E5 official release

analox

<p>http://dpreview.com/previews/OlympusE5/page3.asp<br>

More news<br>

http://www.43rumors.com/continually-updated-here-it-is-the-new-e-5/<br>

My thoughts: </p>

<p>There is not much revolutionary features from Olympus in E5 then. However, if you love the Zuiko lens (like me), I still think E5 sounds appealing to Olympus users, except for the high price. E5 has pretty much what basic improvements I could ask Olympus for. At least we should wait for some sample images taken by E5 to compare with older TruPic sensor and others. Is it that image quality was why most of us choose Olympus at the beginning?</p>

<p>How's about yours?</p>

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<blockquote>

<p>'At some point someone has to draw a line in the sand… We will continue to support that [E-system] until other technology catches up,' said Thackara.</p>

<p>Jorke predicted that the concept of a camera 'will change in 5-10 years'. However, in a bid to reassure photo enthusiasts, she said there will always be an Olympus camera body available – whether a DSLR or another type of camera altogether – to allow users to benefit from current Four Thirds lenses.</p>

<p>Quote from: <a href="http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/news/Olympus_E5_The_last_Four_Thirds_DSLR_camera_news_301801.html">http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/news/Olympus_E5_The_last_Four_Thirds_DSLR_camera_news_301801.html</a></p>

</blockquote>

<p>Well... I guess that is it then. Clearly, there is no 'professional' future in Olympus cameras.</p>

<p>Where to go? Canon full frame? they can take all the OM lenses through an adapter... </p>

<p>Olympus did it before and they seem intent on doing it again - they are about to kill off the advanced amateur and pro end of their business. </p>

<p>Very sad. I am glad I resisted the urge to invest in the E-3 and can certainly see no reason to invest in the E-5. My 620 has art filters...</p>

<p>It's not that bad for non-professionals. I saw a few sample photos on the Olympus Japanese website and they look pretty good. What else do we expect? Maybe a better CMOS like the one used in GH2? And faster continuous autofocus? Or better high ISO sensitivity? I agree due to the inherited problem of small sensors, it's hard to beat APS-C in high ISO arena. However, autofocus function has a lot of room to improve. <br>

For an amateur like me, even E620 is enough. If we only look at image quality, even E-P1 is pretty good up to ISO800. The other day I posted a few test photos on a photo gear forum. Those were taken with E-P1 I just got and the 25mm f/1.4 lens (using adapter). People commented that they are of Leica quality. So I guess good lenses mean more than camera bodies, at least for not so demanding uses. The only thing that really bothers me is the price. $1700? It's crazy. I would buy an E-5 if the price drops below $1100. And that may take a couple of years, I guess. </p>

<p>Anyone who's been reading Olympus DSLR forums is so pre-conditioned that the E5 isn't going to be worth the upgrade the resulting moaning over the past few hours was a forgone conclusion once the camera did come out.</p>

<p>Time to pass out the pacifiers.....it's a camera people....if you currently own an Olympus DSLR it's better than anything you currently have. I'm all for the whiners buying a Canon or Nikon right now so you can move on to those forums.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>The point, for me, is that this will be the last E System 'pro' DSLR -- Olympus will not be going forward with anything but mirrorless cameras. Consumer targeted cameras. </p>

<p>No matter how advanced they are electronically, DSLRS, rangefinders, medium format cameras all rely on body stabilisation and viewfinders are there to help a photographer compose and create photographs. Field cameras are an exception to this rule, but they are used on a tripod or other mounting system and the image is composed and focused on ground glass.</p>

<p>Today we buy the Penn, etc. to have a highly portable alternative to a full DSLR. A lesser alternative.</p>

<p>I will switch brands before I will try to compose and shoot at arm's length for anything but snapshots. I will go back to older, less technically advanced cameras before I would do that.</p>

<p>I have been working around the noise shortcomings of the 4/3 sensor for years waiting for the day they would announce they had fixed the problem. Now they have - they have walked away from commercial and higher level photography altogether, choosing to aim at the point and shoot market instead.</p>

<p>They gave up on the SLR market when it came to auto-focus and they are doing it again now. Once again orphaning some of the best lenses ever made.</p>

