E5 official release

Discussion in 'Olympus' started by analox, Sep 13, 2010.

1. http://dpreview.com/previews/OlympusE5/page3.asp
    More news
    http://www.43rumors.com/continually-updated-here-it-is-the-new-e-5/
    My thoughts:
    There is not much revolutionary features from Olympus in E5 then. However, if you love the Zuiko lens (like me), I still think E5 sounds appealing to Olympus users, except for the high price. E5 has pretty much what basic improvements I could ask Olympus for. At least we should wait for some sample images taken by E5 to compare with older TruPic sensor and others. Is it that image quality was why most of us choose Olympus at the beginning?
    How's about yours?

2. 'At some point someone has to draw a line in the sand… We will continue to support that [E-system] until other technology catches up,' said Thackara.
    Jorke predicted that the concept of a camera 'will change in 5-10 years'. However, in a bid to reassure photo enthusiasts, she said there will always be an Olympus camera body available – whether a DSLR or another type of camera altogether – to allow users to benefit from current Four Thirds lenses.
    Quote from: http://www.amateurphotographer.co.u...last_Four_Thirds_DSLR_camera_news_301801.html
    Well... I guess that is it then. Clearly, there is no 'professional' future in Olympus cameras.
    Where to go? Canon full frame? they can take all the OM lenses through an adapter...
    Olympus did it before and they seem intent on doing it again - they are about to kill off the advanced amateur and pro end of their business.
    Very sad. I am glad I resisted the urge to invest in the E-3 and can certainly see no reason to invest in the E-5. My 620 has art filters...

3. Has to be the biggest letdown going. Years of waiting and it's basically an E3.

4. It's not that bad for non-professionals. I saw a few sample photos on the Olympus Japanese website and they look pretty good. What else do we expect? Maybe a better CMOS like the one used in GH2? And faster continuous autofocus? Or better high ISO sensitivity? I agree due to the inherited problem of small sensors, it's hard to beat APS-C in high ISO arena. However, autofocus function has a lot of room to improve.
    For an amateur like me, even E620 is enough. If we only look at image quality, even E-P1 is pretty good up to ISO800. The other day I posted a few test photos on a photo gear forum. Those were taken with E-P1 I just got and the 25mm f/1.4 lens (using adapter). People commented that they are of Leica quality. So I guess good lenses mean more than camera bodies, at least for not so demanding uses. The only thing that really bothers me is the price. $1700? It's crazy. I would buy an E-5 if the price drops below $1100. And that may take a couple of years, I guess.

5. Anyone who's been reading Olympus DSLR forums is so pre-conditioned that the E5 isn't going to be worth the upgrade the resulting moaning over the past few hours was a forgone conclusion once the camera did come out.
    Time to pass out the pacifiers.....it's a camera people....if you currently own an Olympus DSLR it's better than anything you currently have. I'm all for the whiners buying a Canon or Nikon right now so you can move on to those forums.

6. The point, for me, is that this will be the last E System 'pro' DSLR -- Olympus will not be going forward with anything but mirrorless cameras. Consumer targeted cameras.
    No matter how advanced they are electronically, DSLRS, rangefinders, medium format cameras all rely on body stabilisation and viewfinders are there to help a photographer compose and create photographs. Field cameras are an exception to this rule, but they are used on a tripod or other mounting system and the image is composed and focused on ground glass.
    Today we buy the Penn, etc. to have a highly portable alternative to a full DSLR. A lesser alternative.
    I will switch brands before I will try to compose and shoot at arm's length for anything but snapshots. I will go back to older, less technically advanced cameras before I would do that.
    I have been working around the noise shortcomings of the 4/3 sensor for years waiting for the day they would announce they had fixed the problem. Now they have - they have walked away from commercial and higher level photography altogether, choosing to aim at the point and shoot market instead.
    They gave up on the SLR market when it came to auto-focus and they are doing it again now. Once again orphaning some of the best lenses ever made.
    A very great shame

7. Well, they do have a business to run and the rapid growth of the popularity of their EVIL style cameras has probably sucked company resources away to capitalize on the revenues before all the other brands jump on and dilute market share. Seems to me the E-5 brings their flagship line up to the expectations of users who wish to continue use of the 4/3rd's format. Does it mean they are deserting the professional user? Some non-Olympus users maintain Oly never aimed at professionals because they didn't embrace the full-frame sensor, but many of us know working professionals who are maintaining their art and business using this very system. Are there limitations to the Olympus system? Sure, just as there are limitations for any photographic system but as photographers don't we stress people should focus on the image first and the tools second?
    Let me put it another way. How much are you willing to pay Olympus to deliver the body you want that will satisfy all your needs? And what are those needs? I'm afraid I'd get a really expensive camera that does a limited number of things really well (Leica) or a Swiss-army knife camera that does lots of things but none really well. Neither fits my photography workflow or style.
    When I need wall sized images I shoot MF film and scan at high resolution. When I want a small camera to snapshot my way around town I'll grab a point-and-shoot. My E-3 and E-510 work fine for my landscape and nature photography images at the sizes I print. Do I hope Olympus keeps paying attention to my type of photography and business? I think in their lens line they are doing so - they offer truly professional quality lenses. Now they claim their flagship body is worthy of their lenses. Let's look at some images in the future and see.

8. I'm semi-retired, but I still do some professional work. I find Olympus digital SLRs (E-300 and E-510) good eough for my requirements. Different kinds of professional work have different needs.

9. I have little quarrel with the offering. As Greg concludes, nothing but a miracle could have satisfied the stage door johnnies...There is no proof to some of the assertions until tests are offered. I speak of the insidious Mr Noise..who jumps out of the shadows to remind one that E system can never be a tool to keep us interested.
    Now, there is one new real good feature that noone has discussed yet anywhere, at least that I can tell from a quick appraisal of the chit chat places. Full time Live View in a DSLR with a conventional pentaprism for the pentaprism set...if they have beaten down the autofocus problem in that mode, (unless I misread the press release) then this is a real serious upgrade. Sure, I can quibble with multi function buttons...the movie mode and the auto focus zone together. I harumph at that choice. But don't quote me..:) I am glad that they delivered something to keep me interested. Nice job, Oly company. Domo!

10. No reason why EVIL cannot be pro-quality -- Canon's likely to offer a m4/3rds-sized pro EVIL camera in about six months. (see canonrumors.com) Olympus' probably concentrating on an equivalent body as well.
    BTW, 4/3rds lenses can still be used on m4/3rds bodies via an adapter.

11. Some other thoughts:
    1. When I hear about the improvement over the image quality, i.e., a lighter AA filter (my major concern is here) and a new, professionally-tuned TruPic V+ processor, I guess that is all the basic I want from the new E5. When I see the image samples from Olympus website, kinda "feel" the improvement there. Still, more systematic comparison to E3, D300s and 60D would be very useful. Anyway, like your PC, same case, but new CPU processor, why so disappointed? Features-wise, I agree that "Seems to me the E-5 brings their flagship line up to the expectations of users who wish to continue use of the 4/3rd's format." :)
    2. The statement on the future of mirrorless camera does mean no "professional" camera, doesn't it? Why not a mirrorless camera, with phase-detection fast focus, weather-proof, etc..., like the new move of Sony STL-A55? Actually, I was hoping that Olympus would be the first to introduce this...
    3. Amazon is selling E5 (pre-order) at 1699$. Canon 60D is sold at 1100$. I think the price should be reduce in the future, especially with the release of Nikon D7000 at 1200$. Let's hope...

