simple to setup methods
I thought I should cover the most extreme too.

@AJG 's point about Changing Rooms is probably right. I would at least recommend getting a rather big bag that allows loading film holders of all sizes, in case you want a bigger LF camera some day. The bag I have gets rather cramped with 13x18cm holders and only allows graceful handling of 4x5" ones. Using scissors inside a Changing Room must also be less worrying than avoiding to damage a bag with them. I'd still call bags "good enough" and easier to store away or travel with.

If you buy a changing bag, try to get one with a frame inside to hold it off your hands and equipment while you load your film onto the reels.

(snip)

Regular changing bags tend to get hot and sticky inside if you aren't quick at loading.

I try to fill it with air by lifting up the top from the inside, with heavy (enough) tank inside. Usually it works.

On warm summer days, sweat and humidity can be a problem. Better to do it in a cooler place.

-- glen