E41 filter and OLLUX/12522 hood

Dealers and eBay are about it. The OLLUX hood is rare and expensive, probably at least $ 300-400. The E41 filter should be easier to find, not common but not rare either. Try finding the correct lenscap that goes with the first version chrome 35/1.4 Summilux, its rarer than the lens or lenshood. Good luck. You might try the Leicashop.at in Vienna, they tend to accumulate items like the ones you are seeking.

It seems that the general tone of this forum is determined by its denizens who seem to be predominently users as contrasted to collectors. However, it isn't difficult to detect a certain amount of fondling among many who profess scorn for the collectors. A true 'user', it would seem, would not be concerned about the 'correct' accessory; and would be satisfied with any such item that would fit securely and properly perform the task. Quite often this isn't the case, and the correct item is demanded, irrespective of its going price which is usuallyy determined by the demands of the purist collectors. Ultimately, I suppose the 'user' will have to accept the substitute item purely out of necessity, and bear the shame of being 'non-correct'.

The E41 filter (UVa) is rarer than the hood. Beleve me, I have three of the OLLUX hoods and

only ONE E41 UVa filter.

scan ebay, the hoods come up from time to time. and if you are really lucky, a filter may

come up also. but dont hold your breathe

Not sure what's up with some of the posts here. The first version Summilux 35mm has a unique method of attaching the hood. There is no one on the planet who has ever made a hood that will fit that lens. Other than Leitz, of course, but if we're going to eschew the Leitz hood to avoid having epithets like "fondler" hurled around here, I guess Karl is out of luck. Pity, I'd have thought that looking for the hood designed by the manufacturer of the lens was a reasonable thing to do.

John, the lens cap for that lens is a cheap looking plastic cap (you are right, it's not chrome), but it was made solely for this lens and is very rare. I have never seen one offered for sale, probably if a dealer had one, he would save it for the lens. I have the same lens but am missing the cap. One thing you can do is if you find an E41 filter, you can put the filter on the lens and put a chrome lenscap over the filter. The 50/1.5 Summarit cap should fit perfectly over the filter.

BTW, the Slux 35/1.4 chrome first version is a very uncommon lens in M3 version with eyes and even less common in the M2 version without the eyes. These lens used to be considered a user, but since collectors have seized on them, the prices have been driven up. As a user, the later regular black 35/1.4 Summilux is considerably cheaper and probably better. (The early chrome 35/1.4's are said to be much more flare prone).

• 1 year later...

09/02/03

Karl --

Since you posted your question more than a year ago, I don't know whether you're still interested, but there is a 41 mm OLLUX lens shade for a Leica 35mm f/1.4 Summilux currently advertised on eBay, item # 170022621263 The listing expires on the afternoon of Sunday September 3, 2006, so check it out promptly if you receive this. I'm in the US, and don't have anything to do with the seller, who is in the UK. Just trying to be helpful.

-- Pete