12. My reading of things is that Olympus is NOT abondoning the pro market.

13. My reading of things is that Olympus is NOT abondoning the pro market.​
    I can't recall any company actually that was ever in the 'pro market' that made a market decision to abandon it or not support their line with a top range model to be a platform for their top lenses. Slow to market is not a fatal thing. Goodby to all who are selling off their SHG lenses and heading to C and N. Name a competitive price and we all might actually be interested. Love my ED lenses:) gs

14. I think some of you are right; this may very well be the last of the high-end E-series camera offerings. Anyone believe there will be an E-7?
    I looked at the features and specifications. I see some strong points such as 7 frame exposure bracketing and the new on-board processor. All of this was done to enhance image dynamic range. The E-3 and E-30 allow for 5 frame exposure bracketing which produces very good quality HDR images.
    I also see some weak points such as not increasing the megapixels beyond 12.3; that appears to be the limit of 4/3 size sensor. Until there are some comparisons against the other major competitors, Nikon and Canon, within the same price range, then the subject of dynamic range is questionable.
    The additional art filters was one of my predictions of increasing the on-board basic Photoshop type image enhancements/post production tricks. The new additional movie mode seems to be a competitive but not serious move against Canon and Nikon.
    Marketing wise: The E-5 may be a good step up for those who have graduated and used the E-3 and E-30 lines. For those who are looking to increase their professional abilities, it would take a lot more from Olympus to have the Nikon and Canon users to make a camera system change.
    I think some one mentioned taking the 4/3 mount lenses and adapt them to the competitors body. I tried using Zuiko lenses on a Canon 7D and the results were not good. Soft focus of third party non-manufacturer lenses continually showed soft focus as a major issue on APS-C sensor cameras. I even tried the Zeiss 80mm Planar T* (Hasselblad) lens and was disappointed in the soft-focus problem.
    For the initial offering price of $1,699.00 (body only), this would be a hard sell for me. I could not wait for Olympus to break the 12.3 barrier and I had to make a serious decision. I still use the E-3 and E-30, but less now because I have been slowly transitioning over to the Canon 7D. I've compared the two systems, and have determined that the Canon 7D has better resolution and contrast control, and a higher dynamic range per frame.
    The price I paid for the Canon 7D body and a 18-135mm lens was less than the Olympus offering without a lens. I think the price is going to take a nose dive because of the competitions prices.

15. Well... I guess that is it then. Clearly, there is no 'professional' future in Olympus cameras.​
    The professionalism of a camera has much more to do with the person operating it than it does the hardware. Olympus has committed to producing a competitive camera that will use their existing optics but are willing to concede that it may not be a DSLR. DSLRs may just be obsolete by the time they are ready to roll out the replacement for their E-5. No point in being an alarmist.
    Years of waiting and it's basically an E3.​
    Really? Live view, remote flash triggering, 7 stop bracketing, new MOS sensor, faster processor, better weather sealing, huge 920,000 pixel tilt/swivel LCD, flash and ISO bracketing, expanded ISO, additional programable option buttons, expanded storage options, onboard HDR, HD video with manual aperture adjustment and that's just what I remember off the top of my head. I'm not sure what was expected but for those who were using previous E-series bodies, it seems like quite a step up for what I consider a very modest price increase. I know one Olympus user who almost peed their pants at the announcement.

16. Jeff, I've shot with the E-3 and E-30 for quite some time and my images, especially after post production, seem to be as good as the Nikon and Canon users within some of my photography groups in Atlanta.
    Often enough, I have seen clients select those who have the "professional" DSLRs over those using the Olympus E-series, not knowing that Olympus has good quality professional DSLR cameras.
    The newly released E-5 has some very good additional features as you pointed out and some enhancements in comparison to the E-3 and E-30. However, the "modest price increase" has to compete with the lower cost and yet feature full competitive Nikons and Canons.
    Do you think the marketing of this camera is aimed at existing Olympus users? Or, will this camera capture some of the Nikon and Canon users?
    They'll have to lower the body cost substantially for the existing Olympus users to upgrade. If I'm going to upgrade, then my question has to be, "Is it worth it?"
    I'm in a situation that caused me to now have two camera systems, the Olympus and the Canon 7D, primarily for higher dynamic range per frame and the 18 mp over the max'd out 12.3 mp of the Olympus 4/3 sensor. In addition, there is lower noise in the usage of higher ISO and the maximum ISO is 12800 as compared to the E-3 and E-30 maximum of 3200.
    Yes, the E-5 has a maximum of 6400 ISO, but we have yet to see the reviews concerning digital noise.
    A good feature would have been the ability to stitch up to 15 images so as to create pano's. Currently, I'm having to use Photoshop CS5 for the stitching/pano process.
    Had Olympus boosted the E-5 image size to 15 megapixels and increased the ISO to 12800, then this may be something to seriously look at in terms of an upgrade. But the physical size of the 4/3 sensor seems to have max'd out at 12.3 mp. In my situation, my next DSLR may be the newly released Canon 60D (18 mp) as a secondary to the Canon 7D.
    I still shoot with the Olympus DSLRs and Canon 7D during assignments...

17. I'm with Jeff, add leveler for pitch and roll (yes!), take away remote flash triggering which E-3 does have, hope for less noise and to see "the real performance of ZUIKO DIGITAL SHG lenses". The bigger LCD helps, video would be nice to have here and there. So in a few years, when "micro cameras can do what other products can" (Mark Thackara): I hope that means the glass won't be obsolete. $1,700? Maybe not right away...

18. Do you think the marketing of this camera is aimed at existing Olympus users? Or, will this camera capture some of the Nikon and Canon users?
    They'll have to lower the body cost substantially for the existing Olympus users to upgrade. If I'm going to upgrade, then my question has to be, "Is it worth it?"​
    I will venture a reply, for what it is worth, Ken, from one owner /serious amateur/ perspective.
    - Marketing?. To people who have invested in the system's lenses and don't need more than 12 good pixels.
    - Proselytize Canon and NIkon owners?. No, It won't capture some Nikon and Canon users. Sony won't get them either. Nor Pentax, who have both impressive platforms with good glass offerings.
    -Price sensitivity?. Tough call as I wish it were a few hundred less. For those who paid equivalent for the E-3 no change, and shop in this stratum not a deal maker or briker methinks. i.e If one has 3 grand or so in Olympus glass already and it adds up fast and shoots in tough weather conditions, wants good proven seals, is used to the idiosyncracies of the camera itself, Olympus users may not get huffy or persnickety about whether it is 1700 or 1500 or 1400. ( the price goes down after six months to a year. I bought my E-3 after it was already getting to be "stale" , but I paid around 1000.00 or so. And it is a great value for me.)
    The encouragement I see to 4/3 users invested in say a HG 50-200 mm and the HG 12-60mm is that Olympus Production Chief's comment to the press last year that there will always be a professional level E model is fulfilled at least this year.
    Had there been no successor to the E-3, and only a mockup, it would have been weeping and wailing. Wait, I think I still hear some weepin' and wailin'. (joke)
    If I may add this. I chuckle about clients kind of sniffing when see that one might shoot their magisterial ceremony with an Olympus E-3 or E30, Ken. A crime they should feel that way.
    I can well believe it happens too, truly ....
    When I decided to have a play at some part time weddings a while back and got to chum with some of the H.P.P. guys, a few had their camera choice on their business cards. "Shoots exclusively with Hasselblads!" Yet,as we knew the guy with the Mamiya 330 came home with the bacon as well. And recouped the costs faster.
    Yes, granted there is some elitism among the flock. About camera brands. I am beginning to notice this(wink)
    Now, if we are going to talk real serious megapixels, for mural prints and high fashion, I am betting the new Mamiya MF models and Phase One back models are going to be the top guns. Be well. No argument here. These discussions are always timely and informative. Until 3 years hence and back to the starting gate...

19. Gerry, you have some good points, and yes I've noticed the same "elitism" even among members of the photography groups in Atlanta. I overheard two gals talking, "Did you know he shoots with a Canon 5D Mark 2 (not me, but someone else)?"
    And when I showed up at some photography sessions with a Canon 7D along with the Olympus E-3, the emphasis toward me was the Canon DSLR. Others still have this view that the Olympus brand as some sort of enigma, not knowing its good qualities.
    I've shot 5-frame bracketing with the E-30 and the HDR results are just as good or better as compared to their expensive Nikons and Canon brands. And all of these images are titled along with "Olympus E-30, Zuiko 14-54mm, f/2.8 thru f/16, 1/400 sec, ISO 200, Images merged with Photoshop CS5 HDR Pro" as an example.
    Advertising on a business card, "Shoots exclusively with Olympus"... Hmmm! I think this is not too much of a marketing strategy. What I advertise on my web site and business brochure, "Member of Professional Photographers of America (PPA) and National Association of Photoshop Professionals (NAPP)." I don't mention any camera brands.
    The Olympus E-5 will have to wait... maybe when the E-7 is released, I'll consider an upgrade.
    BTW, the battery of the E-30/E-3, BLM-1 compatible with the E-5? And, is the E-5 "Made in China" as is the E-3 and E-30 models?

