Dust in Viewfinder

Sohaib Siddique

<p>Most dust in the viewfinder is on the underside of the focus screen, pushed there by the use of zoom lenses pumping dusty air in and out of the camera as they are zoomed. If the dust spot is large, you may even be able to see it by eye and if so, the use of a rocket blower into the mirror box (with the lens opening facing downwards) will most likely dislodge it. Don't touch the screen, nor use canned air as the surface of the screen is soft and will mark easily.</p>

<p>(Wouter has been faster than I... :)<br /> (BTW, just to add that most called zoom lenses are actually <em>varifocal</em> lenses, as they don`t keep focus along the range... but anyway, we all know what manufacturer`s mean when they say "zoom").</p>

<p>Yes, dust spots on plastic screens are irritating. It is so easy to damage the surface or even to add more dust while cleaning...<br>

Usual low quality blowers are not so effective to my taste; you`d need a really powerful and directional small air stream.</p>

<p>The only place you can see dust, if present, is at the focal plane - the screen or the bottom of the prism. The screen can be easily removed. It's in a metal frame hinged at the back and latched in the front. Press in lightly, and it will drop down. I'm sure someone has a YouTube video showing how it's done.</p>

<p>Using a blower can easily force dust between the screen and the prism. Carried to extremes, dust can be forced between the cover filter and the sensor. That calls for a factory replacement or repair.</p>