Durst 606

joseph_lacapruccia

35 years ago? I should have said 45 years ago. I bought it in Cambridge, Mass. at Lechmere Sales, a consumer discount house that has since gone out of business. It was a good enlarger and I got a lot of use out of it. Some called it the "dirty Durst" because the glass negative carrier tended to attract a lot of dust. I haven't used that enlarger in years, but I still have it with the lenses, etc. out in my studio, boxed up.

An enlarger doesn't "process" anything; it prints. But yes you can print color with the 606 or virutally any other englarger. You just need a set of color filters. These can go under the lens but I think the 606 had a filter drawer above the lens, probably simply sitting on top of the condenser. With filters, you manually put together the appropriate filtration combination. Not as convenient as dialing it in on a color head but it works. Images might be somewhat more contrasty with a condensor rather than a diffusion chamber but you might be able to put in a piece of frosted glass on top of the condensor.