20. Not sure if I am depressed or not over this one.... I have used an E-520 for a couple of years. I have invested in 3 of the SHG lenses (7-14mm, 14-35mm, & 35-100mm) and also 3 of the HG lenses (12-60mm, 8mm fisheye, & 50mm Macro). <-- over the course of a year. Then I wanted to be able to control light and shoot in controlled enviroments. Keeping in Mind I am just a hobbyist. I have invested in some studio lighting and rented a building for playing. So lots of money has been spent on other things than investing in a higher end Body, and I have been waiting for all year for Olympus to release the E3 successor. I finally got tired of waiting and splashed on the E-30 in August!!!!!! Now, not even a month later the E-5 is released. Arghhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I am quite happy with my E-30 at the moment, the big thing for me was the reduction in Noise at higher ISO settings the E-30 had over the E-520. After reviewing the specs, to me it basically seems the E-5 is a E-30 in a E-3 body with a few extra bells and whistles. Although, the I am intrigued by the new processor. Because I use lightroom 2 to edit pics, but it seems the camera loses color compared to using Studio 2 software. But I have noticed a significant difference in lightroom when switching from the E-520 to the E-30. I do wish they would have gave it 1080p HD instead of 720p for video. I believe this could have been the immediate decider for pre-ordering it. It would also be interesting to see how the Noise goes with this new camera. But for the price of 1700, hmmmm.... Could be hard to justify the new purchase A MONTH after I purchased the E-30.

21. For me this is a camera for existent owners of Olympus E system. And some of new features are exactly what some people was asking to have. The same E3 with better control of noise and better Dynamic Range. Let's see if Oly got that. Video for me is useless however is the trend.
    The price is high, but for someone having most expensive Zuikos maybe not. (considering a switch to Canon for example keeping quality) I don't think Olympus will left loyal customers alone. The future,maybe the present, is for mirrorless cameras and I think they will address that change.
    In my case Olympus still is interesting, because allows me to attach old good glass of any brand. This is one of the advantages of 4/3, and m4/3 too. I think I will continue with this brand and with panasonic lenses in the future. Maybe I will switch to m4/3 if they offer good primes or at least good viewfinders to MFocus easily, despite I cannot attract women with this system according to some polls avaiblable somewhere.

22. I cannot attract women with this system according to some polls avaiblable somewhere.​
    Hah, Claudio, that is because you did not buy a red Panasonic Lumix G-1 micro 4/3.... I mean they are all over me...;-)

23. I'm still a loyal Olympus E-3 and E-30 user. Basically, the E-5 is an E-30 wrapped up in an E-3 body, given the extra processing power, an inferior 720p for video as compared to a lower priced competitor, and a few more art filters.
    Gerry Siegel wrote:
    Hah, Claudio, that is because you did not buy a red Panasonic Lumix G-1 micro 4/3.... I mean they are all over me...;-)
    You mean to say if Olympus manufatured a pink E-5 it would be a babe catcher? LOL!

24. For the record, I'm a Canon (digital) and Nikon (film) user... not Olympus. However, I've had a chance to see the E-500 in action over the last year and have been really (I mean really) impressed. Sure, much of that has to do with the photographer but the richness of the images it produces is superior to my 5D Mk I and the sharpness is equal (L glass) or better (anything else). These are two cameras from the same era but belonging to vastly different economies. The shortcomings I see in with the lesser E-series have been addressed with the E-5. I'm loyal to Canon and will one day have my 5D MkII but I would not be opposed to having an E-5 over my shoulder as a backup and it worries me that after using it, I might kick myself for wasting $3500 on the Mk II.

25. Jeff, I think the Canon DSLRs are generally a bit over-priced. I managed to bargain with the sales guy at Beach Camera and was able to acquire a new 7D and an 18-135mm EF-S Canon lens, all for $1,599.00, no tax and free shipping. Had I purchased the same in the local Atlanta market, I would have been hit with $1,699.00 for the body and another $499.00 for the same zoom lens, a total of $2,198.00. And then there's the state tax to Uncle George.
    Getting back on the subject: Yes, I agree that the E-series DSLRs are promising and can easily compete with the like models of its competitors, namely Nikon and Canon. And, like yourself, I find myself using two different systems.
    However, the Olympus 4/3 sensor of the E-5 seems to be stuck at 12.3 mp and for the price, it does not meet up with the features/specifications of the lower price of its competitors such as the 18mp of the Canon 7D. The 7D allows me to shoot sports at 8 fps and the E-30/E-5 is max'd out at 5 fps. I can shoot at a maximum of 12800 ISO with less noise than the E-series at their highest ISO.
    Don't get me wrong; the E-3 and E-30 are great for backup to the Canon 7D when shooting special events, portraits, and weddings. I did have an incident (my fault) whereby I did not format the Compact Flash memory card and the 7D gave me an E2 error and locked up after about 150 images shot. With no other memory card (again my fault) I had to resort to my Olympus E-30 as the backup.
    One of the best features of the E-3 and E-30 is the built-in Image Stabilization. I can use my legacy OM glass such as the Zuiko 55mm f/1.2 and even adapted Carl Zeiss 80mm Planar T* (Hasselblad to 4/3 adapter) and get "Tack Sharp" images. The weakness of the APS-C camera is the soft focus with the same adapted lenses.
    Outside of these two camera systems, I can still use the same Metz 45CL-4 flash and lighting system.
    Undoubtedly, there are still some shortcomings with the Olympus E-series of which I have addressed. But overall, I'm satisfied with most of the expectations of the E-3 and E-30. But at this time, I see no reason to spend $1,700 for an E-5 body. If they lower the price to the same of the current E-3 price, then there may be some consideration to make a purchase. And it would be a backup to the Canon 7D.
    Don't kick yourself quite yet...

26. I would like to point out that the E5 is releasing at the same price it's predecessor was sold for until the last about year and a half or so. Which is relatively low compared to it's competitors. I can't believe there is so much whining over the price, and not just in this thread but in others as well.
    With such a small sensor they've already maxed out pixel count. If they could fit more, I'm sure they would. I'm not going to complain though, 12.3 is more than enough. Olympus cameras are built around those sensors. They're not about to changing them anytime soon. It's part who they are and what they do, right along with their Zuiko lenses...
    I for one will be decided which kidney I can do without so that I can get my hands on the long awaited model as soon as possible. I'm more than stoked about the E5, and no one will bring me down from that. I'm a die-hard Olympus fan, and they've far from let me down on this camera. Looking forward to the day I get to have my new E5 join my E500 and OM1 family!

27. Jeff
    I can't wait to see you kicking yourself, because I know it will happen. Just be happy to know that I'll be there with my E5 to take your picture! :)

28. -if some thing I going to compare Olympus is macro 4/3 very good application and human size step in development -the lens 14-150 for good say .Everything other just to fast for trust-cocodu business try to match future in lost!

29. Lacey,
    The initial price offerrings are always high by Olympus, and I always waited for about a year to see the prices drop to a reasonable amount. Heck, there's nothing wrong in getting a used E-5 in a year of so. Why do I say "used?"
    Similar to the E-3, there are going to be a few dissatisfied users who sell early and switch to the competitor. When a new E-3 body was going for $1,200, I happened to find a used body (LN) at KEH for $989.00 and it included the entire assembly of boxed items.
    The same will happen with the E-5. The market drives the pricing. And, when the competitor currently has a model that offers the same primary features/specifications that are better at a lower price, then it's obvious... the price will soon drop to a level that makes the E-5 competitive.
    Olympus is trying to milk the cow and get the curious and highly expectant loyal Olympians to make a biased decision to purchase without reason. The loyalist purchase because it's the latest and greatest toy, whether to impress their fellow Olympians, truly make a slight upgrade, or think the video feature will suffice.
    Some people think that the 12.3 mega pixel is enough, and for most amateurs or semi-pros this is generally the case. I shoot portraits and weddings, and I find myself having to crop my images. In my case, an 18mp is needed for cropping, better resolution, less noise and larger prints. And all of this, including faster frames per second, came at a lower price.
    In the discussions within these forums, several people voiced their concerns for the next pro-level Olympus model. I expected Olympus would find a means to getting the next model up to 15 mp, eliminate some of the noise issues at the higher ISOs, and enhance other primary features. At this time, it's undetermined whether the noise issue and the resolution has been improved. I always viewed images from the E-30 (12.3mp) as better than the E-3 (10.1mp).
    Now.., is it really worth a kidney? :)

30. Yes, the person behind the camera matters, but only up to a point. I shoot a lot of sports-action photos and no amount of talent in the world will make the autofocus on my E-500 focus fast enough. The vast majority of the sports shots I took on a couple of assignments were out of focus. When I began using Canon gear (including the 70-200mm f2.8 zoom) I had virtually no shots (out of thousands) that were out of focus.

