E-1 at Two Weeks and Counting...

OCULUS New York

Hi All,

I hope, if we keep talking about E-1s here, we might attract some

interest. Since I have had mine for probably 600 frames or so, I

thought I'd make some notes for anyone interested, or considering one.

1. Foremost, it is Oly down deep: well made, comfortable, familiar

and reassuring to operate. If you thought they were solid before,

wait till you close a cover or turn a knob on this magnesium alloy,

gasketed "splash/dust" resisitant body. It's thoroughly "thunk."

2. Initially, I had resolution concerns with it, but now, after

advice from others in the DP Review Forum, I have cranked up the in-

cam sharpening to +3 (out of 5) and it has come around nicely. This

may sound harsh, but it is apparently what Oly had in mind when they

recently updated the firmware...which leads me to my next point.

3. I thought it very cool to download an upgrade! On my first night

with it, I downloaded upgrades for the Viewer Software, two firmware

upgrades for the camera, and, get this: one firmware upgrade for each

of my LENSES. That last is worth repeating: firmware upgrades for

LENSES! Wow.

4. It is FAST and efficient. It really is like shooting film, and

the standard battery pack seems to be good forever. This last point

is significant, but probably not unique to Oly; everybodies'

batteries seem to be lasting a lot longer than even a couple of years

ago.

5. After hefting the lenses on a friend's new D70, I am beginning to

appreciate the four-thirds design. Handling the 50-200 is like

handling a 135, as opposed to the 400 equivalent that it is. Plus,

being arithmatically deficient, 2x equivalents are a lot easier to

figure than 1.6 or whatever. And the ergonomics are MUCH nicer.

6. I love having the Nikonians and Canoneers steal side glances at it

at press events. They don't dare ask...pity.

Since I bought it, I read that Oly reduced their official prices in

May to $1499 for the body and similarly for the lenses. Plus, they

are offering a variable rebate on all lenses through the end of this

month. In sum, now, for under $2000, you should be able to secure

what would have cost much more near $3000, just last Christmas.

And last, I should mention that the new Lexar 1 gig 80X WA CFC is a

screamer. You really don't notice writing anymore.

In sum, it is lightyears ahead of my C2500L, which I guess I shall

now offer for sale; and even decades ahead of the E-10 we have at

work. If you're the least bit interested, I urge you to look

carefully, especially before the end of the month. You should be

able to get an outfit for about $1700 (minus $50-100 lens rebates)

from several online, authorized dealers.

Feel free to pose any specific concerns.

Cheers,

Ray Hull<div>008mu9-18693284.jpg.c39a92360566647b7e5040d98d393948.jpg</div>

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ONY, I sell E-1s and I really like my Oly rep and want to see food on his table. Further, the E-1 has swell ergonomics and optics.

That having been said, the E-1 has a dinky, low-megapixel sensor. The focus speed on the lenses is so-so. And of course Oly dropped the prices on the system- the body, lenses and flashes were absurdly overpriced.

I shoot Nikon, but I work part-time for a camera store and sell pretty much all the DSLRs- so I don't get into the this-or-that-brand-sucks wars. I look forward to Olympus following up the E-1 with some great DSLRs with prices, resolution and features that have something to do with the reality of the marketplace.

Nothing personal Eric, but what is your point? You fault them for high offering prices, and then for reducing them. Last I noticed, to get the "features" you think Oly lacks (e.g. magnesium body, water and dust resistance) in a Nikon or a Canon, you had to double my price tag--old or new. And at what price do they offer "dinky" sensor cleaning?

You must be one of those wall mural shooters. I don't need any more than 5.5 megapixels/14 Meg files for my point and shoot work, and neither do pros who seem to know what they are doing with the E-1 and get up to 16x24 frames. The PJs I encounter, dragging around those 8, 11, 14 mp things sure are wasting energy for low-res newspaper work.

But then, my Rolleis and Leica come into play when I have to work in your mural range.

Happy shooting...

Ray Hull

I've had my E-1 since January, and it could not be a more positive experience.