<p>A very great shame </p>

<p>Well, they do have a business to run and the rapid growth of the popularity of their EVIL style cameras has probably sucked company resources away to capitalize on the revenues before all the other brands jump on and dilute market share. Seems to me the E-5 brings their flagship line up to the expectations of users who wish to continue use of the 4/3rd's format. Does it mean they are deserting the professional user? Some non-Olympus users maintain Oly never aimed at professionals because they didn't embrace the full-frame sensor, but many of us know working professionals who are maintaining their art and business using this very system. Are there limitations to the Olympus system? Sure, just as there are limitations for any photographic system but as photographers don't we stress people should focus on the image first and the tools second?</p>

<p>Let me put it another way. How much are you willing to pay Olympus to deliver the body you want that will satisfy all your needs? And what are those needs? I'm afraid I'd get a really expensive camera that does a limited number of things really well (Leica) or a Swiss-army knife camera that does lots of things but none really well. Neither fits my photography workflow or style.</p>

<p>When I need wall sized images I shoot MF film and scan at high resolution. When I want a small camera to snapshot my way around town I'll grab a point-and-shoot. My E-3 and E-510 work fine for my landscape and nature photography images at the sizes I print. Do I hope Olympus keeps paying attention to my type of photography and business? I think in their lens line they are doing so - they offer truly professional quality lenses. Now they claim their flagship body is worthy of their lenses. Let's look at some images in the future and see.</p>

<p>I have little quarrel with the offering. As Greg concludes, nothing but a miracle could have satisfied the stage door johnnies...There is no proof to some of the assertions until tests are offered. I speak of the insidious Mr Noise..who jumps out of the shadows to remind one that E system can never be a tool to keep us interested. <br /> Now, there is one new real good feature that noone has discussed yet anywhere, at least that I can tell from a quick appraisal of the chit chat places. Full time Live View in a DSLR with a conventional pentaprism for the pentaprism set...if they have beaten down the autofocus problem in that mode, (unless I misread the press release) then this is a real serious upgrade. Sure, I can quibble with multi function buttons...the movie mode and the auto focus zone together. I harumph at that choice. But don't quote me..:-) I am glad that they delivered something to keep me interested. Nice job, Oly company. Domo!</p>

<p>No reason why EVIL cannot be pro-quality -- Canon's likely to offer a m4/3rds-sized pro EVIL camera in about six months. (see canonrumors.com) Olympus' probably concentrating on an equivalent body as well.</p>

<p>BTW, 4/3rds lenses can still be used on m4/3rds bodies via an adapter.</p>

<p>Some other thoughts:<br>

1. When I hear about the improvement over the image quality, i.e., a lighter AA filter (my major concern is here) and a new, professionally-tuned TruPic V+ processor, I guess that is all the basic I want from the new E5. When I see the image samples from Olympus website, kinda "feel" the improvement there. Still, more systematic comparison to E3, D300s and 60D would be very useful. Anyway, like your PC, same case, but new CPU processor, why so disappointed? Features-wise, I agree that "Seems to me the E-5 brings their flagship line up to the expectations of users who wish to continue use of the 4/3rd's format." :)<br>

2. The statement on the future of mirrorless camera does mean no "professional" camera, doesn't it? Why not a mirrorless camera, with phase-detection fast focus, weather-proof, etc..., like the new move of Sony STL-A55? Actually, I was hoping that Olympus would be the first to introduce this...<br>

3. Amazon is selling E5 (pre-order) at 1699$. Canon 60D is sold at 1100$. I think the price should be reduce in the future, especially with the release of Nikon D7000 at 1200$. Let's hope...</p>

<blockquote>

<p>My reading of things is that Olympus is NOT abondoning the pro market.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I can't recall any company actually that was ever in the 'pro market' that made a market decision to abandon it or not support their line with a top range model to be a platform for their top lenses. Slow to market is not a fatal thing. Goodby to all who are selling off their SHG lenses and heading to C and N. Name a competitive price and we all might actually be interested. Love my ED lenses:-) gs</p>

<p >I think some of you are right; this may very well be the last of the high-end E-series camera offerings. Anyone believe there will be an E-7?</p>