31. Ken "Max"
    Ok, that comment was a joke :) , but yes! Yes it is! For me, absolutely! I'm not a wishy washy person. I stand my ground, and I don't back down. I find what I like and I stick with it. I am a loyalist, but I am that way because of the product they produce. (And I'm not just talking cameras here.) In this case I find Olympus to be far superior for my application. As far as crop factor, I don't do a lot of that anyway. A little here and there, but nothing huge. I keep the majority of the image I shoot, not much by way of wasted space. Because of the sensor I have double the focal length that you get in the Canon, etc. And you won't catch me dead shooting a wedding. Not for me. I hate weddings with a passion. Didn't even go to my own! lol

32. Lacey, I got a good laugh about your wedding comments. I guess it's easy to say, "Either a photographer hates to shoot weddings or loves it."
    One can't really go wrong with Olympus. If I were looking for my first DSLR and have all of these OM legacy lenses, yes, I would seriously look at the E-5 as a possible purchase.
    Good luck to your next DSLR purchase and non-wedding shoots. :)

33. So far, this forum on the new Olympus E-5 seems to have two basic views.
    One, being that Olympus has produced a new pro version to take the place of the E-3 and yet has not met the needs of the semi-pro to professional level photographers. And, has offered the E-5 at a price considered to be much more than what they feel is worth the cost.
    The second basic view seems to originate from those who claim to be loyal to the Olympus name, regardless of the new features in comparison with the competitors and pricing.
    Personally, I’ll wait to see what they produce in the E-7. Until then, I will continue to use two different DSLR systems, Canon 7D for the weddings and portraits and the Olympus E-3 and E-30 for landscapes, HDR, and general purpose photography… and of course as a backup.

34. I am in a slightly different position. I am an amateur interested in nature, landscapes, macro, and occasional low light images. I do rarely print images and when I do normally not larger than A4. I use a Leica Digilux-3 (7.5 mp DSLR) and a Leica Dlux-2 (8 mp compact).
    What I am missing is a body that is splash and dust-proof and can take knocks when I go birding or take it on holidays. A must-have is good raw image quality (no softness) and crisp Jpgs (with good tonality). Image quality should be as good as the Digilux-3 including great detail capture, dynamic range, and a very acceptable noise profile.
    I would like to re-use my lenses (Oly 50-200mm SWD, 50mm f2, 7-14mm f4, Leica 25mm f1.4, Leica 14-50mm f2.8, EC20, EX25), the FL50 flash and keep using my SD cards. I would like to future-proof my lenses i.e. have a new camera body that will last long especially since I do not know what the future holds for four-third DSLRs. Will there be another FT body from Olympus?
    Just out of curiosity I held an E620 in my hands today and had some of my hand left over – my hands are not small but they are also not large and a workhorse has to sit well in ones’ hands. I am a bit concerned about this micro-FT trend towards “doll cameras”. Do not get me wrong I have nothing against a small travel camera that can produce quality images but when small-bodies become the next ‘fad’ that everyone follows I am concerned. They should be niche-products.
    Funding for a 2nd DSLR is not an issue (no divorce to be threatened :), so I could go for an E-5 or E-3 or sell all my lenses and D3 and start with a new system that includes weather-proofing and great image quality. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Michael

35. Olympus shies away from consigning Four Thirds DSLRs to history, but the firm has hinted that this may be the last Four Thirds model.

'We will continue to do these [Four Thirds cameras] until micro cameras can do what other products can,' said Olympus UK's Consumer Products marketing manager Mark Thackara.

'All cameras will be mirrorless in the future.'​
    link

36. Micro 4/3s will take over the high end 4/3? You mean to say the 4/3 DSLRs will become a dinosaur in the near future? It's a good thing I bought into the Canon 7D system. No more accessories or lenses for my E-3 and E-30; there's no need to purchase equipment for something that will be extinct in a few short years. Sheesh.
    There will have to be some major improvements to the micro4/3 such as longer battery life, faster response to the EVF for action shots, and high sequence capabilities.
    Dropping the 4/3 models in favor of the micro4/3 appears to be a divorce from the serious semi-pro and/or professional photographers.
    I hope this rumor is not true and that Olympus will produce an E-7 model.

37. I like the upgrade and if I can get my hands on this model I definately will. I'm a Canon user and I rarely shoot over 800 ISO, so noise is the least of my worries. I rather turn to the positives concerning the E5. A digital camera that you can take out in any type of weather(rain, snow, sleet, or hail) . Super Fast AF, superior lenses, live view, sensor cleaning, recirculating LCD(or whatever you call it), movie mode. Double exposure has to be one of my favorites. I don't know about the art filters, but it sure doesn't hurt to have them. This is a great camera, a nice alternative to the tired Canon and Nikon line who seem to borrow everything from Olympus.

38. Harry... check out the Canon 7D... and you'll see that it's not the standard or "tired" EOS model. That's why I didn't bother with the 50D. It has the same basic features as compared the E-5, and better video, higher resolution, more mega-pix (18), faster frames per second, and other enhanced features yet to be had on the E-5. AND all of this at a lower cost and before the E-5 was conceived.
    I waited and waited for Olympus to come out with a better resolution camera and higher mega-pix for larger prints and cropping ability... I had to come to the reality that Olympus 4/3 sensor has reached its max of 12.3 mega-pixels . The introduction of the E-5 proved this at a date beyond that of the 7D. Timing is always of the essence.
    Don't get me wrong, I still shoot with the E-3 and E-30. I love Zuiko glass. I also fell for the art filters; they're very handy in certain situations. I also adapted OM legacy lenses and my favorite Hasselblad glass to the Olympus cameras. But when I have a wedding shoot, these DSLRs become a backup to the Canon 7D. For me, the E-5 would be an expensive upgraded backup camera.
    If I did not have the E-3 and E-30, I would most likely acquire the E-5... unfortunately... I can't see this as being a good marketing design in an attempt to sway existing users to this model, unless the initial price offering substantially drops in the near future. I suspect this will happen because of Oly's competition.

39. "It has the same basic features as compared the E-5" ?
    Ken are you saying that the resolution of the E-5/E-3 is vastly inferior to that of the Canon semi-pro cameras ? Or maybe only in low light situations. Why would you want to use this camera as a backup, it has plenty of features that can enhance any wedding. That is one of the reason why I am interested in purchasing it ! Low-light, natural shots are great, but this gets tiresome after a while. Currently, I own a 30D and a 5D and I'm looking to purchase a 7D, but the real reason I want to purchase the E5 does not have much to do with resolution and low-light situations.
    I like the fact that I can take the camera in any type of weather(snow, sleet, rain, dust, heat, and cold) and not have to worry. I have often been caught in sudden rain storms where the only protection was a nearby tree(then I had to worry about the lightning) .
    I like the idea of multiple exposures and the swivel LCD. I kind a like the idea of in-camera stabilization. The in-camera filters sound like a lot of fun to me. One of them even mimics HDR ! This is the type of camera you can go out and have some fun with and not worry about pixel peeping, the weather and other nonsense.
    I got to admit the price is pretty high right now, but with just one lens(or 2), I'm talking about the 12-60mm you can handle practicaly any situation.

40. Ken
    Here's the whole quote from that link:
    Olympus shies away from consigning Four Thirds DSLRs to history, but the firm has hinted that this may be the last Four Thirds model.