No dust spots yet, we have had 2 meaningful firmware upgrades already, the lens quality continues to impress me, the 11-22 in particular is outstanding among wide zooms, and it seems a lot more photographers have embraced the system as an alternative.

If Olympus sticks to their lens "roadmap", that will tell us more about the future of this system than all the opinions we've see on the various camera web forums combined.

I don't fault Oly for dropping its prices from insane to absurd. Oly had to drop prices because sales of the E-1 system were awful.

I do fault Oly for bringing out a small-sensored, 5MP DSLR at a time when other companies were bringing out larger-chipped 6MP DSLRs. Not only does the E-1 have less inherent resolution and more noise because of its tiny chip, it also has less resolution being a 5MP camera rather than a 6MP camera.

Given the choice between paying $1,500 for a Nikon D100 with mediocre resolution and crappy build quality and paying $1,500 for an E-1 with lousy resolution, but superior body construction, I gotta go with the Nikon. Image quality matters most.

I've had ZERO dust probelms with my D100s. The D100 is plasticy, has a terrible finder and a slow 1/125th flash sync speed- but I'm not retouching dust.<div>008nOZ-18706084.JPG.a3db8587f4383a161748c829bf00b527.JPG</div>

Thanks for the insight Ray. I'm seriously considering one of

these for a near-term purchase (along with a 10D and D70, I

might add.) I've long been a fan Oly's design aesthetic, from the

OM1 to the Stylus. Also, the E-1's build quality is certainly a step

above the Canon and 2 steps above the Nikon.

I have nagging image quality doubts, however. I also have a

nagging doubt that my nagging doubts are a result of prejudiced

reviewers and marketing.

Made any big prints yet? How is the AF speed and accuracy?

I've had my E-1 since February, and I find I love it more every time I break it out. The ergonomics, size, image quality, and the very solid feel are just what I wanted in a camera. This camera was quite an investment for me, I'm an E5 in the Navy so I don't make a lot of cash, but I feel it was deffinitly worth it.

I'm shooting at a level where I really take advantage of all the features the E-1 offers, and I've started a business on the side to help support my photographic habit. I print with a Canon i9900 printer on Ilford papers and the quality really impresses people. To give you an idea of what I shoot: I've done night shots of Waikiki beach, 4th of July fireworks over Pearl Harbor, lanscape shots of the Hawaiian islands, flowers, birds, etc at sizes up to 13x19" without quality issues. I even took a shot I made for a Marine unit over to the imaging center where we printed it on the big machines at wall size, and it still looked good.

One of the Photoshop CS books I have suggested a trick I use for making all of my big prints, which basically involves upsizing in 10% increments, I can give you guys the low down on that and the name of the book if your interested. I don't know why the trick works as well as it does, and neither did the author, but it does. Anyway, I know some people think that a bigger sensor must be better, but my

E-1 does the job, and does it well.

Thats my humble opinion.

Later guys, Nathan Hahn

I am tired of arguments saying a small no of pixels is enough, and more is of no use. If more pixels is not on the expense of quality (noise etc), isn't it better? At least I can have more freedom in chopping my photos to suit my need and do not have to worry about quality of prints.

"do fault Oly for small-sensored.... E-1...tiny chip....also has less resolution... E-1 with lousy resolution... Image quality matters most."

Yes image quality does matter most, and resolution is only one part of it.

The "tiny chip" isn't really much smaller at all.

Comparing the Kodak KAF-5101CE 4/3 sensor to say the APS sized sensor of the 10D, we see that the Canon CMOS has a size advantage of only 1.6mm in the verticle dimension, and 4.7mm in the horizontal. So most of the size differential in comparison to APS sized sensors is due to the aspect ratio, 4/3 vs 3/2.

