Early Argus C3 - cocking lever fatigue

dave_g1

<p>I bought this early (1941) Argus C3. Aside from being dusty it seems to be in excellent condition - with one major exception.</p>

<p>The shutter cocking lever is fatigued and cracked. I thought I would be able to swap out a lever from my circa 1955 C3 - but this is not the case. These early levers aren't reverse threaded.</p>

<p>Does anybody know when Argus switched from a normal thread to a reverse thread for the cocking lever? I'd like to find a replacement so I can use this veteran Argus.</p>

<p> </p><div>00ZKL5-398147584.JPG.2e35e2cd1b7388d197cf8e51868d0769.JPG</div>

<p>Also the camera in general is pretty cool so far as a C3 goes. There is no aluminum in it at all aparently. Everything is either a chromed casting or brass. The lens is chromed brass and must weigh at least twice as much as the postwar aluminum versions.<br /> Also check out the f-stop sequence. The lens is uncoated, and the film speed reminder dial is in Weston, not ASA.</p><div>00ZKL7-398149584.JPG.12d2033ff6aef11f7cc6a7fddec092af.JPG</div>

<p>@ John: That is what it looks like. I've never heard of it being a problem on argus cameras though. I carefully inspected all other castings for any sign of cracking or wrinkling but everything else looks mint. <br>

I guess I can put the lens on one of my later C3s once I check the focus.</p>

• 1 month later...
<p>Ever find the lever? I've got several boxes of C3's that I never got around to restoring and may have what you need. I don't recall them being right-hand threaded, but it's been a while since I tore one down. I do know I have bodies with the brass lenses which have the oddball f-stops.</p>