DX wide zooms for infrared?

Discussion in 'Nikon' started by oskar_ojala, Apr 19, 2008.

1. Does anyone here use DX wide zoom (e.g. Nikon 12-24/4, Sigma 10-20, Tokina
    12-24...) for infrared photography? I'm a bit interested how these lenses would
    work for such use. Bjørn seems to think that the Nikon 12-24/4 is otherwise ok
    for IR, except that i has a hot-spot problem.

2. Oskar
    Hot spots are a big problem with IR and some lenses.

3. I use a Sigma 10-20 lens with my IR D80 - it works fine, except for the focus issue - I have to bracket the focusing when shooting, which works fine, once you edit through the volume!

4. The actual combination camera/lens/filtration should be tested in practice. All components participate in the potential problems of IR hot spots. There are so many combinations that it's impossible to test all of them.

There are only few lenses that not tend towards IR hot spots with any camera tested so far. Some lenses can work well with a weak IR filter, but not with a denser one.

5. I have a Nikon D100 body converted to infrared. I successfully used the 12-24 Nikkor without much of a hot spot. A terrific lens for infrared in my opinion is the Nikkor 17-35 f/2.8... that is what stays mounted on my infrared body. Best wishes, Britt