E-PL1 lens

<p>I bought this body at a bargain price with the intent of using some of my manual lenses with adaptors. The adaptors worked fine but focusing with the screen posed problems for me. I would appreciate suggestions for AF lenses that might work with this body so I can get some use out of it. Of course, like many, I want great performance at a modest price? What I am looking for is a walk-around lens. Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks.</p>

<p>Instead of a lens, get a VF-2 viewfinder. It will help greatly with focusing your manual lenses.<br /><br />If you are dead set on a lens, get one of the Olympus primes to start with, whichever focal length suits best your shooting style. If you need a zoom in the wide to normal range, start with the 14-42, it is a decent lens.</p>

Primes at a moderate price would mean the Panasonic 14MM f2.5 (which seems to be sold new on ebay for under $200), the Panny 20mm f1.7, and the Oly 45mm f1.8. The Oly 14 - 42 is decent, tiny, and should not cost very much. I use the VF-3 on my E-PL2 and it has transformed the camera. Could not imagine trying to focus manual lenses on the back screen.

<p>To over come this focusing problem I gather Oly introduced a magnification process of the image though I have not found it on my 'cheap' E-PL1 :-(<br>

I also wasted as much on the VF-3 which to somebody used to integral EVFs is horrible, though the concept of it plugging into the camera and reading what the sensor sees is great. So used to AF that I find MF strange, possible, just, but not a path I really want to go down. [working with my f/1.4 Takumar lens ]<br>

I am afraid I sometimes play with my Oly, trying to work out how it operates, but for serious photography I use my Panasonics :-)</p>

<p>I used my E-PL2 withot a viewfinder for almost a year and was very happy with the results. I have collected hundreds of images on flickr with such a setup using manual lenses. You should use the manual focusing aids, by zooming in the image. With native lenses you can set this to happen automatically when you rotate the focusing ring. It is still tricky to photograph moving subjects, but you should have no problem with static ones. So give it a try.</p>

Don't all Olympus M43 bodies correct barrel distortion in JPEG? Here's a quote from photozone.de: "Micro 4/3 JPEGs as well as RAWs converted via standard RAW converters such as Photoshop apply an auto-correction of distortions... The corrected images have a maximum distortion of about 1.7% at 14mm, less so at other focal lengths." [14-42 M.Zuiko test]

<p>I use a variety of manual lenses with my EPL-1, as well as the 17mm and the 14-42mm zoom. You simply hit the magnify button on the right side on the back to do critical focusing when shooting manually. I have a Kern-Palliard Switar 75mm movie camera lens that is outstanding for many subjects. Howver, the 14-42 zoom works very well:</p>

<p><a title="mosquito falls by mfophotos, on Flickr" href=" mosquito falls src="http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7262/8152831874_6ec26e6f68_z.jpg" alt="mosquito falls" width="640" height="429" /></a></p>

Thanks to all for taking the time to respond to my query. Several have indicated that the kit zoom is quite good. Is the Olympus M.Zuiko 14-42mm II f/3.5-5.6 compatible with the E-PL1 or should I look for the original version? I have seen mixed opinions. Thanks again for the help.

<p>All Micro 4/3rds lenses are compatible with all Micro 4/3rds cameras. The 14-42 Mark II version of the lens is reportedly better than the original and faster, even on the E-PL1.</p>

<p>Further information about the Mark II version of the lens on the E-PL2 review:</p>

<p>http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympusepl2</p>

<blockquote>

<p><strong>It is worth noting that E-PL1 users will see a significant leap in AF performance from the new 14-42mm II</strong>. With the new lens mounted, we found that AF acquisition is typically around 0.2secs faster than when using the original kit zoom. This amounts to an increase in AF speed of almost 30% in some circumstances - a substantial boost.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>(emphasis mine)</p>

<p>If cost is an issue it's better than nothing - you'll just have to rely on your talent to make great images. Note, though, that Olympus will throw in this lens as part of a kit for $50 extra over body only. I wouldn't pay more than that. Often you'll find them as new on ebay or craigslist for good prices from people who have bought the kit but are selling the lens in favour of a better one.</p>