DSLR-Compatible Speedlight for the $$$-Challenged

mwmcbroom

<p>I have to get by on a fixed income, which makes just even playing in the DSLR pool pretty damned difficult. For example, right now I'm using a flash -- a 420EZ -- that I bought back when it was Canon's best flash, some 23 years ago. My wife and I used it with a 35mm EOS Rebel for years, and it rendered perfectly exposed images. More recently, I've paired it with an Elan IIe, but because of its age, the IIe doesn't fully support all of its features. And now, using it with my EOS DSLR, it's only good in manual mode. But because I can chimp the photos, it's relatively easy to dial in the exposure setting, which I can then use for a session without much difficulty. But I miss the flexibility I once enjoyed with it. Unfortunately, buying a new 580 EX II -- or even a 430 -- is simply not in the cards. Not even a used one. No, I was thinking more like a plain EX, say like a 550 EX. Those go for fairly cheap on eBay, and yet I'll still get TTL flash automation with a plain EX flash.</p>

<p>But here's the reason for this post: what about an aftermarket flash, especially one of these new Yongnuo models, like the YN560 III? I'm not a brand snob, so I don't have problems using aftermarket anything, as long as it does what I need. I've read a couple of good reviews about this Yongnuo flash also, and haven't really come across any negative comments yet. It's priced very favorably, but it also makes me wonder about longevity. I've bought Chinese-built electronics in the past that literally fell apart after a few months of light use. If that happens with the flash, then I will consider it to have been a bad investment. I take very good care of my photo equipment, but then I didn't mistreat the cheapo Chinese electronic junk that fell apart, either. To be fair, though, I've bought other Chinese made electronics that are still going strong after heavy use.</p>

<p>So what would you do? Go for a 550EX (for example) or a Yongnuo YN560 III, with all its latest whiz-bang features but perhaps questionable longevity? Honestly, I'm leaning toward the Yongnuo, mostly because I'm kinda looking forward to being able to have access to all the latest features for a change -- without having to spend several hundred dollars just for an item that says "Canon" on the front.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I have 2 Yongnou 560 ex II's, 2 Yongnou 568 ex's, and 2 Yongnou YN622c radio triggers. All of them work great. I've put them through some real torture at a recent Habitat for Humanity event where they where fired probably 400 times in one night.The Yongnou 568's have full E-TTL functionality but might be a little pricey for you at close to $200 bucks. Yongnou does have other E-TTL flashes at different price points. The main difference I can see from lower price units and my 568's is that the 568's have rear curtain and hi-speed sync modes.</p>

<p>here's a link to the gallery of the Habitat for Humanity Event:</p>

<p><a href="http://stieferphotography.smugmug.com/Events/Habitat--Bird-House-2013/">http://stieferphotography.smugmug.com/Events/Habitat--Bird-House-2013/</a></p>

<p>It's a gamble. How lucky do you feel?</p>

<p>What features do you <strong>NEED? </strong>Specifically what features do you need (or even want) that a 550EX doesn't have? You should be able to pick up a used 550EX for under $150.</p>

<p>Heck, Bob, you know how it is, when you find out all the stuff an item can do, you decide pretty quickly that it's something you can't live without . . . or at least I have before. Honestly, the features my 420EZ have with cameras that support it have been sufficient. Such things as 2nd curtain sync, strobe effects, auto-zooming of the flash head when the lens is zoomed, several fractional manual settings. Having some master/slave capabilities built in and wifi would be nice too. So would high-speed flash (for motor drive use) and high-speed flash (for higher than flash-sync shutter speeds). And other things that I haven't even thought of yet.</p>

<p>Randy, yeah I dunno, the 568 looks very attractive, but the price is beginning to push it for me. I'll probaby be better off getting a 560 II or III and then see whether or not I even need anything more capable than it.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Come on Bob, there needs to be a way to connect the flash to Facebook.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>My friends told me to stop doing that. It hurts their eyes and is bad for their monitors.</p>

<p>I would be more tempted by a used 550ex than an off brand flash for advanced features.</p>

<p>I'm with Bob. I'd look for a deal on a Canon. I've had fantastic luck with Yongnuo wireless transmitters, but spotty luck with their strobes. Seems like a lot of folks have experienced that. Bob's "gamble" description was spot-on and is easily confirmed if you want to research in more depth.</p>

<p>A certain used gear retailer based near Atlanta is selling 550ex's for $159 and 580's for about $70 more, and you get a "no questions asked" return policy. Hard to beat that piece of mind. It's more than just the Canon nameplate- it is reasonable assurance the thing will work as designed when you turn it on...</p>

<p> </p>

<p>How much flash do you need? Canon US is having a <a href="http://shop.usa.canon.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductListingViewAll_10051_10051_-1_22751">promotion on refurbished lenses and speedlites through Saturday</a>. They list at 15% off the usual refurb price (and have in stock as of this writing...):</p>

<ul>

<li>Speedlite 430EXII Refurb: $203.99</li>

<li>Speedlite 320EX Refurb: $169.99</li>

<li>Speedlite 270EXII Refurb: $115.59</li>

</ul>

<p>They also list, but are currently out of stock on:</p>

<ul>

<li>Speedlite 600EX-RT Refurb: $373.99</li>

<li>Speedlite 580EX Refurb: $339.99</li>

</ul>

<p>You never know what day they may come in stock, so...</p>

<p>Canon Refurbs come with all the original bits and bobs you would get if new, and a 90-day warranty.</p>

<p>About a year and a half ago I bought a Yongnuo <strong>YN565EX</strong> and it works <strong>very</strong> well. Full E-TTL supported. Very well built! Metal foot. Modeling light, GN 58@iso100. Auto/manual zoom head. Functions identical to the Canon 580 EXII <em>EXCEPT</em> it won't act as a Canon master in a multiple flash set up (slave-yes!) or do high speed sync. Has multiple triggering modes (hot shoe, flash slave,Optical S1&2). 15 custom functions. Full communication with Canon body and other Canon flashes. Outboard power pack compatible. PC sync included.<br>

I have a set of Quantum flashes for more serious work so I just wanted an inexpensive ($130 new) flip flash with a good pop for casual snap shooting and to use on an extension for macro work. It has held up extremely well over time for my applications bouncing around my bag and the price was a fraction of the cost of the Canon unit. I always wary of gear made in China but this flash has been a solid performer. Used they run about $75.</p>