'We will continue to do these [Four Thirds cameras] until micro cameras can do what other products can,' said Olympus UK's Consumer Products marketing manager Mark Thackara.

'All cameras will be mirrorless in the future.'

Olympus Europe spokeswoman Franziska Jorke cited the autofocus and burst rate of DSLRs as still being superior to Micro Four Thirds models, along with the optical viewfinders.

When challenged by AP, Olympus shrugged off the possibility that equipping all future system cameras with an EVF will alienate existing E-system DSLR users.

'At some point someone has to draw a line in the sand… We will continue to support that [E-system] until other technology catches up,' said Thackara.

Jorke predicted that the concept of a camera 'will change in 5-10 years'.

However, in a bid to reassure photo enthusiasts, she said there will always be an Olympus camera body available – whether a DSLR or another type of camera altogether – to allow users to benefit from current Four Thirds lenses.​
    They are designing a whole new camera...
    Another quote from this link:
    It's pretty important we understand exactly what the message is from Olympus at this stage. The company is not saying directly that the Olympus E-5 is the last camera it will produce that uses an optical viewfinder, and it is being pretty clear that whatever happens in the future, current E-system Four Thirds users will always have a body available that makes the most of their fine Zuiko lenses. What Mr Terada is saying, though, is that Olympus plans to do away with optical viewfinders when it thinks EVF technology is good enough.​
    The important thing to take away from this is that they are designing a new camera that still supports their current Zuiko lenses whether it be a DSLR or some new mirrorless type of camera.

41. Harry, you could get a Pentax K5 that does the same things with better IQ. And Pentax might still be in the DSLR business in 5 years, something that cannot be said for Olympus. Their SLR's have lagged behind the competition from the beginning. Olympus's future is in the EVIL market.

42. The E-5 may be a disappointment to some, but I am excited. I shoot with an E-300 and plan to keep it even if I purchase an E-5.

43. Harry, there has yet to be any official head-to-head comparisons of the Olympus E-5 to that of the Canon 7D. We do know that the sensor used in the E-5 is the same as the E-30. However there is a different post-processor in the E-5. Weather this enhances the resolution to that equal or better than that of the Canon 7D has yet to be determined.
    I purposely used the word “basic” in saying “basic features.” None of the Canon high end models use art filters and I consider this NOT a “basic feature” of any make or model. But when we compare the basic features, the Canon 7D seems to be advantageous, such as higher pix, 18 as compared to 12.3;this usually equates to better resolution and higher degree of cropping factor. This is the primary means of quality images often sought after by serious semi-pros and professionals without the so-called “pixel peeping.”
    Both DSLRs are weather proof; hence, they can be used in snow, rain, and other forms of inclement weather. One doesn't have to run to a tree to avoid the harsh weather conditions, and I'm not quite sure what you mean by the term “other nonsense.”
    The Canon 7D has faster frames per second when shooting high sequence, 8 fps as compared to the E-5's 5fps. Consequently when shoot rapid sequences such as in sports or even some wedding situations, this is a basic feature that most serious semi-pro and professionals desire.
    When it comes to the comparison of in-camera stabilization to that of in-lens stabilization, there are no differences in quality of images. I have yet to read any reviews that suggest one type of stabilization is better than the other. Unless of course you may enlighten us with some form of stabilization peeping.
    The Canon 7D, released Sept. 2009, has higher resolution in HD movie mode for those who desire to shoot video. And all of this at a lower price than the newly released Olympus E-5.
    Both the Olympus E-30 and Canon 7D have been used on the same photo assignments and seem to offer the same mount of “fun.” I have yet to figure out how to measure this “basic feature” (sarcasm).
    I'm not trying to be argumentative, but simply show that an older make and model has better “basic features” than that of the newly released E-5 and at a lower price. I find it disappointing that Olympus could not at least match the “basic features” of its competitors.

44. Jesse, moving from an E-300 to any current E-series model is an upgrade... go for it!

45. Lacey,
    Optical view finder seems to be the way to go. I've played with the EVF of the E-1 and it can't handle fast motion, great if your subject isn't moving. Olympus will have to greatly improve the EVF.
    Because the EVF uses power from the battery, it decreases battery life faster than that of the DSLRs. Again, battery charge/usage will have to become greatly improved.
    It appears that Olympus is giving up on competing against Nikon and Canon, especially the high-end DSLR cameras. And in so doing, they seem to aim their market at general purpose consumers. This also seems to resolve the move I recently made in purchasing a Canon 7D.
    I still shoot both the E-3 and E-30. I recently did some moon shots with the E-3 because it had a wire remote feature so as to stabilize the shots while mounted on a tripod and with a 120-600mm zoom. Got some great shots.

46. In terms of Pentax being around longer than Olympus, I dunno. Remember, Pentax was bought out by Hoya in 2007, primarily for the lens/glass making division, and they got a DSLR and medium format company thrown in with the deal.
    While ultimately, I have no idea what happens in Japanese corporate boardrooms, it appeared at least for awhile, Hoya was trying to sell the division, but couldn't find a buyer. Two years ago, Samsung (which sold DSLRs based off of the Pentax designs) might have been the best fit, except perhaps Samsung is Korean based, and there might some older nationalistic sentiment against selling. However, Samsung with the NX-10, NX-100 seems to be going its own way, and there is no longer the synergy between the two. More recently, I've heard that JVC or Sigma might be interested.
    Unfortunately, the only safe bet in the DSLR market is Nikon/Canon. Everybody else is single digits in terms of percentage of sales. Right now, it looks like Nikon is in ascendancy (every 10 years or so, Nikon and Canon seem to trade places on who the top dog is going to be, and Canon is losing mindshare and marketshare). One of the reasons I went for Olympus in the first place, was it wasn't one of the big two. Olympus has always been a quirky little company.

47. Michael,
    The reports that Olympus is looking to abandon DSLR future models in favor of their micro E-series seems to be a bit "quirky." It's becoming increasingly obvious that Olympus failed to meet the expectations of most semi-pros and professionals that rely on the E-3 and E-30 models. I was hoping they would introduce an E-5 with the following specifications:
    15 mega-pixels.
    HD movie mode that would compete with Canon and Nikon at 1920x1080
    Option to shoot art filters and normal mode simultaneously.
    A fast focus superzoom lens, 14-200mm, f/2.8-4.0
    HDR mode that one can preset the bracketing and EV increments
    8 frames per second or faster.
    The body made somewhere other than in China with a guarantee 150,000 shutter life span.
    Battery pack and batteries same as the E-3.
    Free RAW converter software. Currently one has to shell out $99.00 to Olympus for the software.
    I agree with you about the "safe bet" in Canon and Nikon, at least for the serious semi-profs and professionals. Regardless of percentage of sales, I think Olympus shot themselves in the foot and cannot be seriously taken as a competitor nor reliable in future 4/3 models.
    If I were a beginning professional starting out with a studio, shooting weddings, portraits, and other serious assignments, I would have to consider the report that Lacey brought to our attention and lean toward the Nikon or Canon line.
    Don't get me wrong, the Olympus E-5, in and of itself, is a good camera for an amateur or even a serious amateur. but Olympus could have made it a better camera in competing against numbers 1 and 2, whomever they are this week or month. And if this is the last of the high-end E-series DSLRs as the report indicates, then that doesn't leave any warm fuzzies for guys like me who have a photography business.

48. Optical view finder seems to be the way to go.​
    Just like internal combustion engines and plastic grocery bags seemed to be the way to go. Remember, there was a time when all airplanes had propellers and I'm certain that when someone suggested turbine propulsion folks like Ken raised their hand to voice concern. I'm not knocking the critics, we need them, but I'm the one sitting in the back, excitedly awaiting the next innovation by Olympus and others and I'll reserve my judgement until I have the chance to see it for myself.
    Don't get me wrong, the Olympus E-5, in and of itself, is a good camera for an amateur or even a serious amateur​
    Please, stop saying things like this. First of all, it's insulting and second, I know many professionals who are very successful using equipment so inferior to the E-5 that it's positively laughable. I've also seen people with far more money than talent using a 1Ds or D3x who couldn't take a decent picture if their life depended on it. My uncle is a professional photographer and he uses a view camera and an RB67... wanna guess how many frames per second those shoot? HDR? HA! Video? Right. My point is that not every professional has the same needs as Ken "Max" Parks. In fact, I would guess that if you pooled 20 professionals together and asked them what their ideal tool was, you would find that their responses were as dissimilar as their attire.
    Many of the items on your wish list are either wrong (Olympus Viewer 2, Olympus Master 2, and [ib] are either included in the box or free downloads from Olympus, they don't cost $99), or just strange... What does a superzoom lens have to do with this discussion?

