Dumb Fuji film pricing at B-H

Discussion in 'Casual Photo Conversations' started by steve_parrott, Dec 7, 2008.

1. I go through this everytime I order my Fuji Pro 400H film from B-H. You can get individual rolls, not imported, for $3.95 each. You can get the
    exact same thing stated as Imported for $3.35. Even B-H state there is no difference in the product. So right there why would anyone buy the
    "non-imported" film?

But even more weird than that is the B-H "kit" price for a box of 5 rolls. This box cost $19.95. Now, even if you bought 5 rolls of the "non-
    imported" film, that would only be $19.75. Why on Earth do they charge MORE for the 5 roll box than what 5 individual rolls cost? Quantity
    pricing is always less, at least with any other thing I have ever seen.

Of course, if you buy 5 rolls of the Imported film, (which is what I do), then the cost is only $16.75.

I can't see how B-H can have any sells of the 5 pack boxes or even the "non-imported" film stocks. Just makes no sense, but I still LOVE
    B-H above all other sellers, and as long as they keep the low Imported film price, I don't care what kind of screwy pricing they have on the
    other stocks.

Steve

2. Maybe Henry considers that the supplier charges him? :)
    Maybe the film that cost him more has to be priced more?
    Maybe Mr Inventory Contoll at B&H has more or one than another; and thus steers pricing to prevent film from going stale? ( sort of a like a farmer 5000 years ago adjusting prices; older bananas and grapes with a lower price?)
    maybe the imported stuff has less union workers
    maybe the imported stuff has less health care costs
    maybe the imported stuff has no job banks and bailouts
    maybe the imported workers are not fat
    maybe the imported stuff costs less to make?

3. Imported films were priced often lower than the USA stuff at NYC and Chicago and LA dealers even before B&H was born; its really nothing new. One could buy Kodachrome Regular 8 movie film and slide film in the early 1960's from dealers and if it was from imported it was priced lower. The cine with was from Kodak in france; the cine reg 8 was from Rochester; both worked well;t eh imported stuff was lower in cost.
    With out knowing what the cost of each product is its a goofy wild guess to say that B&H is dumb with pricing.

Markup in retail varies on the turnover and what the market will bare too.
    A slow moving item that doesnt sell quicky HAS to have a higher markup; than one that flies off the shelves.

B&H's Suppliers also have specials to move inventory; film has a shelf life; so does bananas and soda pop in 2 liter plastic bottles.
    A 52mm filter doesnt go bad sitting on the shelf; it just ties up money in inventory; it might be more saleable than a 51mm. Both the 51 and 52mm might have the same cost; but the oddball 51mm might be priced higher; since its a turnover/sales is less; its cost to carry as inventory is thus higher. The 52mm might also be sold by Bozo Photo; Acme Photo; Honest Slimes; and thus they might have to compete and have it priced less too.

4. Lets play that I sold B&H some stuff :)

Product #128 might have been bought with a 50 % discount

Product #145 might have a 40/10 discount; a 40 and 10 discount

Product #345 might be just a 25 percent discount; but to move the pipe line I give Henry's crafty buyer a 25/20/10 discount and they buy some more widgets for the holiday sales season.

Ok the normal list on the #325 is 100 bucks; a 25 percent discount means it cost 75 bucks; and I cannot get my foot in the door yet.
    Maybe Henrys buyer has allot of #325's already and thus I throw out a 25 and 20 offer; and at least I get to deal with the buyer. Then the cost would be 75 bucks and 20 percent more taken off; ie 75 times 0.80 = 60 bucks. . . the buyer still is not impressed and the poker game goes on and he askes for another "10"; ie a 25/20/10 deal.
    Thus I sell him ten #325's with a 25/20/10 discount; and maybe throw in some discounted terms to get them to pay me quicker.
    Thus the 100 buck list item was bought for 25/20/10 deal;
    ie 100*(1-.25)*(1-.80)*(1-.9)= 54 dollars.
    Maybe I gve him an invoice bill for 2% discount in 15 days; net 30 to get paid quicker; and I get really 54 *(1-.02)= 52.92 dollars for each #325.
    The buyer might even get free freight if he buys say 5 grand worth of my stuff too as a poker gambit.
    maybe next spring the gambit will be a 25/20/10/5 deal if economy is still slow! :)

5. Back during my film days I remember this as an answer, the pack was higher because of consistent emulsion characteristics as, more than likely, the box would contain film from the same run.
    Maybe true, maybe not. It's a story, perhaps somewhat true, especially with color films and you have an expensive gig to do where you want the best possibilities of consistent results.

