found it. Been a film guy since high school, (Minolta X-700)x2, and a pile of

lenses and accessories, including Auto bellows one and focusing rail. Been

researching the E510 for about a month now, and while I've found some answers

to questions, I haven't found specifically what I want to know. First, I got on

to the E510 from a link from the Rokkor files site about the 4/3 system, and

when I found hope of using my manual lens collection on a DSLR I started

drooling immediately. Now, I understand all operations will be manual if using

these lenses, but will the aperture priority metering still work as long as I

manually stop down the lens? Is there any image degradation using these lenses?

I understand new technology and better coatings, but if a person is mindful of

flare and other aberrations will they produce decent images?

Is the only difference between the E410 and the E510 the IS system? If so, for

a manual film camera guy converting to serious digital, do I want or need IS or

is it a selling gimmick? In comparing the spec sheets that is the only

difference I can see. I hear many complaints of the small viewfinder in the

Oly's, is this still the case? Does the ME1 eyepiece magnifier make enough

difference to be worth the money, and how easy does any or all of this work

with someone who is stuck wearing glasses? Ive read of difficulty focusing

manual lenses due to the small finder. Has anyone tried using a bellows set up

for macro with these bodies? And last of all for now, Can you do live capture

with these cameras? I was hoping so, I might be able to focus better on a

larger screen.

So would you recommend buying the "kits" or just a body and a lens adapter

since I'm already "tooled up"? So far my digital experience is limited to an

old but well worn D360L 1.3mp, and a flatbed scanner. By no means anywhere near

and advanced amateur, but would like to get there someday.

Sorry for the long first post, trying to decide where best to spend a limited

amount of money. TIA for any advice

Jim

To clarify some common misconceptions:

1. You don't "manually stop down the lens". When you mount a manual lens, the diaphram automatically closes to what the aperture ring is set to. In other words, its like the DOF preview button is always pressed. So the camera will meter correctly for the aperture setting without you having to do anything else. You may need to open the diaphram for focusing.

2. The image will be as good as the lens. Olympus claims their digital lenses collimate the light to make up for limitations on digital sensors. But the 4/3 sensor is small enough compared to a 35mm frame that it should not be an issue. Any lens made in the last 30 years uses the same technology (that's when computer design was introduced for optics). They are most likely multicoated as well.

3. IS is a gimmick. With digital you can change the ISO with each shot to get a fast enough shutter speed. IS adds cost, weight and complexity and is as likely to blur an otherwise clear image as vice versa. Canon knows this so they turn off the IS when the camera is on a tripod. (Yes, IS can cause a blurry image when the camera is locked down on a tripod!)

4. The viewfinder on the E-series is no smaller than other APS sensor DSLRs. Canon's Xti has a noticably darker finder than my E500. The difference with the E-series is the aspect ratio. The viewfinder is not as wide and the readouts are on the side instead of the bottom. Once you get used to it, there is no problem.

5. The ME1 viewfinder works great and is well worth the money. I don't know that it makes the finder as big and bright as my OM's, but it makes manual focus very easy. It works fine for me with my glasses.

6. I've used the extension tubes with various manual zuikos and they work just fine.

7. Both the cameras you mention have live view. I've never found focusing on an LCD screen to be workable, but I can't speak for these two specific cameras (my e500 does not have live view).

8. Olympus' kit lenses are considered quite good.

And one unsolicited comment:

The image quality of the E-series is very good. I would put my E500 up against any Nikon or Canon DSLR. Folks claim the 410/510 are better, but I wonder how much of that is "Gee wiz! They're new!". The E1 is well known for its image quality. But if you've "...been a film guy since high school...", you'll find that even the best digital image can't compare to a good transparency. (Yes, I've actually compared the same compositions from my OM's and my E500 and there is a BIG difference in quality).

I would take issue with the comment that IS is a gimmick. It allows you to capture shots that otherwise you wouldn't get. With my Canon gear I would not buy a telephoto lens that was not image stabilised. I would not have moved to Olympus (E-510 and E-3) if they had not cme out with IS through the in-body IS. And high ISO cannot always compensate for lack of IS - very high ISO's reduce Image Quality and sometimes even high ISO isn't enough. Once you have experienced IS then you won't want to go back.

I've tried some old M42 primes on my E-1 recently. They're fun, and mechanically they're wonderful, but optically, they show lots of flaws. Stopped down quite a bit they're OK, but from a practical point of view, it would be easier, faster, and even better optically to use the kit lenses at those apertures. If I were to use them seriously, it would be with an eye towards trying to exploit their shortcomings in a so-bad-it's-good sort of way. Maybe you'll have better luck with your Rokkors though. Still, if you decide to buy either a 410 or 510, I'd suggest getting at least the one lens kit. Throwing in the kit lens will add about $100 to the body-only price, and if you find that you're happy enough using just your manual lenses, you can sell the kit lens for that price with no trouble.

Live view with the 10x enlargement is a boon for macro.It provides much better focus than is possible on viewfinder. The only reason I have not upgraded to an E-510 is the fixed screen. E-330 and E-3 both have articulated screen for high and low level pics, its a must. Filming those mushrooms from underneath is simple.

Thanks to all, and especially Mr Huggins, for his concise input. Thats what I was looking for. See we only have one real camera store in town anymore, & I cant put my grubby paws on one of these for my own evaluation. They will order me one with a deposit, but how do I know I want it, without even seeing one in person? Idiots.

Anyway, IF the only diff between the 510 and the 410 is the IS system, I would skip it, especially since right now you can get the 2 lens- 410 kit from Amazon for 549.99 and free shipping.

I was curious about the viewfinder complaints and did wonder if indeed, it was just because the aspect ratio was different.

I know a film scan of a good transparency should be superior, the problem lies with the expense of a quality film scanner(3-4 times a DSLR). Again, our local camera shop oozes disappointment, offering film scanning for .50 cents each, on a illuminated flatbed scanner. The folks there are knowledgeable and helpful, so don't get me wrong, just no big time service in a one horse town.

Moving to a DSLR is only an upgrade in a hobby situation for me. The D360L just isn't enough, and it's starting to loose its marbles as well. While I like film and will continue, I want to learn more digital and the darkroom side of digital better. Been using Ulead Photo Impact XL and need to really learn to use it. Wish I had a local college class for this stuff, alas, the one horse rears it ugly head again.

Thanks again for the advice. More research is in my future

Jim

One more difference is that the E510 has direct buttons for more functions. In the E410 more settings need to be accessed through the screen. Also depending on the size of your hands the E410 may be a little too small to fit comfortably. I have ordered an E510, after holding them both at a shop in Helsinki. I have found the reviews at http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/oly-e/index.html especially helpful in making up my mind.

There is one last difference between the E410 and the E510. The E510 uses a larger and

more robust battery. While the E410 battery is going to be good enough for most people

and situations, people who may find themselves in situations where battery life is critical

would be advised to buy a second battery if they decide on the E410 over the E510

A lot of nit-picking and personal likes/dislikes going on here. Somewhat unfair to the 410. But, as they say, YMMV. I have large hands and have no problem whatsoever with my 410. Also, coming from other Olympus cameras, I think the menus are very easy to navigate and easy to change a setting or two. The battery also seems to last forever. The first thing I did was buy a spare battery and I have never needed it yet, although I do a lot of casual shooting, a little each day, but never continuously shot for hours at a time. I have had it with me on a private eye detail where I've kept it on standby for 24 hours and shot the subject every hour or two and its not even been run down after that. A very big difference and a welcome change from my previous shooter the E-10 which ate alkalines every 15 minutes!

• 2 weeks later...