Eagles in Homer, Alaska

scott_linstead

Has anyone visited this location? Is it well known as a good spot

for eagles and are there any comparable locations that aren't as

far? What time of year is best for this activity and how are the

eagles, are they less nervous there that anywhere else?

ANY input on this topic would be appreciated, even if you haven't

actually made the trip.

Thanks

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it well known as a good spot for eagles?

yes, the best

Are there any comparable locations that aren't as far?

none that I know

What time of year is best for this activity?

March

are they less nervous there that anywhere else?

yes, a ready supply of food helps

Scott, read up on Eagle Lady in Homer.

If you want to photograph eagles at close range, this IS the spot.

See you in March.

I visited Homer last February on my own. It's easy to get lots of shots of eagles without

paying for

one of those packaged tours -- although you won't get into the 'inner sanctum' (the small

walled 'compound') of the 'eagle lady' (Jean Keene). It's kind of a strange situation -- as

far as I can tell, Ms. Keene has zero official

authority but she attempts to boss people around who get too close to the birds on foot

(even though the feeding takes place in a public parking lot right next to the main road

through the Homer Spit). <P>

You should know that the practice of eagle feeding is highly controversial in Homer. Many

locals

support it

because it brings in winter tourist money (and eagles are cool, let's face it). In fact, it's not

just the 'eagle lady' who are feeding the birds these days. Many in the community loath

the idea as unnatural and disruptive. Fish and Wildlife officials don't like it at all -- it's

raised the eagle population from maybe 5 to maybe 150, and that number of large,

predatory birds is beginning to hammer on the local widlife (seabirds, etc. etc.). And there

is potential for disease transmission with that density of birds in one spot. It's possible

the practice may be outlawed.<P>

I found the spectacle kind of disturbing. 20 or 30 eagles sqatting in the mud in front of

the 'compound' begging for fish scraps isn't exactly a dignified scene. On the other hand,

you can get great shots, and I certainly took plenty. FWIW, some of these are <A

HREF="http://www.biology.ucr.edu/personal/MACphotos/birds3/

eaglewinter.html">here</a> and <A HREF="http://www.biology.ucr.edu/personal/

MACphotos/birds3/eaglefly.html">here</a>.<P>

If you stay at the Land's End motel, it's only a quarter-mile or so to the eagle feeding spot,

and you may well see a lot of other photogenic wildlife. I got good pictures of (unfed)

longtailed ducks, emperor geese, rock sandpipers, rosy finches, etc., plus lots of lovely

scenery.

Mark, thanks for the great insite

That is just the kind of info I think anyone should know before going. I've read about the incidents at Yellowstone when photographers go nuts when a grizzly is sited and the rangers have to intervene. Although I can't argue with the excellent results you've obtained, it sounds like the experience is somewhat corrupted. The idea of some "eagle lady" barking orders at the public, but perhaps looking the other way when you lay down US$ 1700 doesn't sound like something i want to drive thousands of miles for.

From a commercial standpoint, I question the marketability of bald eagle images(and all other wildlife images, haha) as it seems that a lot of photographers have really great shots already. If it costs a fortune just to get there and I can't even enjoy the experience because it has become political, maybe I should reconsider.

Scott: I don't think it's necessarily a cut-and-dried case, although it's everyone's own

judgment call. I'm not sure if Ms. Keene gets any

of the money paid to photo tour leaders; I have no idea if there is any quid pro quo

involved.

And as I said, there's lots to photograph in Homer besides eagles. I think I had at least as

much fun with the <A HREF="http://www.biology.ucr.edu/personal/MACphotos/birds1/

emperorgeese.html">emperor geese</a> and <A HREF="http://www.biology.ucr.edu/

personal/MACphotos/birds1/LTD.html">longtailed ducks</a> as with the eagles. <P>

I don't know where you live, but one can do quite a lot in Alaska in Feb/March besides go

to

Homer.

Homer is about 3 or 4 hours from Anchorage, depending on traffic.

You can camp on the spit (a worthwhile experience) or you can rent a room from several places, I recommend the Driftwood Inn, not the biggest rooms, but the most unique inn in Homer. In Homer eagles are about as common as gulls, ok not really, but they are everywhere. Especially on the spit. I know this is off topic but if you can afford it have a boat take you to Gull Island (puffins, comerants and common murres)or over to Seldovia, if you're lucky you'll see whales too. I don't know about the best time. I've only been there in the May, June and July. But those weren't bad months, really nice actually.<div>00EO69-26789984.jpg.7b8d09847655db293f46ca3c68a8fc2f.jpg</div>

Having not been there in Feb or March I can't give a definitive answer on that, but there is no shortage of Eagles the months that I was there, (Each month was in a different year by the way). So I would hazard a guess that being there in Feb or March is not imperative. However, it can get crowded on the spit by the middle of June, especially on weekends.

I spent a few days in Homer in July. Not an eagle to be seen closer than several hundred

meters, and about ten thousand people on the Spit, fishing and touristing and hanging out.

Total zoo. Not sure what it would be like before the summer rush period. But if it's bald

eagles you're after, there are lots of places in Alaska where they are common and conditioned

to people in summer. I took some nice photos at a nest in the middle of a city park in

Anchorage, and there were quite a few (including nests) in Seward. They don't call them

"Sitka seagulls" for nothing.

By the way, if you don't want to travel all the way to Alaska to photograph eagles, and you could come up here to Minnesota in the winter months. There is a place just south of the Twin Cities that is justly famous for the gathering of Eagles. Draws photographers from around the world because of the high consentration of eagles.