49. Please, stop saying things like this. First of all, it's insulting...​
    Condescending would have been a more appropriate word there.

50. Gee whiz, Jeff, what happened? Did you fall out of the wrong side of the bed (and the bed is against the wall)? You seem to be a bit upset about my opinions and knowledge of cameras. For the most part, your inane comments have nothing or very little to do with the E-5 and/or comparisons of the same to that of other DSLRs.
    You're obviously upset because you think I'm against technological changes. There again, your comments demonstrate a severe lack of understanding when it comes to the needs and expectations of semi pros and/or professional photographers.
    You criticized me about my comment concerning optical viewfinders. If memory serves me correct, optical viewfinders are still better than EVFs as of the date of this writing. Until that technology can dramatically improve, then I guess optical viewfinders are as I previously stated, “... the way to go.”
    Your poorly constructed hypothetical analogy of my critiques compared to the technology of aircraft propulsion seems to be way off the subject matter, but then again what else can one expect from someone who has so much delusional faith and loyalty in the way Olympus does things. Try staying on the subject of the newly released E-5 and not some absurd futuristic hope that Olympus will solve/improve upon any photographic technology.
    It's quite obvious to casual Olympus E-3 users that the newly released E-5 has fallen short when it comes to expectations of the present technology used by its competitors. You would think after a three-year sabatical, Olympus would amaze us with newly developed technology. If EVF is so great, why didn't Olympus replace the optical viewfinder on the E-5 with their fantastic (sarcasm) EVF?
    If I'm being so-called “condescending” it would only be proper for those who take delight in trying desperately to make a point with little or no substance. Again, please stay on topic... remember this is a forum discussion about the newly released and highly technological Olympus E-5 (sarcasm maximus).

51. When I first purchased the Olympus E-30, it came with the Master 2 software, which does not have the ability to convert RAW to TIFF or JPEG. I called Olympus Support and was told to download the software, Studio 2 and you'lll have 30-days usage. A payment of a $99.00 purchase price after the 30-days trial would give me full rights of usage. I complained to the manager of the support department.
    Apparently, I was not the only user to complain and this became a sore spot for Olympus. Somewhere down the road, someone made the decision to offer the software, Viewer 2, (changed software name from Studio 2) for free as long as one enters their serial number of the DSLR camera.
    Thanks for the heads-up, Jeff... I downloaded it and now can easily make conversion of RAW to TIFF and JPEG without having to do so in Photoshop CS5.
    It may not be a technological enhancement but more of customer relations move.

52. Ken, your expectations fall short because you are expecting a company that does play to the popularity contest game to play. They won't do it. They are not Canon or Nikon. They're not part of "The Big Three" (automotive reference). You are trying to compare apples to oranges. The closest thing they have in common is that they are both imaging devices, fruit if you will. However each company develops their technology in a completely different manner. I think you're missing the part about Olympus designs their cameras around their lenses and sensor. You If it was possible for them to have a 15MP sensor, they would have done so. New lenses have nothing to do with new cameras. Honestly, right now you're really just come across as a whiner with an unrealistic list of wants from an uneducated company stand point.
    Gee whiz, Jeff, what happened? Did you fall out of the wrong side of the bed (and the bed is against the wall)?​
    Uh, please see your own statement:
    Again, please stay on topic... remember this is a forum discussion about the newly released and highly technological Olympus E-5 (sarcasm maximus).
    You're obviously upset because you think I'm against technological changes. There again, your comments demonstrate a severe lack of understanding when it comes to the needs and expectations of semi pros and/or professional photographers.​
    Please don't lump me, or anyone else you don't know into your ramblings. You have an idea in your head. But what you consider to be professional and good, based on your personal website and PN portfolio, I find unappealing. Everyone has opinions. Opinions are just that, opinions. Not something that is right or wrong. Remember, the term professional is NOT synonymous with perfection. I myself am a paid professional photographer and I do so with a camera I bought 4 years ago as a consumer level DLSR. I have never been happier, and I cannot wait to get my hands on an E5.
    but then again what else can one expect from someone who has so much delusional faith and loyalty in the way Olympus does things​
    Again, please do not speak on which you know nothing of. I happen to know that Jeff is a devout Canon user. And he will not likely be converting to Olympus any time in near or distant future.
    Bottom line in all of this, if you're not happy then move on. Go buy something else. To the rest of the world who does not not to buy a new camera every year because of technological evolution will mostly likely be more that pleased with what they chose to spend their money on. To each their own.
    I'm sorry if your copy of Olympus Master did not perform as is was designed to do. I do not know what software was included with the E30 as I do not own one. I can tell you this though: My copy of Olympus Master that came with my E500, bought 4 years ago, does indeed process and convert RAW and everything else the camera produces. I can also confirm that the version my father has with his newly purchased E620 also converts RAW, etc. No additional software required.
    On a closing dicussion note, I can all but guarantee that if Olympus is talking about advances in technology resulting in the extinction of "traditional" DLSRs, then everyone else is working on it as well.

53. Lacey, sorry to rock your little Olympus boat.
    You haven't updated your DSLR for 4 years? You mean to say you haven't kept up with the latest technology? Does that put you in the class of the E-500, E-510, and E-520 models (circa 2006)?
    I can see why you may consider the E-5 to be so impressive. Yes, in your case it would definitely be an upgrade.
    Hmmm??? If I'm accused of comparing apples to oranges then why do several other websites compare Olympus with other brands such as Canon and Nikon? I'm sure we'll be seeing some comparisons of the highly technologically improved E-5 to other brands in the near future.
    Eg.: http://www.camera-catalog.com/compares/popular/olympus_e-500_vs_canon_eos_400d
    You have Master 2 software that does conversion of RAW to TIFF and JPEG? That's absolutely amazing, considering it doesn't perform this wonderful feature! You might be mistaken that the new Viewer 2 software replaces both the Master 2 and Studio 2 software to perform this function.
    Olympus Viewer 2 is the new software for editing and selecting photos and movies and RAW file development. The successor to Olympus Master 2 and Olympus Studio 2 also delivers Art Filter effects for RAW development (only those Art Filter effects which are incorporated in the respective camera are able to be reproduced by the software). It offers the full range of image processing and management tools such as the Light Box and e-Portrait functions for RAW development and is also fully compatible with the latest operating systems, including Windows 7 and Mac OS X Snow Leopard.
    This was found here: http://www.olympus.co.uk/consumer/205_23092.htm
    Hmmm... your comment, “Again, please do not speak on which you know nothing of.“
    Has your Olympus boat sprung a leak?
    BTW, I don't use the Master 2 software; it seems to be a bit "quirky." I use Photoshop CS5 for RAW and all editing/enhancement functions.

54. Here's one that compares the E-3 to the Nikon D300. The Editor selected the E-3 and I concur.
    http://www.comparethebrands.com/compare/84
    Hmmm... more apples compared to oranges?

55. Ken, do not challenge what you do not know. I am aware of what software I have, you however are in complete ignorance. Do not pretend to know, you only make yourself foolish.
    Speaking for myself, and possibly many others: I was not born with a silver spoon in my mouth. I am not a spoiled child, as you make yourself seem. I work hard for what I have. I do not make those choices lightly. I do not upgrade every year for the lasted bit gimmick. What I do and why I do it is really none of your concern. Why do care? Why are you so offended? I don't give a rat's what you shoot with, why do you feel the need to attack me? I am sorry if you feel you have to try and degrade everyone around you to make yourself feel better. You have failed miserably in your attempt to flash your supposed dominance. Seems to me there might be issues here that go beyond your facade.
    Enough if enough. Let it go. I waste no more time on you.

