Hi

I went to buy some E100G, but they didn't have any so I took some E100GX, to try

it out, but I never used it, so I'd like to ask you what should I expect..

I know it's supose to be like E100G, but warmer, but what I want to know is how

warmer.

Sharpness and grain are not a problem, because I'm using it in 120, so what I

want to know is about color.

Is it any good for nature? How are the greens, flowers etc.?

Is it still too warm in overcast? Does it "kill" the colder shades of green?

thanks

It is warmer only in the shadows. The upper half of the tonal scale remains neutral. It just takes the cool blue edge off of shadows outside, which is what they really look like, but our brains correct the color temperature. It avoids the "Ektachrome blue" look outdoors.

For studio lighting, E100G is the choice, but E100GX is very nice outdoors.

The entire speed range of E100GX is warmer than E100G. Thomas is right regarding the color balance shift. J. Shriver is wrong. I've corrected him a number of times in this forum, and have gone as far as having Kodak update the characteristic curves in the technical publication.

The slight yellow-red shift will enhance greens and many outdoor tones. The warmer colors also contribute the the *apparent* boost in saturation. The film was designed for nature photography and can be used in either sun, overcast, or shade with very successful results. I don't feel that it kills the colder shades of green (blue-green). Everything stays balanced relative to the other colors, so you will still observe good tonal separation.

I've never found it to be too warm, ever. In fact, I generally prefer the balance of E100GX over E100G.

I indeed stand humbly corrected. I see Kodak published a new E-4024 in September 2005, with vastly different curves for E100G. E100G and E100GX are now specified to be very close indeed. Perhaps the red curve diverges from the others a little less into the shadows, but the big difference is that E100G is bluer than E100GX.

I presume we agree that E100GX is the preferred film to use outdoors? I came to the E100 family after trying a roll of Kodachrome 64 (after shooting C-41 film for about 10 years), and was refreshed by the clarity and accuracy of the colors. But E100G was still a bit chilly, and E100GX didn't have that problem.

I've read from people here who don't like the color balance of E100GX. But it corresponds to how my brain interprets color temperatures outdoors.

I have seen a very small difference between the two films. The regular Elite Chrome 100 (EB?) is very neutral and very good. It also costs less. If you are going to scan the slides to make prints then I don't know how much difference you will see once editing corrections have been made.

Yes, E100GX will have the same excellent color separation and tonal gradations as E100G. The only difference you should observe is the warmer color balance, which also lends to the *perception* of slight increase in saturation over E100G.

• 2 weeks later...

Just like Dan said - same as 100G just slightly warmer - that subtle warmth is ever so subtle and lovely.

I just can't decide if I prefer it to 100G - I think I do.

I was a Velvia and Provia fan until I tried GX while searching for a natural colour tone with subtle warmth - bingo 100GX is THE film.

Enjoy it.

I love the 100GX too. It's a newer generation from Provia, which was my favorite until I tried the 100GX. Also, highlights are much better controlled than with Provia, I saw that test on a website and can confirm it from my own testing. Now the old Provia is test film only, and the GX is the serious film. I have 60 rolls in the freezer (all given to me for free!). It will last for years at the rate I shoot film.

Dave