Compared to the current APS sized sensors the Kodak 4/3 sensor has much more resistance to blowing the highlights, retains highlight detail much better, has far more accurate color due to superior auto white balance of the E-1, and in it's rated ISO 100-800 range noise isn't a problem at all and certainly cleans up very easily with processing like NeatImage. Much more easily than trying to adjust color after the fact, one reason many users have switched to the Olympus, to decrease post processing time. The accurate metering of the E-1 compliments the performance of the Kodak sensor very well.

Edwin

Edwin,

Of course you are so right. The above "size is everything" blather is just that. You'll note, despite his "expertise" and fascination with MP count, that there is no mention of Kodak or Sinar or any of the REAL big MP machines.

Just another Nikon guy reassuring himself that he's wearing the right label. Better watch out though, in the "pro" market, Canon is eating their lunch.

Cheers,

Ray Hull

Oculus (a whispering campaigner, perhaps?) wrote

<p>

<i>

I thought it very cool to download an upgrade! On my first night with it, I downloaded upgrades for the Viewer Software, two firmware upgrades for the camera, and, get this: one firmware upgrade for each of my LENSES. </i>

<p>

It would be even cooler if the thing didn't need an upgrade. And even less cool for those of us who don't happen to possess a copy of Microsoft's latest Windows. The dpreview site, and the pages on the Olympus site it points to, give the impression that the upgrade is done by running a propram supplied by Olympus that runs only under XP. What if the poor sod trying to use the camera has a Macintosh or Linux machine? (The only machine I have with USB 2 on it is a laptop running Linux.)

<p>

I thought the accepted way of doing this was to plop a file on the flash card - any modern OS can do that - and tell the camera to flash from it.

<p>

If the E1 really is tied to XP, its lifetime is that of Microsoft's support commitment for Windows, That is something reasonable like 5-7 years for self-support via downloads. But 5 years is not an acceptable life for a camera. I remind everyone that today's binaries will probably not run in 5 years' time, whatever OS you choose.

Frank, I can assure you with total certainty that the upgrade works great on a Mac through firewire.

I used to be a Linux guy myself (I was a big fan of the Enlightenment window manager), but it just never was the thing for digital photography, they might have the color management thing down now, but didn't when I used it.

I've been using SLRs since 1973, and I'm a huge fan of Nikon, (I still have every piece of Nikon equipment I ever bought), and I was going to buy the D2h and some AF lens, but I really didn't need that much camera but I did "need" weather sealing. The E-1 with it's D2h like weather sealing and construction, as well as more resolution was perfect for me. Like everyone else, I am anxious to see the D2x, I doubt I'll buy one, but you never know.

Edwin

Frank, I use only Mac computers. I have an aging 500 Mhz G4 Powerbook, and an 800

Mhz 17" iMac, both running OSX 10.3.4. I dont even use internet Explorer, I use a Mac

program called Safari. The E-1 doesn't mind my Mac enviroment at all, and several Mac

programs such as iPhoto are plug and play with the E-1 (not that I use anything but

Photoshop CS but I have tried them). I also completed the updates without any issues. I'm

not trying to say one is better than the other (Win vs. Mac) because I wouldn't touch that

issue if my life depended on it. I'm only saying that in MY experience the E-1 and Mac

machines/software work well together.

Later,

Nathan Hahn

Edwin, you are quite right, and in fact if I look at the download page

on the English-language section of the Japanese site <a

href="www.olympus.co.jp/en/support/imsg/digicamera/software/#PATCH">here</a>

they support Windows 2000 and Mac Panther.

<p>

But the way they have you update the firmware is to first upgrade a

utility program on the Windows/Mac machine, and then run that to

upgrade the firmware in the camera. I find this unacceptable in a

couple of ways:

<ul>

<li>You have to be online with an account privileged enough to alter

software on your computer, furthermore allowing an untrusted program

(the Olympus software itself) to do that. </li>

<li>You have to have an unrelated piece of equipment, viz. a computer

with a particular piece of software on it, to have a manufacturing

defect in you camera fixed. A camera system costs roughly what a small

car does, and General Motors doesn't tell me I have to own

Windows/Macintosh or whatever to get the latest engine control

firmware. Instead, it's probably put there when next I get the car

serviced. If the camera <i>needs</i> repair to its firmware, then it

ought to be available free at the dealer by dropping it off for the

day.</li>

</ul>

<p>

Finally, I note that Linux is not supported. This isn't so much a

concern to me because I want to use Linux - I could put a USB card in

the Windows 2000 machine, and Linux's problems with colour management are

not quite solved yet - but because it means

possible driver problems down the track should the E-1 not prove as

popular as perhaps it deserves to. It has happened time and time again

with computer peripherals which use undocumented non-standard protocols

become doorstops.

