E-1 RAW Files

dankapsner

I was surprised to get 10.2 MB raw files from a 5 MP camera. Raw files from my 1D(4 MP) run under 4MB,

from the 10D (6 MP) around 6 MP and often under, and from the 20D (8.2 MP) 8MB or less. Olympus says

it doesn't compress raw files, yet on their website gives a 7.4 MB file size for raw. 10.2 MB simply isn't an

efficient use of my card and hard drive space, and it eats up a ton of gold CDs to archive a shoot. My

thought is to convert to DNG files--which I believe will be smaller--in Adobe Lightroom. Has anyone

done this, and if so, how was the result?

Thanks! Dan Kapsner

Rainer, Thanks for the suggestion. That is possible, but my camera is set for raw only. I did

check the manual, and it states the size for a raw file as 10.2 MB; I guess the other figure on

the website was a mistake, or possibly I misread it. Still, the potential solution is to convert

to DNG files, and I'd appreciate hearing from anyone with experience in this.

Dan

I use an E-1 and an E-300 for weddings.

With the E-1, my RAW file size is 10.17MB. After conversion to Jpeg with CS2, the file size is 14.1MB. I just checked this on the photo below from a Jan. 6, 2007 wedding I photographed in San Francisco, both on my RAW file and my Jpeg file of that wedding.

My enlargements know no limits!

I see no reason to use any other equipment.

I tried an Adobe DNG converter tonight. ( I'd forgotten I'd downloaded before the end of

the year.) It converted 16 ORF files quickly into DNG files that are half the size of the 10.2

MB originals. As I suspected, the files are considerably smaller, though the converted files

varied in size and ranged from 5.7 MB to 4 MB. Most were in the range of 4.5 MB. While

it's another step in the process, it does free up some hard drive space and cuts down on

the humongous number of CDs required to archive RAW files with this camera. I suppose

I'll have to test a bit with DNG and ORF files to make sure I'm happy with the converted

results, but so far they look okay. The DNG converter is available free at www.adobe.com.

Best regards, Dan

Hi Dan, I have been converting them to DNG for sometime now and have closely examined the same image from both file formats when converted and they are exactly the same when processed either in Adobe Photoshops CS2 raw developer or Silkypix Raw Developer(my Fav) so I would not worry.

Another advantage to me of using DNG is that the Dam Program I use can write all the copyright/keyword/caption and other info into the Raw file so it stays with it and saves me having to do all over again when/if i convert it to another file format.

Paul