Dust inside a lens

NLsafari

First I want to thank all participants of this forum who helped me fixed the lens diaphragm problem of my Canon 300/2.8 FD Fluorite. My question now pertains to dust inside the lens. Does dust inside a lens significantly increases the possibility/risk for mold to grow? I noticed that my 300 Fluorite has accumulated some dust inside and have been wondering if I should send the lens for cleaning?

This is not the same lens that had the shutter problem.

Raphael

My understanding is that fungus relates more to the environment in which the lens is used and/or stored. In humid climates and storage environments the likelihood that fungus will take hold, is far greater than those in drier conditions. I've not read, nor heard that fungus will start based on dust accumulation.
  • Like 1

My understanding is that fungus relates more to the environment in which the lens is used and/or stored. In humid climates and storage environments the likelihood that fungus will take hold, is far greater than those in drier conditions. I've not read, nor heard that fungus will start based on dust accumulation.

The lens is kept in a plastic bag to prevent fungus. I was not sure if there was a relationship between dust and fungus that is why I posed the question.

Hmm. I've never been keen on the idea of keeping lenses in plastic bags. It's surely possible that the plastic will retain any moisture in the air, which is the main driver for fungus along with warm temperature - unless you are very careful to exclude moisture, probably with silica gel bags. I prefer to keep lenses cool, dry and well ventilated.

Dust can be composed of many elements, including, most likey, mold spores. As long as you keep the lens in a low relative humidity environment, those spores either won't proliferate or will only do so at a very slow rate.

• 2 weeks later...
All lenses have some dust. If you can't see dust your flashlight isn't bright enough or you're not using a magnifier. Never heard of it being a starting point for mold/fungus. I like to expose my lenses to some bright sunlight every now and then as it discourages fungus.

Things get pretty murky. If the glass absorbs UV, and it does at some point, do you ever even need a UV filter? What wavelengths are unfriendly to fungus? Does it have to be hard UV at 270 nm, or is just bright white light enough. Need a biologist!