Another Alaskan hot spot for winter eagles is near Haines. The Chilkat River has a substantial winter run of chum salmon, and the eagles gather for the feast. Unlike Homer, this is a natural phenomenon. There are many more wintering eagles in Haines, but they are not as congested and not being hand fed, so I suspect you will often be wanting something longer than a 300mm lens. A bonus is that Haines is 700 miles closer to the "real world" than Homer. You can even take the AK ferry system from Bellingham, Washington direct to Haines. More money but it's a nice winter trip. I haven't been to Haines in years, but I think the eagles still show up.

Another winter gathering spot is the Kenai River from Kenai Lake to Russian River, about half way from Anchorage to Homer. If the winter has been relatively mild (not so far this year) the river stays open, and the eagles are in the trees looking to feast on the stragglers from a late run of silver salmon or the occasional world class rainbow trout. If the weather warms a just bit in February or March, you'll even see them from the highway on the drive to Homer, but you have to look close. I spotted over 60 of them roosting in the trees along the river banks in late February once, but I had to float the river to see that many. Again, a very long lens would be useful.

I haven't been to Homer in the winter in years, so I'll have to go by what the others have posted, similar stories I've heard, and the pictures I've seen. The wide view generally seems chaotic and not interesting, but there are plenty of photographic eagle opportunities to be had with a long lens - just watch for distraction in your backgrounds

As far as summer goes, they're everywhere. You even see them in down town Anchorage occasionally. I get out on the local rivers quite a bit & see them all the time. All it takes is a float trip.<div>00EO7W-26790484.JPG.781939632a33385c50e159545f5e8e46.JPG</div>

"are there any comparable locations that aren't as far?"

The Klamath Basin here in Oregon is a good winter eagle area. There is a place called Bear Valley (roosting spot in big trees) where the birds have a 'flyout' each morning to the wildlife refuges. It's more of a 'distance' viewing area, but not too touristy. :)

I was intro'd to an excellent eagle nesting spot in northern Oregon last season. Spectatcular place! Will be roaming around there much earlier this next year. Cheers and good luck, -Greg-

Ditto, everyone. I grew up in Homer, but haven't lived there for a few years. Yes, by all means go in the winter. But the only advantage with March, in my opinion, is more daylight than January or February. March is usually a heavy snow month. Avoid May like the plague! Unless you enjoy sleet and lots of mud and snow and ice and any combination of the above. I would say the Homer spit would be the easiest place to photograph eagles, kind of like a zoo without bars or netting...you get the idea. :-)<BR>

Are the eagles less nervous than anywhere else? I don't know about that, but I'd rather not be close to a dangerous bird that sees no need to be skittish of me, with only a camera for protection.<BR><BR>

If you only have 3 days in Alaska, and you MUST get a picture of a Bald Eagle, go to Homer. But if you have a few weeks, take your time, drive the back roads, 4x4 strongly recommended most of the year, and avoiding no trespassing signs. Look around, and enjoy the scenery.<BR><BR>

I would second Jim Strutz' suggestion on taking the Alaska Marine Highway System up the southeast passage. Drive up the west coast, park your car in Bellingham, or take it on the ferry with you. But, yes, the eagles will be farther than 4ft away from you.<BR><BR>

There seems to be a few older posts on this subject, please check them out.<BR>

Good luck,<BR>

Kim

<p>I have been to Homer three times, once scouting and twice as an assistant on a workshop. There are benefits to being on a workshop, but it certainly isn't necessary to be on one to get images. In a workshop you are directed to the prime locations at the right times, and are networked for other opportunities. In our workshop last year we did pretty well with the Emperor Geese and Gray-crowned Rosy Finches, too. Plus you get help with exposure, different techniques, etc.</p>

<p>But, as has been said, you don't need to be a part of a workshop group to get good photos, and in fact you cannot be in the compound as a part of a workshop. Jean does not ask for money, however I and others have sent money to her to help defray the costs of the fish, which she now purchases out of pocket. The compound is a great location, and I think Jean is a really neat lady.</p>

<p>There is controversy about feeding eagles, stirred up by a small but very persistent and vocal group that appear to have ulterior motives. (Best to do your own research though and draw your own conclusions.) The Alaska Board of Game is supposed to hear a proposal in January 2006 that asks for a statewide ban on feeding eagles, and, if passed, will obviously affect future photo opportunities. Whether it would be implemented right away and affect visitors in the winter 2006 or not is uncertain.</p>

<p>Because of the publicity of the controversy, the local Harbormaster has circulated information about a ban from feeding the eagles on all Habormaster properties. From my understanding, this affects just about all beaches on the Spit where photographers might do this on their own, except in front of Jean's and Lands End. Hopefully someone else can chime in with more accurate information if this is incorrect.</p>

<p>I can also say from experience that dealing with the anti-feeder group was not fun, we were being stalked in a sense and were frequently videotaped. We were also accused of things by them after we left that we did not do, but since we were not around to defend ourselves who knows what the town/state believes at this point.</p>

<p>Anyway, all of that aside, I have visited twice in February. The daylight might be about an hour shorter and the temps colder than in March, however, there are fewer other photographers around, PLUS I like the fact that the snow helps light the underside of the birds - a nice advantage with such dark plumage.</p>

<p>Hope this helps!</p>

<p>See my Homer images <a href=http://www.hforcier.com><u>on my website</u></a> or <a href=http://heatherforcier.naturescapes.net><u>in my online portfolio</u></a>.</p>

<"Closer" is, of course, relative.....>

True indeed. But I assumed that most people would be coming from or passing thru the Lower 48 or Southern Canada. I don't have to go so far myself as there are at least 6 active nests within a few miles of my house. The fishing spots however give better and more photo ops. The bottom of an eagle's nest looks like a bunch of sticks, pretty boring photo :)