Easiest to use compact for $100 or less?

Discussion in 'Mirrorless Digital Cameras' started by fast_primes, Dec 27, 2011.

1. Happy Holidays folks,
    I was asked at a Christmas gathering, what camera could I recommend for less than $100. Not having the faintest idea, I decided to put it to photo-net. So what are a few of the easiest to use digital compact cameras selling for under $100? The proposed user is not a techie.
    Thanks very much.
    fp

2. I prefer Canon PowerShots for my personal use, but I have to purchase simple p&s digitals for work for the staff to use. I usually buy Kodak EasyShare cameras from Target that usually run around $99-$120. They perform well enough to satisfy most (nearly all) non-techie folks, and they usually turn out nice photos. That might be a starting point. With after-Christmas sales, you might even look at the prices of PowerShots at Walmart, Sam's Club, or Best Buy. I bet they'll have some very competitive prices as well.

3. That's almost an impossible question to answer. I've tried several, and they pretty much all perform similarly. Cheapest Sony, Canon, Olympus, Fuji, Kodak, etc., all take good, easy pictures, and there are many you can get for 100$ or less if you shop around for models that will soon be replaced with something newer that does no better. Without having reviewed specs, it seems to me that Sony's provide the fastest lenses in cheaper cameras, followed by Canon. That can be an advantage.

4. Hopefully Rob Bernhard will answer, because he has good knowledge. I don't follow budget models. "A leading consumer magazine" does not recommend any camera below $140. DCresource recommends the Elph 100, currently around $120. Not sure about ease of use - it is very small.

http://www.dcresource.com/buyersguide/

5. I have a Panasonic DMC FS16, which is really simple to use and has an useful 'intellegent auto' mode (and basically no reason to leave this mode!). It's light and small, and photos are decent quality. It's a bit over $100, though. For roughly the same money, the Canon Ixus 105 is also a good camera (no idea how they call that model in the US, something Digital Elph probably).

6. At this price, they are pretty much the same, probably come from the same source in China. With this budget, just go to the stores, check them out yourself. The good deals depend mainly on old models, on sale

7. I disagree, John. Some of these low-priced cameras produce very bad results - inferior to an iPhone, although some Android phones are worse.