<p > </p>

<p >I looked at the features and specifications. I see some strong points such as 7 frame exposure bracketing and the new on-board processor. All of this was done to enhance image dynamic range. The E-3 and E-30 allow for 5 frame exposure bracketing which produces very good quality HDR images.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >I also see some weak points such as not increasing the megapixels beyond 12.3; that appears to be the limit of 4/3 size sensor. Until there are some comparisons against the other major competitors, Nikon and Canon, within the same price range, then the subject of dynamic range is questionable.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >The additional art filters was one of my predictions of increasing the on-board basic Photoshop type image enhancements/post production tricks. The new additional movie mode seems to be a competitive but not serious move against Canon and Nikon.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >Marketing wise: The E-5 may be a good step up for those who have graduated and used the E-3 and E-30 lines. For those who are looking to increase their professional abilities, it would take a lot more from Olympus to have the Nikon and Canon users to make a camera system change.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >I think some one mentioned taking the 4/3 mount lenses and adapt them to the competitors body. I tried using Zuiko lenses on a Canon 7D and the results were not good. Soft focus of third party non-manufacturer lenses continually showed soft focus as a major issue on APS-C sensor cameras. I even tried the Zeiss 80mm Planar T* (Hasselblad) lens and was disappointed in the soft-focus problem.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >For the initial offering price of $1,699.00 (body only), this would be a hard sell for me. I could not wait for Olympus to break the 12.3 barrier and I had to make a serious decision. I still use the E-3 and E-30, but less now because I have been slowly transitioning over to the Canon 7D. I've compared the two systems, and have determined that the Canon 7D has better resolution and contrast control, and a higher dynamic range per frame.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >The price I paid for the Canon 7D body and a 18-135mm lens was less than the Olympus offering without a lens. I think the price is going to take a nose dive because of the competitions prices.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Well... I guess that is it then. Clearly, there is no 'professional' future in Olympus cameras.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>The <em>professionalism</em> of a camera has much more to do with the person operating it than it does the hardware. Olympus has committed to producing a competitive camera that will use their existing optics but are willing to concede that it <em>may</em> not be a DSLR. DSLRs may just be obsolete by the time they are ready to roll out the replacement for their E-5. No point in being an alarmist.</p>

<p> </p>

<blockquote>

<p>Years of waiting and it's basically an E3.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Really? Live view, remote flash triggering, 7 stop bracketing, new MOS sensor, faster processor, better weather sealing, huge 920,000 pixel tilt/swivel LCD, flash <em>and</em> ISO bracketing, expanded ISO, additional programable option buttons, expanded storage options, onboard HDR, HD video with manual aperture adjustment and that's just what I remember off the top of my head. I'm not sure what was expected but for those who were using previous E-series bodies, it seems like quite a step up for what I consider a very modest price increase. I know one Olympus user who almost peed their pants at the announcement.</p>

<p>Jeff, I've shot with the E-3 and E-30 for quite some time and my images, especially after post production, seem to be as good as the Nikon and Canon users within some of my photography groups in Atlanta.</p>

<p>Often enough, I have seen clients select those who have the "professional" DSLRs over those using the Olympus E-series, not knowing that Olympus has good quality professional DSLR cameras.</p>

<p>The newly released E-5 has some very good additional features as you pointed out and some enhancements in comparison to the E-3 and E-30. However, the "modest price increase" has to compete with the lower cost and yet feature full competitive Nikons and Canons.</p>

<p>Do you think the marketing of this camera is aimed at existing Olympus users? Or, will this camera capture some of the Nikon and Canon users?</p>

<p>They'll have to lower the body cost substantially for the existing Olympus users to upgrade. If I'm going to upgrade, then my question has to be, "Is it worth it?"</p>

<p>I'm in a situation that caused me to now have two camera systems, the Olympus and the Canon 7D, primarily for higher dynamic range per frame and the 18 mp over the max'd out 12.3 mp of the Olympus 4/3 sensor. In addition, there is lower noise in the usage of higher ISO and the maximum ISO is 12800 as compared to the E-3 and E-30 maximum of 3200.</p>

<p>Yes, the E-5 has a maximum of 6400 ISO, but we have yet to see the reviews concerning digital noise.</p>

