DSLR adapted to Large Format

steve_larese1

<p>Yes I have ( with a Cambo Ultimatte 35 rig and a now discontinued modification to Sinar P cameras and didn't really find it to worthwhile .<br>

To get decent results you need lenses that are truly Apochromatic lenses designed with very tight circles of confusion that are designed for small format digital capture, otherwise you won't get good iamge quality.<br>

Next you have problems with sensor plane to lens distances - you can only get the front and rear standards so close to each other (the problem is diminished if there is no rear frame holder) and you have the built in depth of the mirror box on your DSLR.<br>

once you start using swings or tilts or lateral or vertical shifts the camera viewfinder becomes useless so you'll need to either work tethered or use your camera's live view function.<br>

movements are restricted not only by the rear and front standard proximity but also vignetting caused by the DSLR mirror box opening.<br>

Is it worthwhile to play with? if the adapter is cheap enough why not? With the right lenses I can see some utility for extreme macro work but based on my experiences that is about it. </p>

<p>I adapted an old Calumet 4x5 to take my Canon 5DII. I mostly use front tilt for shooting jewelry and other table-top studio work and find that it's enough of an advantage to shift the plane of focus that it offsets the less than optimal lens. FWIW, I'm using Bronica PS lenses for now.<br>

<br>

I'm keeping an eye out for a good deal on a Cambo Ultima 35 or 23 for version 2. Eventually, I'll be able to afford those superb lenses and maybe the medium format digital back.</p>

<p>I've fitted small diameter LF lenses to a macro bellows on a DSLR, with less than stellar results. The problem mainly seems to be one of lack of contrast rather than lack of resolution.</p>

<p>I imagine that the larger bellows "cavern" of an LF camera might reduce the amount of internal reflection and so increase the contrast, but it would all depend on the reflectivity and cleanliness of the bellows. When I renewed some holed bellows on one of my 5x4 cameras, the new bellows were considerably darker and less reflective than the old ones.</p>

<p>A sidebar question for the pros who know bellows ...<br>

I see red bellows and other colors. Would it be probable that some internal reflectivity off the bellows walls gets added to the shot so that color film would have a color cast/veiling flare, etc?<br>

I just received a Calumet 4X5 with grey bellows, and am practicing using its various capabilities. Is it conceivable that the "lighter" color of the interior will produce less contrasty shots?<br>

I looked around P-net and he web and found no such info one way or the other.<br>

Thanks for any input.<br>

Jim</p>