DVI output from computer to HDMI input monitor

<p>I purchased a U2414h dell monitor, which has input ports for HDMI while my older HP computer has two DVI ports for output. I have an old dvi to dvi cable connector, so should I get a female dvi adapter to Hdmi adapter to plug into the monitor , or buy a new adapter cable with direct dvi male to hdmi to plug into monitor? Will the 'gold-plated' adapter/connectors make a difference in image quality?</p>

<p>Gold is an excellent conductor and does not corrode like other materials. A non gold plated cable will probably start causing noise in the display image after a few years where a gold plated terminal cable may never cause a problem.<br>

Myself I would go with a new cable with the proper ends to minimize the number of connections.</p>

<p>First of all, for digital signals, gold doesn't offer significant benefits. Second, mating gold with non-gold is definitely a bad idea. It has to be the same material at each connection. There is plenty of information about the problems with tin-to-gold connections on the internet. So ignore any advice to use gold unless you have gold connectors on the equipment also. </p>

<p>Jeff please post links to lab type testing that supports your claim. I'm a retired electronics technician. I have encountered numerous problems with tin-tin connectors and never had a problem with gold-tin connectors.</p>

<p>I would not pay an extra $10+ for gold plated cables in a retail store but online the cost difference is $5 or less in many cases which is where I buy my cables. Cheap cable are just that, cheap cables. Quality cables at lower than retail store prices just don't have the store overhead added in.</p>

<p>Going with the gold. Interestingly enough, I found ONLY gold plated adapters for sale on the major electronics online stores for HDMI and DVI. The only tin connectors were for the older VGA. Yes, the price was only a few dollars more for the comparable gold. I'd imagine there must be some advantage to the gold plated variety if the brand name and generics have abandoned the tin variety.</p>

<p>For the last 20 years I've used both tin and gold and never had an issue with either. The monitors died before the cables did under normal use.</p>

<p>At work (where I was the head of the IT Department) when we had a cable issue it was due to either abuse by the user yanking on them like they were hoisting a sail on a boat or the wrong DVI/HDMI connector. </p>

<p>Thank you for the links. Refining my search term resulted in better than chat room comment links. I found this one interesting http://www.hindawi.com/journals/at/2012/893145/ .<br>

My experienced failures have been with audio equipment and automotive. In one automotive application I applied electrically conductive grease to the PCM contacts which improved the vehicle's operation.<br>

I will continue to use gold plated cables when their costs is close to non gold plated cables.</p>