<p>A good feature would have been the ability to stitch up to 15 images so as to create pano's. Currently, I'm having to use Photoshop CS5 for the stitching/pano process.</p>

<p>Had Olympus boosted the E-5 image size to 15 megapixels and increased the ISO to 12800, then this may be something to seriously look at in terms of an upgrade. But the physical size of the 4/3 sensor seems to have max'd out at 12.3 mp. In my situation, my next DSLR may be the newly released Canon 60D (18 mp) as a secondary to the Canon 7D.</p>

<p>I still shoot with the Olympus DSLRs and Canon 7D during assignments...</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I'm with Jeff, add leveler for pitch and roll (yes!), take away remote flash triggering which E-3 does have, hope for less noise and to see "the real performance of ZUIKO DIGITAL SHG lenses". The bigger LCD helps, video would be nice to have here and there. So in a few years, when "micro cameras can do what other products can" (Mark Thackara): I hope that means the glass won't be obsolete. $1,700? Maybe not right away...</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Do you think the marketing of this camera is aimed at existing Olympus users? Or, will this camera capture some of the Nikon and Canon users?<br /> They'll have to lower the body cost substantially for the existing Olympus users to upgrade. If I'm going to upgrade, then my question has to be, "Is it worth it?"</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I will venture a reply, for what it is worth, Ken, from one owner /serious amateur/ perspective.<br /> - Marketing?. To people who have invested in the system's lenses and don't need more than 12 good pixels.<br /> - Proselytize Canon and NIkon owners?. No, It won't capture some Nikon and Canon users. Sony won't get them either. Nor Pentax, who have both impressive platforms with good glass offerings.<br /> -Price sensitivity?. Tough call as I wish it were a few hundred less. For those who paid equivalent for the E-3 no change, and shop in this stratum not a deal maker or briker methinks. i.e If one has 3 grand or so in Olympus glass already and it adds up fast and shoots in tough weather conditions, wants good proven seals, is used to the idiosyncracies of the camera itself, Olympus users may not get huffy or persnickety about whether it is 1700 or 1500 or 1400. ( the price goes down after six months to a year. I bought my E-3 after it was already getting to be "stale" , but I paid around 1000.00 or so. And it is a great value for me.)<br /> The encouragement I see to 4/3 users invested in say a HG 50-200 mm and the HG 12-60mm is that Olympus Production Chief's comment to the press last year that there will always be a professional level E model is fulfilled at least this year. <br /> Had there been no successor to the E-3, and only a mockup, it would have been weeping and wailing. Wait, I think I still hear some weepin' and wailin'. (joke)<br /> If I may add this. I chuckle about clients kind of sniffing when see that one might shoot their magisterial ceremony with an Olympus E-3 or E30, Ken. A crime they should feel that way.<br>

I can well believe it happens too, truly ....<br>

When I decided to have a play at some part time weddings a while back and got to chum with some of the H.P.P. guys, a few had their camera choice on their business cards. "Shoots exclusively with Hasselblads!" Yet,as we knew the guy with the Mamiya 330 came home with the bacon as well. And recouped the costs faster. <br /> Yes, granted there is some elitism among the flock. About camera brands. I am beginning to notice this(wink)<br /> Now, if we are going to talk real <strong>serious</strong> megapixels, for mural prints and high fashion, I am betting the new Mamiya MF models and Phase One back models are going to be the top guns. Be well. No argument here. These discussions are always timely and informative. Until 3 years hence and back to the starting gate...</p>

<p>Gerry, you have some good points, and yes I've noticed the same "elitism" even among members of the photography groups in Atlanta. I overheard two gals talking, "Did you know he shoots with a Canon 5D Mark 2 (not me, but someone else)?"</p>

<p>And when I showed up at some photography sessions with a Canon 7D along with the Olympus E-3, the emphasis toward me was the Canon DSLR. Others still have this view that the Olympus brand as some sort of enigma, not knowing its good qualities.</p>

<p>I've shot 5-frame bracketing with the E-30 and the HDR results are just as good or better as compared to their expensive Nikons and Canon brands. And all of these images are titled along with "Olympus E-30, Zuiko 14-54mm, f/2.8 thru f/16, 1/400 sec, ISO 200, Images merged with Photoshop CS5 HDR Pro" as an example.</p>