6. As to why folks buy the USA film stuff it might be to keep us afloat; as a matter of pride; or its a LEGAL contact requirement; or one "just thinks its better".
    In buying 16mm and 8mm movie films for a public school long ago; we had to buy the USA cine stuff over the imported stuff it was the same product. We could buy the imported stuff if there was no usa product. Thus we bought the USA cine films for cine courses as a teachers program; but the bookstore had no USA versus import rules; they bought from old Garden or Olden camera the lower cost imported stuff.
    Thus one as teacher could buy the course materials ( imported overseas stuff) at a lower cost from the bookstore; since it was legally OK to buy materials from the bookstore; ie the import versus usa rules did NOT apply when one bought items on campus . Your govenment's rules at work.

7. How recently did you experience this price anomaly? A quick look at B&H shows USA rolls to be $6.15 and Import to be $3.99. A 20-roll pack of Import is exactly $3.99x20, and USA is $.05 cheaper as a 20-roll pack (big savings).
    Anyway, I do seem to recall that the old "pro-packs" (5 rolls) and 20-roll packs used to be a little bit less per roll; I'm not quite sure.
    Film prices are a little strange right now. Import Provia 100F is currently $4.99 at B&H, and Import Sensia 100 is $5.49. Maybe it's because of less production & demand for a consumer grade slide film.

8. Thanks everyone for your great answers. Eric: I bought the film just a few hours ago! Are you sure you were looking at the same film I
    mentioned, Fuji Pro 400H. Bill: Thanks for the info about the 5 packs. That was really my main point moreso than the US vs. Import price
    difference. Why the 5 pack costs MORE than individual rolls. Perhaps it is due to the film being from the same run, I have not heard of that
    before. Seems though, if that were the case, then B-H would state that fact in the description, but they do not. I'll just keep buying 5
    individual rolls of the Import!

steve

9. Steve -
    Here are the links I found:
    Import Fuji Pro 400H:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/396053-GREY/Fujifilm_15473707_Pro_400H_135_36_Professional.html
    USA Fuji Pro 400H:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/396053-USA/Fujifilm_15473707_Pro_400H_135_36_Professional.html
    If you got it for the prices you mentioned, well then - good on ya!

10. I am experiencing the same from my local supplier here in Italy. The difference between regular and imported is because they buy imported from distributors in other countries and they do it only if they find a lower price. As a matter of fact, while the price of regular is more or less stable, the price of imported floats according to the deal they get and sometimes of the currency exchange ratios.
    More or less the same applies to the 5-pack compared to single. Often they get offers from the distributor to buy a large stock of single packs with a discount, which they turn to the customer. In some other cases, if they have in stock film close to the expiry date, they play with the prices a little in order to promote the sales of the one that expires first. If the 5-pack expiry date is 10-2009 and the 1-pack is 3-2009, they have an obvious interests in pushing sales of the second one.

11. For Cryin' Out Loud! Stop Whining!
    Provia 100, 135-36 exp is $11.79 per roll ($13.33 after tax) at our large regional camera store in Ontario (Canada). Fuji Pro 400H (formerly NPH) is $11.99 per roll ($13.55 after tax). These prices do not include processing.
    Of course, when I was justifiying (to myself) the purchase of my first DSLR, I used Canadian, not US, film prices.....
    ;~))
    Shipping cost for film alone is too expensive, so, I must: buy film along with other stuff I order; wait till I visit the US; do without; or submit to extortion...BUT I'll Take B&H Film Prices Anyday!
    Cheers! Jay

12. I would never buy film from Bozo Photo! :]