<p>

Personally, I will <i>not</i> buy a camera which is not supported on

<i>all three</i> platforms, with sample implementations (preferably

Linux ones) available in open source for the camera's protocol and RAW

format. If the camera companies think their software offerings are

adding value, they're kidding themselves.

"But the way they have you update the firmware is to first upgrade a utility program on the Windows/Mac machine"

The program is the imaging software that comes with the camera for Windows or Mac.

"You have to have an unrelated piece of equipment, viz. a computer with a particular piece of software on it"

How many people are going to drop 2 grand on a digital camera and not use it with a computer. Admittedly, the E-1 is one camera you can sucessfully print right off the CF card, but not many users will forgo the computer.

"to have a manufacturing defect in you camera fixed"

"If the camera needs repair to its firmware"

There is no manufacturing defect to fix (unlike many other DSLR bodies that have been released), and the firmware upgrades are not repairs, but "upgrades".

"Linux's problems with colour management are not quite solved yet"

That is unfortunate, but I feel for uses like digital photography Linux will only get farther and farther behind. Heck, I was never even able to get the scanner access to work reliably, but I had no interest in becoming a Linux expert, just a user. I even ran a dual boot Linux-Windows machine and used Linux for all I could, but Windows and Mac just got better and better.

Can Linux now read NFTS partitions?

Edwin, No I have not, however that is next on my list. If you have it, I'd appreciate your comment. I have second thoughts, as it is so near to the 14-54, but I saw a comparo of full wide vs full wide on DP Review, and it obviously picks up another 20% or so. But for $700, the 14-54 can surely make do for the moment. I may jump before the rebate runs out, but otherwise, not in a real hurry.

I do my landscapes, architecture, etc. with Rolleiflex 6003 and 40mm Distagon or 55 PCS. Also have fisheyes and wides for my 35s.

Ray

Ray, if the 11-22 is indicative of the coming "pro" zooms from Olympus, we're in fine shape.

Sharpness is excellent, better than the 14-54 at equivalent focal lengths, distortion at the wide end is surprisingly low, you really have to look hard to find CA cause it's usually not there at all, contrast and color are spot on, and the useability factor of a 11-22 zoom is pretty good.

Edwin<div>008oms-18731284.jpg.170a89cb4408a0e2aaf39fa913c000f9.jpg</div>

Ray, as I've repeatedly mentioned, Nikon and I aren't going steady. If all my Nikon stuff was stolen tomorrow, I'd buy Canon.

If I shot photos in a studio, I might well buy one of the Kodak FF DSLRs. I don't shoot in a studio, I have customers with DCS-14ns and I've been put off by the camera's color rendition outdoors.

MF and LF cameras with digital backs are simply too little bang for huge bucks- at least for my purposes. If I know I'm going to enlarge to 11x14 or more, I'll shoot Mamiya 7IIs and scan the negs.

You are correct to recognize there is a "'pro' market" and then there is the Olympus E-1. I don't know anyone who would buy an E-1 to shoot professionally.

Another poster alluded to being burned and I'll put a finer point on his remarks. The Oly E-1 promises to be part of a system- but is currently part of a limited grouping of overpriced pieces.

The last "system" Oly brought to market was the 35mm autofocus system in 1986 (Oly OM 77/707). Like the E-1, the 77/707 was odd, overpriced and was not particularly well-supported by Olympus. After a few years, Oly dumped the system and left a lot of loyal Oly customers screwed. Frankly, I wouldn't buy into any new Oly system for several years until I was sure Olympus was not going to fold its tent due to low sales numbers.