<p>Advertising on a business card, "Shoots exclusively with Olympus"... Hmmm! I think this is not too much of a marketing strategy. What I advertise on my web site and business brochure, "Member of Professional Photographers of America (PPA) and National Association of Photoshop Professionals (NAPP)." I don't mention any camera brands.</p>

<p>The Olympus E-5 will have to wait... maybe when the E-7 is released, I'll consider an upgrade.</p>

<p>BTW, the battery of the E-30/E-3, BLM-1 compatible with the E-5? And, is the E-5 "Made in China" as is the E-3 and E-30 models?</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Not sure if I am depressed or not over this one.... I have used an E-520 for a couple of years. I have invested in 3 of the SHG lenses (7-14mm, 14-35mm, & 35-100mm) and also 3 of the HG lenses (12-60mm, 8mm fisheye, & 50mm Macro). <-- over the course of a year. Then I wanted to be able to control light and shoot in controlled enviroments. Keeping in Mind I am just a hobbyist. I have invested in some studio lighting and rented a building for playing. So lots of money has been spent on other things than investing in a higher end Body, and I have been waiting for all year for Olympus to release the E3 successor. I finally got tired of waiting and splashed on the E-30 in August!!!!!! Now, not even a month later the E-5 is released. Arghhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!<br>

I am quite happy with my E-30 at the moment, the big thing for me was the reduction in Noise at higher ISO settings the E-30 had over the E-520. After reviewing the specs, to me it basically seems the E-5 is a E-30 in a E-3 body with a few extra bells and whistles. Although, the I am intrigued by the new processor. Because I use lightroom 2 to edit pics, but it seems the camera loses color compared to using Studio 2 software. But I have noticed a significant difference in lightroom when switching from the E-520 to the E-30. I do wish they would have gave it 1080p HD instead of 720p for video. I believe this could have been the immediate decider for pre-ordering it. It would also be interesting to see how the Noise goes with this new camera. But for the price of 1700, hmmmm.... Could be hard to justify the new purchase A MONTH after I purchased the E-30.</p>

<p>For me this is a camera for existent owners of Olympus E system. And some of new features are exactly what some people was asking to have. The same E3 with better control of noise and better Dynamic Range. Let's see if Oly got that. Video for me is useless however is the trend.<br>

The price is high, but for someone having most expensive Zuikos maybe not. (considering a switch to Canon for example keeping quality) I don't think Olympus will left loyal customers alone. The future,maybe the present, is for mirrorless cameras and I think they will address that change.<br>

In my case Olympus still is interesting, because allows me to attach old good glass of any brand. This is one of the advantages of 4/3, and m4/3 too. I think I will continue with this brand and with panasonic lenses in the future. Maybe I will switch to m4/3 if they offer good primes or at least good viewfinders to MFocus easily, despite I cannot attract women with this system according to some polls avaiblable somewhere.</p>

<p>I'm still a loyal Olympus E-3 and E-30 user. Basically, the E-5 is an E-30 wrapped up in an E-3 body, given the extra processing power, an inferior 720p for video as compared to a lower priced competitor, and a few more art filters.</p>

<p>Gerry Siegel wrote:<br /><em>Hah, Claudio, that is because you did not buy a red Panasonic Lumix G-1 micro 4/3.... I mean they are all over me...;-)</em></p>

<p>You mean to say if Olympus manufatured a pink E-5 it would be a babe catcher? LOL!<br>

<em><br /></em></p>

<p>For the record, I'm a Canon (digital) and Nikon (film) user... not Olympus. However, I've had a chance to see the E-500 in action over the last year and have been really (I mean <em>really</em>) impressed. Sure, much of that has to do with the photographer but the richness of the images it produces is superior to my 5D Mk I and the sharpness is equal (L glass) or better (anything else). These are two cameras from the same era but belonging to vastly different economies. The shortcomings I see in with the lesser E-series have been addressed with the E-5. I'm loyal to Canon and will one day have my 5D MkII but I would not be opposed to having an E-5 over my shoulder as a backup and it worries me that after using it, I might kick myself for wasting $3500 on the Mk II.</p>