56. You're obviously upset because you think I'm against technological changes.​
    This would suggest that I am somehow emotionally vested in this debate, I am not. I don't use Olympus, never have and most likely, never will given my investment in Canon over the years. I do however, respect the storied history of Olympus innovation and their willingness to take the road less traveled in order to make a better product and I expect this tradition of innovation to continue long after we're done debating the merits of the EVF.
    Perhaps my airplane analogy was a bit clumsy and obscure. My point was simply that there is always resistance to change, technological advancement will forever have it's critics. I wasn't necessarily saying anything about you, personally. I disagree fundamentally with your assertion that a professional is determined by the equipment he or she uses but that's simply a philosophical difference of opinion. On the other hand, I think that suggesting those who lust for the E-5 are at best "serious amateurs" is just as arrogant and condescending as if I were to call you an elitist feature-nazi, which is why I don't... You're just PN member Ken who disagrees with my assessment of the E-5 as a very viable tool for professional photographers despite the fact that it doesn't offer everything we might have hoped for.

57. There you have it... one Olympus user who has been out of the technological advancement loop for 4 years... and another non-Olympus user who's trying to defend the merits of Olympus E-5 as a viable tool for professional photographers.
    I've stated this before and simply reiterate my point. If I were a beginning professional photographer and have the option of deciding what system to start my business... researching all my options and making a sound decision, not based upon bias or loyalty, not influenced by advertisement or what other pros are using, and looking at the financial situation... the pricey Olympus E-5 would be in a distant third place.
    But it's been pointed out that I'm some sort of foolish person. spoiled child, and presumed to have been born with a silver spoon in my mouth. You couldn't be further from the truth!
    I have been fortunate during my 35+ years involved in photography, to use film cameras such as Hasselblad, Speedgraphic/Linhof, Bronica ETRSi systems, and the Voigtlander and Olympus OM-2 35mm systems. I guess this shows some age on my part. Currently, I shoot exclusively with the Olympus E-3, E-30 and Canon 7D systems, all of which have their own strong points and weak points. Past digital cameras have been the E-10, E-20N, E-500, and E-510.
    I have shot several weddings in Florida, Georgia, and one in Italy. I have been successful enough to stay on the leading edge of the photographic digital technology, including the latest in post-production software. I've worked hard. Along the way, I've experienced some bumps in the road, and things were not as easy as some might think.
    Silver spoon? No way! I've learned to persevere, work hard, and enjoy the fruits of my labor. Generally and with few exceptions, what one gets out of life is what they put into it. The same applies to photography.

58. Yes... Everyone, please listen to the guy who is the self proclaimed creator of the "MAXterpiece".

59. Yes... please do!
    That must be a compliment coming from the typing fingers of one still shooting with an E-500, a camera with an 8 mega-pixel sensor, a camera with NO image stability and a DSLR that is nearly two and one-half generations from the E-5.
    Yes, the E-5 would be a gigantic leap for the technologically impaired Olympus E-500 user. I say, "Make the jump." Heck, the last time I used my E-500 was... gee, it's been so long ago I can't remember. Even, the one generation above E-510 model was sold to a friend a while back. And the amount was eventually added to the savings/purchase of a Canon 7D.
    Yes, going from the E-500 to the E-5 is similar to upgrading from a 1975 Volkswagen Beetle to a high-performance 2011 Porche 911 Carrera GTS... lightyears ahead in technology.
    The newly released Olympus E-5, priced at $1,699, probably the last of the Olympus E-series DSLRs, with the basic technological features less than its lower priced competitors, will most likely drop in price in a year or so to about $1,200 or less. I might wait till it equals the used price of the E-500, about $250 clams... and then add it to my collectibles.

60. Here's another observation:
    The reason Olympus pushes the in-box art filter technology in the E-5 because it is aimed at those who are incapable, for whatever reason, of mastering Photoshop or Elements. I think most serious semi-pros and professionals who shoot digital are familiar with these post-processing applications and can easily duplicate the E-5 art filters without losing the original image. If not, then they will have to pay someone or fall to the wayside.
    Again, the E-5 seems to be marketed toward those who are amateurs or serious amateurs, who desire to make their images appear as if they've been Photoshoped. It's a good feature in that respect and a future conversational piece within the collectibles.

61. We keep getting off on these tangents... art filters, HD video, the future. For me, the most important aspect of any camera is the image quality. My 5D (5-year old technology) doesn't have video or art filters or built-in HDR, no in-camera frame stacking, or 7 EV bracketing, either, it's not weather sealed, weighs a ton, and has only 12.8 megapixels... It's a camera, nothing more, and it works wonderfully. Even now, after all these years, I can tell you that it's my evolving talent holding the camera back, not the other way around.
    About the E-500 and it's users you have this to say...
    Coming from... one [Ms. Hughes] still shooting with an E-500
    a camera with an 8 mega-pixel sensor
    a camera with NO image stability
    a DSLR that is nearly two and one-half generations from the E-5
    ...for the technologically impaired Olympus E-500 user.​
    Have you seen her portfolio?!
    Anyway, it should be pointed out that your so-called MAXterpiece, the one mentioned by Lacey, the one photograph on your site that has been singled out with it's own page, a clever name, and a giant copyright symbol, the one set for publication and photo contests, that very photograph was taken with the same camera that Lacey currently uses... an Olympus E-500. Of course the photos used to create your MAXterpiece were shot in auto-mode (Creative-slow speed) while I can see by looking at the data on photographs in her portfolio, Lacey prefers full-manual. This brings me back to my original contention. Good photographs are made by good photographers, not expensive cameras.
    The E-5 will be an amazing tool in the hands of a photographer like Lacey. In the hands of any photographer with the talent and imagination to exploit it's virtues and capabilities... just like you did exactly three years ago today, standing in the middle of that grassy field with your E-500.

62. That's right... the E-5 will be a great camera for Lacey. Going from an E-500 to the E-5 is a huge upgrade. There's no argument about that.
    As far as the "Weathered Truck" image is concerned: It was shot with an E-500 and shortly thereafter, I graduated up to the next Olympus generation, the E-510, which has 10 mega-pixels, image stabilization and slightly better resolution and croppiong. The E-500 was placed in a backup role and rarely used shortly after the image was taken. Wow! Three years ago? I sure have come along way in the digital equipment selection.
    I shot "Weathered Truck" in several modes, including manual, aperture pref., shutter pref., and auto. The one I happened to select was in auto mode. I chose the best possible image from nearly 200 images shot that day with variations of exposure, lenses, and composition.
    Btw, the photo, "Weathered Truck" has won an award and has been sold to a number of individuals as a digital file for their computer desktops. Several professional photographers have pointed out that it is a remarkable digital image. (patting myself on the back).
    Have you thought about placing the 5D as a backup to the 5D Mark II? I'm looking to graduate to the full frame sensor in going with the latest and greatest Canon... maybe a 5D Mark III when it becomes available. As a professionally marketed DSLR, I bet it won't have any art filters... LOL!
    I don't disagree with you about a good photographer statement... but I will add, it doesn't hurt to have the expensive professional equipment to get the best possible and well composed shot. As a good example: professional tennis players don't play with cheap store bought rackets with general usage strings. Instead, they hit with top quality rackets with the latest technological improvements and high quality synthetic gut, double strung. They hit with something that gives a better sweet spot, along with power and control. I used to play a great deal of tennis when living in Florida, and I used five rackets of the same make and model, designed by Jimmy Connors and used by several pro-tennis players including Pete Sampras. It was my selection after testing several brands and models with variations of gut and stringing procedures.
    The same applies to professional photographers who desire to achieve the highest possible resolution, with few if any limitations. The same professional photographers are usually quite adept to using post-production software applications to further enhance their images; no in-the-box art filters.
    I wish Lacey all the best in acquiring/using the newly released E-5. The E-500 will most likely stay in the bag as a backup or retired on the shelf.

63. I considered upgrading, absolutely. I lusted for the MkII for months before and after release because I'm not immune to gizmo and pixelitis. In the end, I came to the conclusion that an image is an image whether it comes from a 23MP camera or a 12.8MP camera. A conclusion helped along by the fact that I simply could not afford it. The MkII didn't really offer any improvement in image quality or ease of shooting with the exception of Live View which works great for critical focusing and when I'm laying on the ground or holding the camera over my head. In addition, like the E-5, I would have to invest additional hundreds of dollars for another battery grip and spare batteries because the MkII would not accept the ones I have for my MkI. I love the performance of my 5D, every single day. If my photographs suffer it's due to my lack of talent, not the camera.

