Dust particles on filter

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by canwewin, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Hello,

I have a question about filters.
    Will little dust particles on the filter surface affect quality?
    I mean, will those dust particles appear on the negative?
    What about little scratches?

Thank you in advance
    L.

2. No to dust and minor scratches. Scrubbing away maniacally at lenses and filters is unnecessary. Ever hear of "cleaning marks?"

3. I think the only thing to worry about is 'blobs' - e.g. if you've accidentally spilled a blob of ice cream onto your lens/filter. Yes I did that last year and took several photos before I noticed - the effect on the print was an area that appeared slightly darker than the rest, but surprising didn't seem to be out of focus and was easily corrected.

4. "Little scratches" may show on a negative. It depends on the scratch, the location of the scratch and the angle of the light hitting the scratch and what aperture is used.

5. just stop cleaning your lenses so much, if you are. minor dust particles, on most lenses (oh, a 14 or something, if at all) will not affect IQ...plus, it makes one look like an idiot
    best, K

6. Thanks everyone for the replies.
    BTW I barely clean lenses or filters, I just use an air bulb.
    L.

7. They should not have any appreciable effect unless the filter is filthy. The longer the focal length of the lens, the less effect they will have. I keep Hoya multicoated filters on all my lenses except my 16mm f/2.8 fisheye and 600mm f/4 (one is built in) Nikkors because replacing a filter is a whole less expensive then replacing a front element