E100GX Discontinued

<p>Today I emailed Kodak Professional to check the status of E100GX and Elite Chrome 100 and I recieved this email back<br /></p>

Quote:

<table border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="4" width="100%">

<tbody>

<tr>

<td >

<p>Hello Patrick,<br>

Yes, the Kodak Professional Ektachrome E100GX Film, catalog number 114-1191 was discontinued due to lack of demand. As an alternative, you might use a Kodak Wratten Gelatin #81A Filter with the Kodak Professional Ektachrome E100G Film, catalog #188-4576.<br /><br />The Kodak Elite Chrome 100 Film, however, has not been discontinued and is in inventory for your dealer to order for you if they do not have it in stock.<br /><br />Hope this helps. Please let us know if we may be of future assistance.<br /><br />Sincerely,<br /><br />Peter V.<br />Kodak Professional<br />Technical Support<br />800-242-2424 ext. 19</p>

</td>

</tr>

</tbody>

</table>

<p>Yet another choice taken off the board. I know we thought it was on and off from what we saw at B&H but it's now confirmed</p>

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>Not entirely surprising. With the discontinuance of KR64 and now E200 in 120, about all they've got left is ISO 100 (EPY the exception), and did they really need so many flavors of it? Between E100G, GX, and VS it probably makes the most sense to knock out the one in the middle and keep the extremes. I'm kind of surprised EPP didn't go first though; is there still a niche for that I'm not aware of?</p>

<p>Ah yes...the Kodak double speak. Gotta love it.<br>

One day a film is safe and you can be assured its still in production.<br>

And literally the very next day, the film has low sales volume and has been axed.</p>

<p>I thought after that secret meeting about the discontinuance of Kodachrome we were told that Kodak is committed to film...???</p>

<p>Of course what is strange is that Elite Chrome is pretty much the same film. Maybe the last (getting old) master rolls of E100GX will be sold as Elite Chrome. (Then they will discontinue Elite Chrome.)<br>

I guess I need to buy some 81A filters, as the "Ektachrome blues" of E100G outdoors is just enough to bug me. While it's accurate to the "truth" of the lighting, it isn't what our eyes see.<br>

I'm surprised EPN went before EPP. That's because EPN has special sensitization with no IR sensitivity, making it better for catalog photography. I suspect that there's still catalog publishing press paths calibrated for EPN and EPP, so they live on. They are both quite grainy compared to the E-series Ektachromes.<br>

Just more sad confirmation of the coming fate of all E-6 films...</p>

<p>This is heartbreaking news for me. E100GX was my "go to" film for shooting canyons, waterfalls, and winter landscapes. It had just the right mix for the kind of work I do. The warming filter solution is, in my opinion, not a viable one.<br>

I guess all good things come to an end, but it seems the life of this particular emulsion was cut short.</p>

<p>From the data sheets there is no difference between the E100GX and Elitechrome 100 emulsion. I have always thougt Elitechrome 100 is the amateur version of E100GX. I have used both, and I was not able to see a difference in the colors.<br>

Using Elitechrome 100 instead or E100G with a Skylight 1B or slight warm filter seem to be very good alternatives.</p>

<p>So then what is the difference between E100GX and Elitechrome? (Besides the $2.) Is it like Intel chips where the ones that test the highest get the highest model numbers? Do stores keep E100GX in a refrigerator but not Elitechrome? Different grain characteristics or archive longevity?</p>

<p>I cannot find an official announcement from Kodak stating they have discontinued E100GX or E200. I sent Kodak an email as well, but have not hear back yet. A call to Kodak's Professional Imaging division resulted in an automated message stating they would be unable to answer calls Thursday July 30 and Friday July 31.</p>

<p>When I called my local Calumet Photo, the salesperson told me he was looking at a fridge full of E100GX, E200, etc. and that as far as he knew it had NOT been discontinued. However, a search on the Calumet Photo US website returned only a single result for E100GX - in 35mm format (135-36).</p>

<p>Adorama appears to have it in stock. I was unable to get through to their sales line but may try again.</p>

<p>Re: E200:</p>

<p>http://www.apug.org/forums/forum172/63774-elitechrome-availability-3.html</p>

<p>http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-medium-format-645-6x7-645d/66951-kodak-discontinues-e200.html</p>

<p>It's certainly possible that it's all just another mixup, like times in the past when Kodak discontinues a part number for a certain form of packaging and people mistake that to mean the product itself is cancelled. But E200/120 has disappeared from B&H and Freestyle listings.</p>

<p>Here's what appears to be the case:<br>

- E200 is definitely discontinued in 120. UK Kodak reps are reporting that production has ceased in 135, too.</p>

<p>- E100GX has definitely been discontinued in all formats.</p>

<p>Of course, you still might be able to find both films in 135 and 120 depending upon whether retailers have exhausted their stocks yet or whether Kodak distributors can still fulfill retail orders.</p>

<p>They're not taking calls because they're probably having another "secret meeting" where they'll drop the bomb that E100G, E100VS, 100 Plus and 64T are going to be discontinued.<br>

But they want to let industry leaders know that they're still committed to film, so they will recommend UltraMax 800 as a possible replacement.</p>

<p>Don't laugh...anything's possible with this group of brainiacs heading Kodak.</p>

<p>Craig, no laughing here - I read the stock announcements yesterday. Another disappointing quarter for big K.</p>

<p>They're apparently no longer using <strong>their own sensors</strong> in the digital compacts, and have pretty much given away Leaf to Phase One. Makes you wonder if they are trying to re-invent themselves as a strictly IP/Technology company.</p>

<p>IF in fact they are pulling the plug on E-6, makes you wonder why they're also pulling out of the CCD/CMOS biz, since didn't digital sensor technology kill off the 1-hour mini lab?</p>

<p> I'm really going insane. Few weeks ago Kodachrome, now another great one (announced at last minute) E-GX. Let's face it fellow Photo.Netter film users, Kodak and the digital world are NUKING us off the face of the planet! They are determining the future of photography - not us!</p>