64. That's one thing that bothers me about Canon, not having compatibility along the line of high-end models. Even the APS-C cameras require the EF-S lenses.
    The reason I decided on the Olympus E-30 over the Canon 50D was its compatibility with the E-3, same battery grip, same batteries, same line of lenses, and slight increase in resolution and cropping factor.
    I understand that the Canon 7D is compatible to the 5DMk2, but the only concern is the EF-S lenses... will they provide the same image quality for the 5DMk2? Will there be any vignetting for the full-frame sensor?
    Another things that bugs me about the newly released Olympus E-5 is the differences in batteries, battery grip and the second memory card slot will not use the xD. Olympus decided to go with the SD memory card for the secondary slot, albeit a better memory card with much higher capacity. Oh well, life is full of unexpected changes.

65. Ken "MAX" Parks:
    You are the first person I've seen that wishes the E-5 had xD. I tend to feel it is good that Olympus has finally moved away from a propritary memory card format. Given that xD is only 2GB and very slow, at least in my E-3, the only use is as an emergency backup card if I left the house without putting a CF card back in the slot. Given I can buy a class 10 8GB SD-HC card at newegg for $18 + s/h, I am not going to worry too much about my spare xD card.
    The battery difference is evidently required by a new law that goes into effect in Japan next month. The announcement says that BLM-1's will work in the E-5 and BLM-5's will work in E-3/E-30 (though it doesn't mention the E-5xx/E-3xx/E-1 bodies).

66. Michael,
    It's not so much that the E-5 should have a xD memory slot. I was taken back in the change to the SD memory card. Please refer to my last statement, "...life is full of unexpected changes." It shouldn't be taken that there was a "wish" for the slow xD format.
    You're right about the SD memory cards; they're faster and contain higher amount of memory for a very reasonable price. I used the xDs only in emergency situations such as a full CF card and had no more CF cards with me. Heck, I always have extra CF cards and never used the xD's. I bought two 16 gig CF cards (30mb/sec) for $24.99 per each at Fry's. It will handle the speed of the newer DSLR models/brands.
    I didn't realize there was a change in industry law in Japan concerning the batteries. Investigating, I found this tidbit of information on the dpreview forum:
    "As I understood the announcement of the "new" battery, it was compatible with the blm-1, but manufactured with different safety factors in order to comply with Japans new Environmental laws.
    In other words, they are interchangeable as far as where they will fit/operate, but the BLM-1 isnt manufactured any longer dur to safety constraints."
    If the above statement is true whereby the BLM-1 will no longer be manufactured, then the E-3 and E-30 users will have to acquire the BLM-5. The major change is the 1620 mAh as compared to the BLM-1 of 1500mAh; that will provide more shots per full charge. In my case, I shoot with the E-3 and E-30, allowing more shots and less batteries to carry.

67. Does anyone have any idea how much it migth cost in the UK?

68. Funny thing for me,as I took the time to read the above arguments-evolved to the argumentative stage they did, is that still I crop and am getting acceptable results with 10 meg. No, do not do 20 X 24 prints, I guess that is still a money maker. Nor double truck fashion shots for Vanity Fair. I am quirky, me, moi, quirky and glad of it in a way. Granting the use of "quirky" which is not quite what I would call Olympus products--not my E cameras anyway. Latter are,well, different, innovative, road less traveled, nice, solid, well I guess we can call that quirkyishness,... whatever...(best damn dust buster, but that is history, like what have they done for us lately, ya know..)
    Cropping capability and pixel math. I crop less with 4:3 than I used to with 2:3. I try to frame as much in the finder as I can, always have. As to EVF, I had a ball with the Lumix G-1 on a recent trip. It serves well. EVF technology has already doubled resolutions and recovery speed in the lab and will be coming soon to a micro 4/3 entry in your community...as to the speed aspect,well we read if we take the time, Olympus saying it will see if contrast detection can give the suitable speed of AF results they seek in their lineup. I am guessing that will take a while. As to comparison with other cameras of the Canon and NIkon lineage, I could care less. Why should I. Since no one who is on this forum much is here to learn the merits of starting fresh off with an Olympus vis a vis a Canon, it seems moot to argue for Canon. Not illegal though. Nor irreverant. I shot with the Canon product when it was the underdog in 1970. I could afford to add a second system,but for me, and for most that would be nonsense. (Asset allocation applies to stock market, not camera tools.) I expect my E-3 to hold me for the next 6 years. And now round out my light control goodies. I need a new Lastolite circular reflector. Lighting is the real thing to make or break the image. Hmm, I heard that one before.. and was there not something about great quality zoom lenses, oh yeah,I know, too few too late, too costly, and no red stripe..... Always something to break our hearts...aloha and happy trails, gs

69. Ken Parks: You have Master 2 software that does conversion of RAW to TIFF and JPEG? That's absolutely amazing, considering it doesn't perform this wonderful feature!​
    You are arguing unnecessarily. Master does convert from raw to tiff or jpg. I have it and used it convert to tiff or jpg on a regular basis.

70. Olympus had three years to upgrade their very popular E3 camera(please see the Amazon & B&H reviews) they almost score a perfect 10 ! Instead, they chose to incorporate the same (gee-wiz) gimmicks that Point & Shoot and other camera manufacturers have in their lower end models, including leaders such as Nikon and Canon in the hope of holding on, or increasing their market share.
    Now I have always been a big fan of Olympus cameras, because of their innovation, but the company seems to lean to unwaranted drastic and revolutionary changes rather than applying their talents(and they are talented) to products that can compete with the leaders in the industry.
    I have to agree with Ken on this one, look at a company like Leica, they would be laughed off the market if they offered things like "face detection" , "Art filters" in their top of the line "Professional" models, so would Canon and Nikon for that matter. IMHO, I think this was a desperate move for a company that shows so much promise.
    I don't mind the "Double Exposure" feature since this was offered way back in the days of film and I would certainly rather take a double exposure shot on the spot than sift through a bunch of images in Photoshop to create a composite.
    One thing Olympus does have going for it is the lenses, but currently they only offer 3 or 4 SWD lenses which limits their attractiveness. . What is the sence of advertising the fastest AF in the world if you can only offer 3-4 lenses, even if those lenses cover allot of territory ?

71. A question that needs to be answered is whether Olympus has enhanced the E-3 within the constraints of the 4/3rds sensor and have those enhancements improved image quality and provided more detail, slightly less noise considering sensor size and does this camera take better advantage of high-grade lenses? If the answer to this is 'Yes' then in my book Olympus has delivered a reasonable improvement. What is it with people's mindset these days that everything has to have a 'wow affect' rather than a sensible improvement. Plus people should be cognisant of the constraints of 4/3rd sensor technology. 4/3rd sensor based cameras (DSLR, Pen cameras) will continue to have issues with severe low light scenarios and high ISO. Pros who need to have that capability will have a tool for it. 4/3rd sensor technology-based products should leverage their strengths (m43) - size, lens technology (telecentric design), quality of lenses, and focal length conversion factor of 2. As a non-professional I have no requirement to print large and 7.5-10MP is plenty of pixels for my needs. Please correct me if I am wrong but I believe for an A4 page print one only needs 6 MP. More pixels also means slower processing, faster PC and more disk space (backups etc). I do not have an ego-problem if Olympus stops to compete with the other brands for the very specific requirements of Pro-photographers, but instead focuses its limited resourced on delivering superb consumer and advanced enthusiast models that deliver outstanding image quality supported by great lenses. In the end a camera is there to take pictures and in my mind not a video camera or a replacement for PP on a laptop - there are other devices for that purpose.This is how companies lose the plot when they forget what to focus on or when they do not leverage their strengths. Tomorrow an Olympus E620, 150mm f2 and EC-14 will join my other Olympus products. In 2011 an Olympus E-5 will join them. I fully intend to keep supporting Olympus and can even see myself using a PEN camera with my lenses (2012/13). So, Olympus please keep doing what you do best, give us more great lenses and bodies that can take advantage of those lenses. Thank you, a satisfied customer.