E-TTL II compatibility with Sigma lens

jennea

I'm about to go digital (for real this time) and have a hopefully

quick question for you all. Is the Sigma 24-70mm 2.8EX lens for

Canon compatible with the E-TTL II ability of the Canon 580EX flash?

I'm going to get a 30D very soon and am figuring out my lens

situation (I already have the Sigma lens). Thanks in advance for

your help. J

Since it is the camera body that has ETTL II, the answer to your question (at least, on the surface) would be yes, the lens is compatible with ETTL II and the 580EX. However, Sigma lenses have had compatibility problems with Canon bodies in the past (not always specifically the flash implementation). I haven't heard of that particular lens having any problems with Canon bodies or with the flash implemenation. I have heard of the Sigma 18-50 f2.8 having an initial problem with focus assist on Canon 20D bodies only, but that was fixed in subsequent production.

<p><i>"Since it is the camera body that has ETTL II, the answer to your question (at least, on the surface) would be yes, the lens is compatible with ETTL II and the 580EX."</i></p>

<p>In order to use E-TTL II, not only do the camera and flash have to support it, the lens must support it as well, in that it must transmit distance information to the body.</p>

<p><a href="http://www.pbase.com/fstopjojo/2470">This page</a> has a letter from a Sigma rep, which says the following:</p>

<p>"Thank you for your inquiry.

24-70mm F2.8 relays distance information with ETTL-II information with the camera and Speedlite. "</p>

When Sigma lenses are released, they work with all of the current hardware. When Canon upgraded and changed the communcication protocol between the lens and camera, Sigma was great about re-chipping their older lenses. Fast service/turn-around, and it was completely FREE.

It seems like every time Sigma lenses come up, "compatibility" issues are raised. Sigma had a fundamental flaw with their older lenses, which they've corrected. Based on my own personal experience, I would NOT be afraid of compatibility issues in the future. Even if something did "break" a Sigma lens, I'm sure they would provide the same quick free upgrade service they have provided in the past.

Here's my experience of the way they handled correcting the problem:

- For the ones that could be fixed/upgraded, they provided this service for free. Didn't matter if it was in warranty or out. You had to pay a couple of bucks to ship it to them, but they upgraded it and sent it back for free.

- For the ones that couldn't be upgraded, they offerred an upgrade credit. They would credit you on the upgrade and you could keep your old lens (Yes, that's right--this wasn't a buy-back program, it was an owner loyalty program). Granted, this is still (a lot) more money than if the old lens simply worked, but all in all, a fairly generous offer from them.

OK, enough of my rant... I just feel like Sigma gets a bad rap in the present for something that happened in the past and has been generously corrected. All of that being said, I'm currently only buying Sigma when there not a similar Canon lens available. If the Sigma 24-70 2.8 just had HSM it might have been another story!

Have fun with the 30D!

• 3 weeks later...