E100VS: characteristic

I will be shooting some E100VS for the very first time in the

Maldives. I have never use this film before and I was wondering what

are the characteristic for this film.

How do I bring out the best of this film? How forgiving is this

film? Latitude, etc.

Thank you.

High contrast, quite unforgiving. It does strange things to colors in early and late light and I find it unpredictable. Fairly grainy for a 100 speed slide film. It can produce some spectacular, if surreal results.

Use it in low contrast light and watch your exposures the way you would with Velvia 50 and you will be fine. +1 for highlights and only expect details to -1 in the shadows is pretty much how I meter the scene when using it. Or, try it in high contrast scenes and play with light and shadows.

Personally I wouldn't recommend it for a trip, but if you just feel like experimenting then have fun!

All the data from all curves are identical to EBX film, so I trust it is the same film only the pro version is fridged and made to be used quickly

So, before you buy some of this film, try EBX and see if you like it.

I can't confirm that they are identical because I haven't used VS, but all the data is identical in charts including grain, MTF, characteristics etc. But I can tell you a few things about EBX.

It has a lot of contrast, skintones are very red. Colors are indeed saturated but useless for shooting people under natural light (better under flash) Good for shooting skies, green nature, and stuff like that. Grain is 11 RMS

On the other hand I CAN confirm that EB-2 (much much better film than EBX) is identical to E100G and E100GX both to human eye and in measuring charts. It's just that color balance is warmer tha E100G and cooler than E100GX

<p>The search feature says there are 79 hits for E100VS on this site. Surely some of them might be relevant.</p>

<p>I liked E100VS, other than the grain. I typically used slide film for things like shooting at the zoo, where a little more "pop" in the images is not a bad thing and skin tones are not a consideration.</p>

<p>The E100G family is a newer generation of films than E100VS, which is the hyper-saturated brother of the E100G family's predecessor, the E100S family. Kodak hasn't seen fit to replace E100VS with a newer generation, at least not yet (only Kodak knows whether they plan to do so).</p>