DxO buys Nik from Google

Dont you love it when the rich kids (Google) get bored with their toys? Works with cameras too. Every time a new shiny toy comes out, the dilettantes sell their largely unused gear at a loss. I've acquired several low-shutter count cameras from KEH that way. DxO will probably run with NIK and bring it up to speed, especially for output sharpening.

This is certainly good news! Even though NIK is set up to run on a 64 bit environment--I have cause for worry as both MS and Adobe run the double edged sword of regular "updates." I know that Mac users have expressed terminal concerns with the advent of High Sierra and beyond.

Yes, I think that eventually it will go back to a version leasing model. I paid somewhere around $100 for it a number of years back, and then damned if six months later it was being given away, and I was outside of the refund window. :mad:

The last version I downloaded was back in February, and exists as nikcollection-full-1.2.11 . exe. Before I hand off an email to yet one more marketer (DxO), does anyone have any info on whether their 'free' download is any higher than this? I have my doubts as google essentially walked away from the collection when they used what tech they needed for their rubbish photo app for idiots... :rolleyes:

"I See Things..."

The FotoFora Community Experience [Link]

A new community for creative photographers.  Come join us!

Must have happened some time ago already since DxO just released DxO PhotoLab (which replaces DxO Optics Pro) and which already incorporates the Nik U-Point technology that DxO apparently acquired the Nik Collection for: Overview | DxO.com

Should be good news for those who got stuck on Capture NX2 - now there is again an up-to-date software that uses the Nik U-Point technology.

• Like 1