early Kubrick as still photographer

JDMvW

These photos are eminently cinematic and well worth studying for how to infuse still photos with movement, style, gesture, expression, narrative and so many qualities that give life to photos.

I recommend two of his early movies, along with his more well known later ones, The Killing (1956) and Paths of Glory (1957), which is one of the greats.

Thanks for the link.

We didn't need dialogue. We had faces!

I've been a Kubrick fan from his early films.

2001 is my favorite still, but like the critics (including King himself who didn't like it at first) I've come to appreciate the Shining.

A while back at Yellowstone Park I checked into the hotel and was given a key to room 237. I asked, isn't that the... and the clerk said "yes"...

I did a post once here on cameras in Kubrick (LINK)

These photos are eminently cinematic and well worth studying for how to infuse still photos with movement, style, gesture, expression, narrative and so many qualities that give life to photos.

Fred, I totally agree with your assessment. I've carefully looked at all of them and, if forced to pick a favorite, it would be "Peter Arno... Sophisticated Cartoonist." It's crystal clear from his expression that Arno's playing the piano was a diversion from his work and a joy.

Thanks, JDM, for posting this thread. I was totally unaware beforehand that Kubrick did still work.

Kubrick was meticulous on terms of cinematic framing and how he worked the elements of a scene to his vision. He preferred to have the camera and actors tell the story and not his editor either. Drove a lot of his actors nuts with retakes, but he was a perfectionist.

I knew he was a photohrapher, but first time I've seen his work. His framing with still work matches his cinematic work, and it's all superb.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...