Dust in my lens

Discussion in 'Canon EOS' started by ron_brown|6, Jan 12, 2014.

1. I have a 70-200mm f4 IS and I noticed a couple of pieces of dust inside. Is there any way for me to clean this myself, and if not, can it be done professionally.

2. Uh-oh, specks of dust? You should probably disassemble the lens in your clean room and thoroughly clean it, then reassemble. Don't forget to use your optical bench to align all the lens elements correctly, and relubricate the zoom and focus paths.
    Seriously though, yeah, don't worry about it unless you've packed enough dust in there to specifically impact your shooting. Number of lenses I own with dust in them? ALL, Number of lenses who's images are affected by that dust? NONE.

3. You can see the dust because the lens of your eye is focusing on the dust. But the lens containing
    the dust will never focus closer than 20cm, nevermind internally within the lens. Therefore the dust
    is so out of focus in you lens that it will cause completely insignificant circles of confusion in your
    photos due to it's small size.

Only worry about the dust on your sensor or on your subject, because that is where the focusing is.

4. Short answer is that a few specks of dust are normal - virtually all lenses have them - and that they have no effect on your photographs.

5. "Dust in my lens"
    Is't that a popular song?

6. "all we are is dust in the lens... Oooooohh ohhh oh"
    I agree, worry not about the specks. Should you see Jimmy Hoffa between elements, then it's time to investigate...