Hi Ray. I bought an E1!!! Thought you would like to know. It won't be here until next week, but I'll post a few beach shots as soon as I get it. You and your insights have proven to be very helpful. Espcically since we're both Leica shooters! By the way the sharpening definitely helped that photo, I didn't see any of the moire that DPreview made such a fuss about.

Congrats John, but I'd rather you not put it all on me! Seriously, I think you'll be pleased. I took some time yesterday to do some A/B tripod shots, right in the back yard, of a stone wall and a new section of board fence, mostly in shade, but with slashes of early afernoon sun. All I can say is that my previous concerns about mushiness apparently can be attributed directly to camera shake. These were dead-on, required only unsharp mask processing (in Raw, tiff, SHQ jpg) because I am conservative in my in-camera +3 setting.

The grain of the board fence slats is equally impressive, especially given brilliant sun in foreground, but with the fence shaded. Will be interested in your experimentation, but please, don't overexpose it to salt air...no matter how well sealed!

Cheers,

Ray<div>008pbQ-18752884.thumb.jpg.898b7491750b43a8f0dbe99ac48cae28.jpg</div>

My responses to previously unanswered comments:

Chris Carroll: I find the AF very fast and extremely accurate. The only hunting I encountered was trying to shoot the Metropolitan (nee Goodyear) blimp as he motored overhead with my right-out-of-the-box 50-200 mounted, without any upgrades. I did not have AF set to Continuous, so I switched it off, and successfully grabbed his departure. (Interestingly: "manual" by-wire focus is limited to maybe 40 degrees of ring rotation, tops)

Let's put it this way: I don't see how it could be any faster, and with the 1.2 firmware upgrade, you now can choose left, right, center areas of the screen markings for concentration. I do plan to buy the owner-installable grid focus screen, just because I worry about horizons...a lot. On the Leica Forum, I'm known as the Perspective Police ;->

John Kissane: You're throwing a pretty wide net there by saying "ALL others burned.." (your emphasis). For the record, I have used Oly digital equipment since my first foray into it with a C-2500L, 5 years ago. And far from being "burned" by the corporation, I find their Factory Tech service superb, and will note that they are still selling scientific/health kit C-2500 Ls on their own auction site, 5+ years after intro.

So, I don't know what generation you are describing, but not unlike somebody who's bought anything high tech in the past decade, be prepared, obsolescence happens...but if its obsolescence due to market hesitancy to adopt clearly improved standards over the ordinary, I have no quarrel at being left behind, since I think I do more research and am more value-conscious than the average "market" guy. If it's quality, I usually feel as though I have gotten my money's worth.

Cheers,

Ray Hull

I am looking with great interest at the Olympus system. Thanks for the comments. There have been little enough informed user comments on the system, especially here on photo.net. I think it is a leap of faith to get into any new system. I can imagine a bank exec,Stanley Steamer owner, snorting to young Henry Ford: "A bare bones car like that 4 cylinder model T? How do expect to sell it without an installed user base of people who know how to drive, and are ready to add on a garage to their homes. Has no luggage room on the roof. And no mechanics out there to fix them. Never catch on." I exaggerate way much,but leave us recall that Olympus had a successful run with the innovative OM serie, the Pen series,and the very nice C series. The decision to go with this form factor four thirds is contoversial. And the decision to re enter the market against the big two is controversial. (On the other hand, I like to follow a different road,bought Canon F-1 when Nikon F was the big guy in 1971.) And I love the feel of that body and the quality of the lens. For two grand,it is competitive in its kit form,in my eyes,though not a throwaway purchase of course. I mean when one looks at Canon high end glass vs the 15-54 Zuiko lens everybody raves about. Now,Eric has a point,its not always smart to buy model 1. There are always bugs in the first year. But I am tempted. Really tempted. A solid piece of gear that feels just great. Wish I could rent one for a week. GS